Start time: Check availability
Live guide: English
What's not included
- Use of fishing gear
- Local juices and snacks
- Roundtrip transformations to/from boat harbor
- Gratuity (recommended)
- Departure details
- Wailoa Boat Harbor, 181 Manono St, Hilo, HI 96720, USA Take a taxi from the port to boat harbor (2 1/2 miles). Upon arriving at the boat harbor, proceed to slip #4 closest to the overpass. There your captain will be waiting to greet you.
- Returns to original departure point
If you have questions about accessibility, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 21759P19
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a strong physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- If you have questions about this tour or need help making your booking, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 21759P19
About the operator
Hilo Ocean Adventures
Joined in January 2013
#1 of 8 Boat Tours & Water Sports in Hilo
- 57letitiag00Educational Fun with Snorkeling and TurtlesA stimulating and interesting experience. Morgan our guide was really great - knowledgeable, professional, and conscientious. The snorkeling (a walk-in from the beach, no boat) was just the right amount of challenging without being difficult. HIGHLY RECOMMEND
- davidmM8829UB00An amazing dive center with a staff that treats you like family.I have been diving for decades and I always see new things but this is the first time I had this experience. I was the only one who signed up for the dive and the company still took me out to dive. They take customer service to a new level. I was greeted like I was family when I walked in the door. I was introduced to my dive master, Matt Leach who had both my tanks ready and was loading thee van to head to the beach. Matt explained the area and the dive with clear precision. He is a fantastic dive master and took great care of me for two dives. He asked me what I was hoping to see before we went in and told me that he might just know where to look. After we were done the staff asked me how my dive went with actual interest. I completely recommend this dive center to anyone who wants to dive, snorkel or even learn to swim. They do it all here and they even have a dive shop to get you what you need or what you forgot to bring!
- MichaelWilliiams002 tank turtle coveExcellent dive, lots of turtles, including a sleeping one. Mike was a great guide. Beautiful weather.
- mimi730005 stars for an epic change of perspectiveWe had an excellent SUP tour with Dylan, who is super kind and informative! The tour started bright and early at the Hilo Ocean Adventures storefront, which is actually an awesome location with parking and a perfect location that’s right on the water. Dylan ensured that we were prepped and ready to go with an overview of the day and super stable paddle boards. We were able to launch from the beach a short walk from the storefront and had a beautiful view of Mauna Kea once on the bay. Dylan answered all of our questions and pointed out the Hawksbill Turtles swimming in the bay. We spotted lots of fish and a spotted eagle ray, not to mention a couple of Ne ne on the beach! A huge thanks to Dylan and the Hilo Ocean Adventures team for a fantastic morning full of thoughtful suggestions and wonderful conversation.
- Josephine S00Shore divesWe had a great experience both at the shop and while doing shore dives with Hilo Ocean Adventure, great dives!
- rameyk202300Knowledgeable Guides, Local ExpertsDylan was a very knowledgeable guide that made us feel welcome and confident. His instruction was clear and direct, and we got to really maximize our time in the water. He pointed out a lot of interesting things to see, plus we got a bonus rundown of all the best kept secrets in terms of places to eat, views, beaches, and trails on the big island!
- Wanderer2431110814500Not for the experiencedWe had never been to Hilo before so thought hooking up with a snorkel group would be a quick and easy introduction to what Hilo had to offer off the coast. It did achieve this but not in the way we expected. We are very accomplished snorkelers having experienced many things around the world so for us, this tour underdelivered and the reef and sea life was well and truly overrated. The tour is only really worthwhile for someone that has never snorkelled before given the degree of instruction and safety (The write-up did indicate it was good for new snorkelers and children). The location was just a public beach with very limited coral based on world standards so very uneventful. Marine life was also very poor but this may off just been that particular day (But our experiences would indicate otherwise?). You can easily get to the same location using the free Hilo bus. The time in the water was very limited and one area that we were potentially meant to snorkel didn’t eventuate at the discretion of the guide. We left the dive centre late and got back early. The guide was competent irrespective and provided some great dining tips that we tried out later on our holiday. Hilo Adventures needs to provide a clearer description of the snorkelling tour on their web site to ensure people have a clearer expectation of what is on offer enabling customers to make informed decisions on whether this tour is suitable for them or not.
- MelanieWalker7000Scuba for lifeMy dive master was patient, knowledgable, helpful and I had a great time even with buoyancy problems 😂. Matt Leach explained everything before getting into the water… Safety, examined the perimeter, went over instructions and answered any questions.. I loved the dive and definitely would do it again!!
- S9140PSsamuelh005 Star Swim LessonsMy son needs swimming lessons and so far both the lessons he has taken have been outstanding, McKenna is a great teacher and very knowledgeable about the techniques and demonstrates them correctly. Very friendly and relaxed atmosphere... Highly recommended. After just a couple of sessions he can float and swim, needs some work on his technique but I envision him to be a strong swimmer after McKenna is done teaching him.
- rc51chick00Dive reviewThe DM was very nice and knowledgeable. However, once we descended it felt like "the race was on". We spent the whole dive just trying to keep up and not slowing down to enjoy the coral and sea life. Both tank dives we had cut them short (43 and 46 mins) due to the DM out of air and a hamstring cramp. Overall, it was a bit disappointing and would consider it a fair diving experience.
- annhenryyy00Shore diveExcellent dive. Rocky beach entry with great guidance from dive master Matt. Only 2 of us on dive so great personal attention. Would go again. Great equipment and staff.
- j0shjamesc00Had a great diveOur dive master was able to describe the route of the dive with great detail so there was no questions of where we were going. Had an incredible dive saw a few turtles as well as a ton of other wildlife. We were even able to upgrade to a two tank dive on the spot for another go on the other side of the site.
- HikerBikerSkierDiver00Great shop, challenging shore dive entry/exit, not much to seeOur dive master (Leach) was friendly, helpful and attentive during both of our dives. We did the 2-tank shore dive at Turtle Cove. The dives were just okay: visibility was good (75-100 ft), but there wasn't a lot to see (at least not on our day). The coral is covered in an ash-like particle and appears to still be damaged; not sure if that's from the '92 hurricane, but there was not a lot of beauty to see. We did see a few eels which were fun, but not one turtle. You will want to be conscious of your comfort level with an entry/exit that is off lava rocks. This was not a walk-in dive ---- we sat on the lava, put on our fins and then 'leaned' into the water. On exit: it was largely driven by tide/wave timing. For me, I have a knee issue and had a very difficult time timing the wave with my gear on. I wouldn't have been able to get out were it not for Leach standing there to allow me to use him to balance my position. For me, this was a VERY difficult egress. The shop was very organized. Leach was excellent. Should we return to Hilo, I think I would try to do a boat dive instead of the shore dive; unfortunately for us we were only in the area for the day, we arrived via cruise ship and were unable to make it on time for the boat dives.
- dorottya202300Scuba Lesson KidsMy daughter (age 9) was able to take some early scuba lessons before she can be certified at age 10. She has been asking to do this for a long time but we weren't sure how to make it happen. Hilo Ocean Adventures was the solution! She was able learn basic scuba skills in a pool at their location - with a patient and amazing teacher Mark. They also took her out to a very shallow, safe ocean environment. Thank you Hilo Ocean Adventures for making her dreams come true. We couldn't be happier!
- tamararL9661NT00Shore scuba dive in Hilo HawaiiExcellent, accommodating company. They got us in at the last moment. Matt was excellent!! Would definitely book with them again!!
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.