Barton Creek Cave is a stream cave located near San Ignacio in the Cayo District. It was used by ancient Mayan people for ceremonial purposes and it was discovered in 1970 and studied by archeologists in 1998. As you enter Barton creek, you will enjoy the scenery of the Mennonite Community and their traditional lifestyle. During the tour you will see sparkling crystal formation and learn about the Mayan history, archaeology and geology. The tour consists of exploring 1 mile of the massive 4.5 long cave which is yet to be discovered. Our next stop is the Butterfly Farm which is located in Western Belize, it is rich in wildlife and vegetation and holds the largest live butterfly display in Belize. Guests can enjoy bird watching or learn about the different species of plants and animals. The day ends with a picnic lunch or souvenir shopping. MINIMUM 2 person
Lowest price guaranteeReserve now & pay laterFree cancellation
Ages 4-85, max of 10 per group
Start time: Check availability
- Canoe, Head Lamp, Life Jacket and Helmets
- Lunch is provided for full day tours which includes fruits and Belizean cuisine.
- Entry/Admission - Barton Creek Cave
- Entry/Admission - Green Hills Butterfly Ranch
- Departure details
- Traveler pickup is offered.
- We do pick ups from hotels in San Ignacio, Cayo.
- Venus Hotel, 29 Burns Avenue, San Ignacio, Belize Please wait at the receptionist area.
- Midas Belize, Branch Mouth Road, San Ignacio, Belize Please wait at the receptionist area.
- Hotel pickup is offered. View the hotel list on our checkout page to see if yours is included among the pickup points.
- Returns to original departure point
If you have questions about accessibility, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 151558P6
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Infant seats available
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum 2 person
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- Which attractions will I visit with Barton Creek Cave & Butterfly Farm?
- During this experience, places you will visit include:Discover and book Barton Creek Cave & Butterfly Farm on Tripadvisor
- How much is Barton Creek Cave & Butterfly Farm?
- Barton Creek Cave & Butterfly Farm price starts from $158.98. Discover and book Barton Creek Cave & Butterfly Farm on Tripadvisor
- What is the Barton Creek Cave & Butterfly Farm cancellation policy?
- Barton Creek Cave & Butterfly Farm cancellation policy: For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Discover and book Barton Creek Cave & Butterfly Farm on Tripadvisor
- Which company provides Barton Creek Cave & Butterfly Farm?
- Barton Creek Cave & Butterfly Farm is hosted by Tukan Shuttles & Adventures. Read reviews, discover additonal experiences or contact Tukan Shuttles & Adventures on Tripadvisor. Discover and book Barton Creek Cave & Butterfly Farm on Tripadvisor
- If you have questions about this tour or need help making your booking, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 151558P6
Reserve your spot
- You’ll have 2 starting optionsOr, you can also get picked upSee departure details
- 1Barton Creek CaveStop: 3 hours - Admission includedSee details
- 2Green Hills Butterfly RanchStop: 2 hours - Admission includedSee details
- You'll return to the starting point
About the operator
Tukan Shuttles & Adventures
San Ignacio, Belize
Joined in April 2019
#8 of 32 Transportation in San Ignacio
- Michelle G00Spectacular Experience- Must Do!The road to the trail head is riddled with lot holes so it’s a bumpy ride. once you arrive, there are washrooms - USE THEM! It’s about 3.5 hrs before you will get access again. You can carry your water bottle for the 2km hike crossing 2 rivers to get to the cave entrance. Once there, you’ll leave everything behind because you will need both hands. Then the adventure begins - you will enter into the cold river and swim inside cave. Your guide will lead you along and you will follow the water, sometimes swimming, sometimes climbing over rocks, sometimes squeezing between them. Good shoes are a must - we wore water shoes with decent tread and they worked great. Wear socks! At one point you have to climb without shoes on and it would hurt to be barefoot. Some parts are steep but the guide tells you exactly where to place your hands and feet. Only 2 spots where you need to squeeze and it’s a bit scary but it’s only about a foot. I wore tight yoga pants and feel like I was the best equipped - they protected my legs when you had to sit or slide, and they didn’t cause any drag. Some agility was required; individuals with knee or back problems would probably have a difficult time of it. It was an amazing experience and a MUST DO excursion when in Belize!
- 1945DJM00Elias from Yule tour company was an outstanding guide.We had a day trip to Caracol Maya ruins with Elias from Yule travel being our guide and he was outstanding as his knowledge and enthusiasm came across is well. WE would definitely recommend Elias as the guide as, despite having visited another Maya site in Guatemala, we found out so much ore due to the guide. I should clasp mention that the lunch was first class.
- autumndrose00Relaxed and Informative ExperienceWonderful experience! Our guide was very knowledgeable of the cave and surrounding areas and we learned a lot! After the tour we were given snacks and as much time as we’d like to hang around the area and swim or do whatever. Highly recommend this experience if you are looking for a relaxed and informative way to explore the caves in this region.
- Kayanto00ATM cave experienceThis was a great experience. I highly recommend it if you're ever around here. Our guide, Philip, is a very knowledgeable man. He gave us detailed info about the cave formation and the Maya sacrifices. On top of that he's a funny guy too who made jokes and entertained us but at the same time he seriously knows a lot about the history and culture of his country. I'm glad we had him as our guide. He'll kindly send you pics, as it's not allowed to get in with cameras. He even sent me a complimentary documentary which he took part in it too. Worth every penny.
- Danparnell100Highly RecommendedOur guide Rudy with Toukan Adventures was great, throughout the canoe trip he provided the history of the cave and the Mayans that used in a story. We had the cave to ourselves, unlike most of the other tourist adventures and sites.
- boothvacation00Unexpected and unworldly!An unexpected surprise! Photos do not do this place justice. I would compare it with touring a cathedral. It is massive, high ceiling, gorgeous, and there is a real feeling of reverence.
- Seaside77366400One of Our Favorite DaysWent thru San Ignacio Shuttle Service. Our driver picked us up promptly and was a delight (Uedder). Sergio did our tour and they arranged for our tubes to be at the entrance so we didn't have to carry on the 1/2 hour informative walk. We swam in the beautiful water at the entrance and Sergio pulled us thru the cave and back to the start. We had a great lunch afterward and Uedder dropped us at the Belize water taxi. We are ages 65-73 and it was a perfect trip!
- Trail30522500Great Scenic Drive & Cave ExperienceIf you are not the most adventurous person, but want to see and experience a cave this is for you! The drive on Hummingbird Hwy is absolutely worth it—fantastic way to get an overview of the countryside. The canoe is a little tipsy, but no big issues. I would bring your own flashlight so you can look around on your own. Very good experience & enjoyable.
- Mainjane1200A beautiful serene and mystical tripPerfect for those for whom the ATM is too strenuous. A terrific combination of unbelievable natural beauty and ancient Maya lore. Find O’Neil of Caya expedition if you can.
- ChadKleinser00Caracol Mayan Ruins tourAmazing tour with a knowledgeable tour guide. Non stop facts and stories of the Mayans and of the entire country of Belize. A nice lunch after the ruins before trekking back and taking a dip in the Rio on pools. Great way to end the day. 100% recommend this tour company
- Coastal29043600Tour guide Rudy the bestOur tour guide, Rudy, was terrific. He was so knowledgeable-not just about the Mayan ruin but all things Belizean and beyond. It was clear that he loved the Mayan history and culture. He was well read and well trained outside of his work as a guide and it really showed. Even now, two days later, we are still in awe of his knowledge and talk about all the things we learned during our time with him. He was prompt, very polite, and cared not only for us but other visitors of the ruins. He took us to a delightful place for lunch near the reserve which appeared to be popular with all the guides. I cannot speak anymore highly of our time with Rudy and our trip to the reserve.
- andilhorning00Hidden GemMy husband and I did the Crystal Cave tour with Belize Caving Expeditions. Our guide was Miguel and he was fantastic. Provided great instruction and led us through this challenging and strenuous hike and cave with care. I was a bit concerned to do this cave as I had never done cave spelunking but so glad I did it. The hike to the cave was a semi-challenging 45 minute hike but not too bad if you are fit. The tour in the cave lasted about 3 hours and included crawling, climbing, sliding, etc. then a hike back down, a swim in the blue hole, and authentic Belizean lunch with homemade chicken burritos! Highly recommend for anyone looking for a tour that is more remote and less touristy. We were the only ones in the cave! Just may want to be in decent shape before attempting it.
- LYNETTE W00This was an amazing tour with Rudy and Tukan tours.We enjoyed this tour very much. Our guide, Rudy, was so good! He has such an enormous amount of knowledge about Xunantunich your head will burst! His information is accurate and captivating! I didn’t climb the ruin, but it was interesting that while I couldn’t see them, I could hear them talking up on the first level. Shortly after that, they got to the top in a quiet voice I told them that I could hear them and they responded ‘We can hear you too’. That was fun. I learned lore about the ball court, how the building of the Mayan temples was in levels and why. So interesting. Something I noticed was that we were not rushed through as other groups were. Rudy let us take our time and absorb the culture.
- H3ymax00Great tour highly recommendThe Caracol tour was very good and I highly recommend a visit to this remarkable historic site. Our tour guide Rudy was excellent and his encyclopedic knowledge of Mayan history and culture along with the flora, fauna and wildlife of the area made the visit so much better. If you have to choose between Caracol and Tikal it will be tough choice. Caracol is not has developed and does not have as imposing physical sites (although still amazing) but is situated in wilderness and had really no other visitors, it was like having it to yourself. This gave almost spiritual element to the visit. This may change when the new road is completed making it a much easier visit. Tikal was much more of a tourist destination (mainly local Guatemalans), this is understandable since it is an amazing site. Out guide to Tikal (thru MayaWalk) was OK but not close to Rudy in helping you understand the history etc. Caracol tour also had stops at the Rio Cave and Rio pools, these were both great visits and might weigh the choice in favor of Caracol. Recommend if you can to visit both sites.
- soccernmath00Best Mayan Ruin tour company!This was an amazing tour. Tukan Tours surpassed my expectations & Rudy was the best guide ever. Celine at the office was super helpful with information and details. The tour itself will take you through Pine forests & Mayan ruins that are breathtaking. You will see howler monkeys, may be crocodiles (we saw one!) and butterflies. Stopping at Rio Frío Cave & later being able to take a dip in the water was also refreshing. Don’t miss this one!!!
Buy it with
Barton Creek Cave & Butterfly Farm provided by Tukan Shuttles & Adventures
Product Overview: Barton Creek Cave & Butterfly Farm
Number of Photos