Lowest price guarantee
Start time: Check availability
Live guide: English
What's not included
- The tour rate includes all taxes, personal guide/driver with car, hotel pick-up and drop-off.
- There are no hidden costs.
- Gratuities for your tour guide are not included in tour fares, are payable at your discretion
- Please be at your hotel lobby/ pick-up address at the time noted.
- IMPORTANT: If you wish a different pick-up location you must inform us (extra fees apply).
- Gratuities for your tour guide are not included in tour fares, are payable at your discretion, and are greatly appreciated.
- Departure details
- Traveler pickup is offered.
- Departure Point: • Tavira • Olhão • Cabanas de Tavira For different locations, please let us know (extra fee apply)
- Hotel pickup is offered. View the hotel list on our checkout page to see if yours is included among the pickup points.
If you have questions about accessibility, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 70786P14
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum 2 pax
- Duration: 8 hours
- Most travelers can participate
- During the tour we will make stops according to the itinerary.
- Tour duration can be shortened upon your request.
- Our guides will be happy to help you to buy souvenirs during the tour. It is strictly prohibited for our guides to take any commission from the shops.
- This a private tour with your personal driver/guide – no other people will join the tour.
- • We use cars (up to 4 people) or minivans (5 - 7 people).
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.
- How much is The Historical West Algarve - Day Tour?
- The Historical West Algarve - Day Tour price starts from $132.12. Discover and book The Historical West Algarve - Day Tour on Tripadvisor
- What is the The Historical West Algarve - Day Tour cancellation policy?
- The Historical West Algarve - Day Tour cancellation policy: All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties. Discover and book The Historical West Algarve - Day Tour on Tripadvisor
- Which company provides The Historical West Algarve - Day Tour?
- The Historical West Algarve - Day Tour is hosted by BeCool Travel. Read reviews, discover additonal experiences or contact BeCool Travel on Tripadvisor. Discover and book The Historical West Algarve - Day Tour on Tripadvisor
- If you have questions about this tour or need help making your booking, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 70786P14
Reserve your spot
- You'll get picked upSee departure details
- 1SilvesStop: 8 hoursWonder back in time to the era of the Portuguese Discoveries. We start our day tour in Silves, Algarve's Moorish capital, visit Lagos, and finish in Sagres, on the southwestern tip of Europe. We start our tour in Silves, the former Moorish capital of the Algarve, under the name of Shielb. The city rises clustered around the red-stone walls of one of the Algarve's most well-preserved castles. Crowning the hill, it dominates the plains and the banks of the River Arade. The Islamic heritage is very striking, due to the city's importance when it was part of the Al Garb of the Al Andaluz, the powerful caliphate that dominated the Iberian peninsula for centuries. According to some authors, by the 11th century, when Silves was the capital of the Algarve, it surpassed Lisbon in size and importance. The city was also a significant centre of culture, home to poets, chroniclers, and lawmakers. The appeal of Silves lies beyond its rich heritage. The fertile lands around the River hold a wealth of orange orchards, perfuming the air when in blossom, and the streets of white houses reflect the sun and the blue sky. We cannot leave Silves without trying a “Morgado”, a typical delicacy of the Algarve countryside, using the local figs and almonds. Our next stop is the cosmopolitan city of Lagos, once a landmark of the Portuguese Discoveries, and refuge of pirates. Due to its unique bay and port, directly across from Africa, Lagos became a major point of departure and arrival for the ships that set sail in the discovery of new worlds. From here, Henry the Navigator dreamed of unknown lands and vast richness. Today, Lagos is a cosmopolitan city with a relaxed atmosphere, making it one of the most appealing locations in the Algarve. It is well worth visiting the city’s churches, museums, the castle, and the walls. We then head to Sagres, the legendary promontory. In 350 A.D. it was described by the Roman Rufus Festus Avienos: “vigorous cape, where sidereal light goes down, emerges proudly at the extreme point of rich Europe and goes into the saltwater of the ocean, inhabited by monsters. There is then a promontory with frightening cliffs dedicated to Saturn. The choppy seas boil and the rocky coast stretches for a long way”. Almost 22 centuries later we can still relate to its magic and splendour. The fortress celebrates the Prince Henry the Navigator: it was from here that he started the epic dream of daring the sea to find New Worlds, starting what we know today as globalization. Very close is Cabo de S. Vicente, with a chapel, a convent, the fortress, and the lighthouse, in the most south-westerly point in Portugal and in Europe. The cliffs are a vertiginous 60 meters high, dropping down into the furious spray of the waves. You can see from above fierce men climbing the rocks, and defying the Atlantic pounding waves to harvest goose barnacles in a very dangerous catch. This a tour where the past merges with the present, making of every moment an enduring memory. Find secret places and special moments off the beaten path and discover the Algarve others do not know about!Read more
- You'll return to the starting point
About the operator
Joined in February 2019
#48 of 104 Tours & Activities in Faro
- Christine D00Joseph AlgarveI posted asking for recommendations and chose Joseph Algarve , great choice. Beautiful clean car charming driver and a nice smooth drive , I booked a return and can not fault the service. 35 euros each way bargin Most importantly I felt safe thoroughly recommend
- 188charlesr00Summer holidayWe stayed in the Monica Isabella beach. We went self catering as we're read the reviews on the food we're not good. To be fair they were right. As for the rooms perfect. Carla on reception is amazing, friendly and very helpful. On the BEACH Praia dos Alemaes we met Monica and Nuno who own a section of the sun loungers on the beach. ( The CHEAPEST on the beach) They have a bar with very reasonable prices. They are so friendly and funny. They also recommended some good places to eat and see. Nicest people ever. Friends for ever. We did a boat trip to the caves, bbq on a secluded beach with a Dj. Absolutely brilliant had a ball. Some restaurants not so good so choose wisely. For us Urban Pizza was the best. They do a good variety and food is delicious and very reasonable. Overall very good relaxing holiday. You have the old town and new town. New Town is crazy but the old town is great. Beautiful atmosphere, restaurants, shops, bars all you want. But for us meeting Monica and Nuno on the beach was great. They are privately owned small business but they give you everything. Definitely the place to go. They are in between Hotel Monica Isabelle and the old town beautiful walk. We will meet again.
- kkirksilva00We enjoyed every minute of itVery well organized. Easy walking in low lying coastal Algarve, staying in the same hotel throughout. We enjoyed having the same driver, Antonio, for airport transfers and journeys to the start of daily walks. A suggestion for us Americans - if you included miles along with km.
- jonasdexter00very relaxingWe took the tour on a cloudy day since it was a bit cold for the beach, and it was a great choice. The driver didn't speak much English but we manage to communicate. The Rio Formosa is absolutely stunning. We recommend
- son1amartin00Lovely tourA great introduction to the Algarve countryside, totally different from our previous experiences. My folks loved it!
Detailed Reviews: Reviews order informed by descriptiveness of user-identified themes such as cleanliness, atmosphere, general tips and location information.
Jul 2019 • Family
We chose this tour because it had an historical accent, although a bit afraid that the kids would get bored. But that wasn't the case, our guide Liliana was very friendly and made sure they were involved and interested. It's was a nice tour, we had a bit of time to actually see the places, not just sitting on the van.
Written July 21, 2019
This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews as part of our industry-leading trust & safety standards. Read our transparency report to learn more.
Dear gellers_son, thank you for your great travel feedback and for your valuable comments. We are really happy that you and your family appreciate the tour!
Written July 22, 2019
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of Tripadvisor LLC.
Buy it with
The Historical West Algarve - Day Tour provided by BeCool Travel
Product Overview: The Historical West Algarve - Day Tour
Number of Reviews
Number of Photos