Recommended by 100% of travelers
Select Date and Travelers
Select tour language
Reserve Now & Pay Later
Low Price Guarantee
This half-day geothermal experience immerses you in the history and stories of the Waimangu Volcanic Valley. Explore Waimangu Volcanic Valley, the world’s youngest geothermal system, at your own pace with a range of options for all abilities and ambitions. Walks vary in length from the 1.5km features to 4.5km and cover a range of geothermal activity, nature and wildlife. At the end of your walk you can board a boat for a relaxing 45 minute cruise around the tranquil waters of Lake Rotomahana. Listen to the full history of the lake, the Pink and White Terraces and the Mount Tarawera Eruption from the on-board commentary and see geothermal sites not accessible by foot. Be sure to keep an eye out for the abundant native birdlife on the Lake.
- You'll get picked upSee Important Information for details
- 1Waimangu Volcanic ValleyStop: 3 hours - Admission includedExperience spectacular volcanic craters, enormous hot water springs, beautiful geothermal features, rare and unusual plant life, brilliantly coloured micro biology and a wide array of birds. We immerse visitors in the stories of the Mt Tarawera volcanic eruption, its people, and the resulting dramatic landscape changes that created the world’s youngest geothermal valley.Read more
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- GST (Goods and Services Tax)
- Entry/Admission - Waimangu Volcanic Valley
- Entry/Admission - Lake Rotomahana
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Service animals allowed
- Stroller accessible
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 22 travelers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Time of year
This was the best and up close time we spent in the valley looking at Geo Thermals. The boat cruise should not be missed as you watch native birds, steaming cliffs, eruption sites and craters. We saw many eruptions and amazing view on our cruise. This is a definitely one boat…
Date of experience: February 2020
Write a review
What was your experience like?
Share your best travel photo
Let the world see your experience through your eyes.
Get quick answers
Ask fellow travelers and attraction managers your top questions.
About the operator
This experience only has a few reviews, but you can read what other travelers have to say about the operator.
By: Thermal Land Shuttle
Keith is amazing!
We needed a shuttle to take us and bikes to do te ara ahi bike track. Keith went above just getting us from a to b,…
Awesome Driver and Experience
Our shuttle driver Keith was very knowledgeable and friendly. He showed us many local attractions on the way to Wai…
Experience as advertised complete with green and red colored water as well as lots of steam.
I view this as the best of the geothermal experiences. We did go to Hell's gate whose attraction is ability to have…
Go. Go and make sure you have plenty of time! We had a good time and saw many beautiful things here. The natural si…
Great guide, interesting experience
Our guide Akira was very informative and passionate about the tour. He was prompt with pickup and had a good itiner…
Keith from the Thermal Land Shuttle drove us to Wai-O-Tapo and Rainbow mountain today. We enjoyed travelling with …
Great afternoon in Wai-O-Tapu
Took the 12p shuttle from the YHA to Wai-O-Tapu today. It was seamless and reliable. The tour driver gave interes…
World’s biggest hot spring
Brilliant day out both at Wai-O-Tapu and Waimangu valley. Keith the driver was excellent, very informative and knew…
Nice caring peoople, cool side stops at the road, great colours and photos in Waiotapu :) all in all a great tour �…
Great service , great experience and great guide
Great service , great experience and great guide thank you especially the guide Akira ! very passionate , friendly…
The springs are fabulous and this was a well organised and flexible tour. However there were 22 of us on a 22 seate…
Amazing experience in the volcano area
Everything was perfectly organized - from the pick up at the hotel to the drop off - in order for you to see both s…
Fantastic natural display let down
"Thermal Wonderland" absolutely describes what you see. The driver was very knowledgeable and gave plenty of inform…
Had a great time ! The driver was very friendly and very helpful. He even showed us another walk of a lake near Rai…
Great for transport, overview commentray and self-tour
I was looking primarily for transport to Wai-O-Tapu and Waimangu Valley without a full guided we-all-stick-together…
- Duration: 5h
- Mobile Ticket Accepted
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Instant Confirmation
- Pickup offered
- Languages Offered: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish
Why Book on Tripadvisor?
- Reserve Now & Pay Later
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Low Price Guarantee
- No Booking Fees
- Secure Payments
- 24/7 SupportCall:+1 855 275 5071
Travelers also viewed
Frequently bought together
Popular: Booked by 363 travelers!
Popular: Booked by 5,370 travelers!
Popular: Booked by 4,422 travelers!
Popular: Booked by 973 travelers!
Popular: Booked by 413 travelers!
Frequently Asked Questions about Waimangu Volcanic Valley with Boat Cruise Tour
- Waimangu Volcanic Valley with Boat Cruise Tour price starts from $103.27. Discover and book Waimangu Volcanic Valley with Boat Cruise Tour on Tripadvisor
- Waimangu Volcanic Valley with Boat Cruise Tour cancellation policy: For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Discover and book Waimangu Volcanic Valley with Boat Cruise Tour on Tripadvisor
- Waimangu Volcanic Valley with Boat Cruise Tour is hosted by Thermal Land Shuttle. Read reviews, discover additonal experiences or contact Thermal Land Shuttle on Tripadvisor. Discover and book Waimangu Volcanic Valley with Boat Cruise Tour on Tripadvisor
- On average, this experience will take approximately 5h. Discover and book Waimangu Volcanic Valley with Boat Cruise Tour on Tripadvisor