Wild Australian Wildlife 4WD Tour from Sydney
By Boutique Tours Australia
Recommended by 96% of travelers
This number is based on the percentage of all Tripadvisor reviews for this product that have a bubble rating of 4 or higher
The sweeping mountains, scenic woodlands, and native wildlife of the Southern Highlands lie just south of Sydney. On this tour, venture off-road on a 4WD wildlife safari through this scenic region. Enjoy a unique opportunity to spot kangaroos, koalas, emus, and wombats in their natural environment, and stay out after dark to look for nocturnal wildlife.
Explore other options
This product is unavailable to book via Tripadvisor. Contact the supplier for availability.
Lowest price guaranteeReserve now & pay laterFree cancellation
Ages 6-99, max of 11 per group
Start time: Check availability
- Go on an off-road wildlife safari in a customized Mercedes 4WD vehicle
- Enjoy lunch or afternoon tea plus a traditional Aussie dinner at an Outback pub
- Increased wildlife sightings: explore the bush with a naturalist guide
- Personalized experience: small group limited to 11 people
What's not included
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Local guide
- Lunch or afternoon tea (depending on the time of year)
- Drinks are not included
- Transport by air-conditioned luxury 4WD vehicle
- Entry/Admission - Berrima
- After being picked up from your central Sydney hotel, meet your naturalist guide and small group. Traveling aboard an air-conditioned 4WD safari vehicle, admiring the scenery as you journey into the Southern Highlands. Accompanied by your guide, venture off-road to explore the wild bush of the highlands. Watch for Australian wildlife such as kangaroos, koalas, and wallabies, all of which inhabit the area. If you’re lucky you might even spot a platypus or emu. Your guide offers tips for spotting animals, and how to approach or take photos without disturbing them. After lunch or afternoon tea, continue your safari until dusk, when you can spot nocturnal creatures such as possums and echidnas. Finally, finish your wildlife adventure with a delicious dinner at a traditional pub in the heart of the Australian Outback—a fitting way to end the day—before being dropped off at your Sydney hotel.
- Departure details
- Traveler pickup is offered.
- Pick up is available from many central Sydney city hotels and times vary at different times of the year. Please contact Boutique Tours to confirm your closest alternative pick up location and time. Please wait outside your agreed pickup location 10 minutes beforehand. Please do not wait at a different location unless this has been confirmed beforehand.
- Hotel pickup is offered. View the hotel list on our checkout page to see if yours is included among the pickup points.
- Returns to original departure point
If you have questions about accessibility, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 5969BWLT
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A maximum of 11 people per tour
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Please bring sun protection for the day, warm clothing for night time, and wear comfortable walking shoes
- Not recommended for travelers with limited mobility or walking aids
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Not recommended for children under 6 years of age
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 11 travelers
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- A note from Wild Australian Wildlife 4WD Tour from Sydney
What you can expect during your visit
- Registered COVID Safe Business and recognised as COVID Ready with Australian Tourism Export Council.
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Contactless payment for gratuities and add-ons
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Safety precautions are provided by the property and are not checked by Tripadvisor for accuracy.
- If you have questions about this tour or need help making your booking, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 5969BWLT
- You'll get picked upSee departure details
- 1Southern HighlandsStop: 7 hoursSee details
- 2The Surveyor General InnStop: 2 hours - Admission includedSee details
- You'll return to the starting point
About the operator
Don’t take it from us – here’s what people have to say about this operator.
Fantastic Day Trip
We have just visited Australia from the UK and one of the highlights of our holiday has to be our Hunter Valley Win…
Epic day out
Absolutely brilliant day. My friend and I booked this tour and because of the COVID impacting tourism and it being …
Full but well balanced with wine, scenery and lunch
Great wine tour with Jim to Hunter Valley. Takes about 2.5 hours to get up there but Jim was full of useful informa…
Blue Mountains and Featherdale Wildlife tour guided by Scottie
Our tour guide Scottie made the long ride into the Blue Mountains so entertaining! He was the opposite of a memoriz…
Hunter Valley wine tour
Spent a great day with our guide Chris in Hunter Valley wine tasting! Everything was very smooth and Chris was very…
Wildlife tour w/Scotty
Our wildlife tour with Scotty was amazing. Scotty clearly new exactly where to take us and exactly when. We must ha…
Amazing tour of Blue Mountains
This tour is highly recommended - we had a super guide called Robert who was very knowledgeable and looked after us…
Amazing time with superb guide!
We got really lucky with our tour. First of all, not every tour is lucky enough to see as many animals as we did. …
Well worth the time and the dollar.
Very knowledgable guide, Sean, gave great info. Bout the city, blue mountain, the trees, and the animals. A lot of …
Excellent wine tour
This tour was part of our holiday. (Indian Pacific train from Perth to Sydney. ) Our guide for the day was Andrew,…
Aussie wildlife tours
Zoe was fantastic! Knowledgeable and so funny! We saw everything we went to see even flying foxes which she took an…
Enjoyed our trip today with Boutique tours. Our guide was great! She was fun and very knowledgeable of the Bush and…
Very good. We were added to their tour as the company we booked through couldn’t do it . The guide Jason was excell…
1. Not informed delay time of pickup 2. Cheap commercial presentation of wine 3. Lunch 4. Rubbish cheese “ tasting…
Unchartered Blue Mountains - Boutique tours
Very nice guide, and beautiful scenic views, but this tour is mostly for the elderly, the very tired or people in p…
Detailed Reviews: Reviews order informed by descriptiveness of user-identified themes such as cleanliness, atmosphere, general tips and location information.
Great trip! Saw many Roos, emu, wombats, birds including kookaburras! John was the perfect tour guide. A good lunch and dinner are included. Long day but passed quickly.
Written February 27, 2020
Thanks Hockeybo for your review our of Wildlife tour! We're thrilled to receive 5 stars from you, thanks so much - sounds like you got to see a whole host of native animals, and how awesome are the kookaburras! One of our favourite birds. All the best, the Boutique Tours team.
Written March 9, 2020
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
We attended this tour in February 2020 and it was one of the highlights of our vacation. Instead of being brought to a tourist park or a zoo this tour took us with a very small group of people into an adorable town for lunch, Then off in search of animals In their natural habitats With a stop at the historic local pub for dinner. The food was fabulous! It is not guaranteed to see anything but we were able to see probably over 100 kangaroos, 5 Emus, and 13 wombats. Many of the animals come out at dusk. John was our guide and we found him energetic, enthusiastic, very kind and entertaining. Very beautiful scenery and so much more exciting to find the animals in their natural habitat then stuck in a small enclosure at a zoo. Thank you boutique tours of Australia!
Written February 18, 2020
We're soo thrilled to hear about your time on our Wildlife tour! It sounds like you had a wonderful trip with John searching for our Aussie animals in their natural habitat. It is such a thrill to see them in the wild isn't it! We're pleased to hear you enjoyed the meals too - they are also some of our favourite spots to eat in Australia! All the best, the Boutique Tours team.
Written February 24, 2020
an awesome way to see the animals and things you won't experience in the city. Pick up and drop off points were limited so check into that. Our driver was on time and friendly. We saw more animals closer to dusk as it was very hot the day of our tour. We enjoyed seeing the kangaroos, wallabys, wombats and emus. We even saw a joey go in the pouch! Spot lighting at night for wombats was definitely a first for us. Our tour took us the Bee and Bear cafe along with the Surveyor General Inn in Berrima both were unique and well worth the visit.
Written February 3, 2020
Thanks for your review of our Wildlife Tour! So glad to hear you got to see so many different types of animals - and a kangaroo joey, how special! All the best for the rest of your time in Australia, the Boutique Tours team.
Written February 9, 2020
This tour was perfect. I’m so glad I did it! We saw tons of animals: 3 adult emus, 2 emu chicks, countless kangaroos, 2 wallabies, 2 foxes, 5 wombats (my personal favorite), a few water monitors, a skink and a plethora of beautiful birds. Our guide, Chris, was a wealth of information. He knew so much about the wildlife and did an excellent job teaching our little group about Australian wildlife. He also graciously answered questions about Australia in general. Highly recommend this tour!
Written December 14, 2019
Thank you for your review of our Wildlife tour - it sounds like you had a wonderful time and got to see so many of our native animals in their natural habitat! We're glad you learnt a lot, not just about our Aussie animals, but about our country as well. We'll be sure to pass the feedback on to Chris! All the best, the Boutique Tours team.
Written December 26, 2019
we were picked up on time and spent the day searching and finding wallabys, kangaroos, Koalas,parrots and more after dinner a night time run produced more animals including many Wambats. A long day but well worth it...
Written October 21, 2019
Thank you for writing us a review, and we are so glad that we exceeded your expectations with our Wildlife tour! It sounds like you got to see so many of our beautiful animals in the wild, a special experience indeed. All the best for the rest of your time here, the Boutique Tours team.
Written October 23, 2019
This tour started our time in Sydney and was better than we imagined. A nice 4WD Mercedes van picked us up, we had an ex-zookeeper guide who knew her stuff, had excellent lunch and dinner meals and managed to see almost every animal we were hoping for. Our guide Zoe had excellent eyes and could see things we couldn't, animals camouflaging with their environment. She tried her hardest to get us into the best position for photos and didn't rest until we were happy. A long day, 11hours, but well worth it.
Written October 21, 2019
Thank you Sally & Texas Tom for the fabulous review! It sounds like a wonderful way to kick off your time in Sydney, and we hope it has created lasting memories of your time here in Australia. We're so pleased you got to see so many of our animals in their native environment, and hope you got lots of great photos to take home with you! All the best, the Boutique Tours team.
Written October 21, 2019
We weren't too sure what this tour had in store for us - we have done wildlife tours around the world where sometimes you see zilch. But that wasn't the case for this tour! Our amazing guide Zoe went above and beyond, literally, to find us every native, introduced and farmed animal found in this region. She was running through the bush, climbing cliffs, crossing the river and pointing out some of the most amazing animals we have every seen! Kangaroos (with babies!), wallabies (with babies!), wombats, possums, platypus, lizards, spiders, a huge variety of birds like cockatoos, parrots, emu, kookaburra, native ducks, ducklings and even owls! We saw foxes and rabbits, deer, cows, horses and foals! We didn't see a koala, but this tour still surpassed our expectations. All thanks to our guide Zoe. She was waiting for us when we came out of our hotel, and immediately made us feel comfortable. She was friendly, warm, charismatic, and a wealth of information! So knowledgable about everything we saw, there wasn't a question she couldn't answer. And she didn't hesitate Googling it if she had to - it seemed like she got a kick out of learning and experiencing this tour with us. She was definitely the highlight of our tour. THANK YOU ZOE!
Written October 21, 2019
Wow what an amazing review, thank you "crazyanimalgirl" for taking the time to write this for us! We can't wait to pass this on to Zoe, she will be thrilled. We're so excited that you had such an amazing time on our Wildlife in the Wild tour - and we hope it was up there as one of the best you've seen :) Wishing you all the best for the rest of your time in Australia, the Boutique Tours team.
Written October 21, 2019
What a great adventure we had with Boutique Tour guide Zoey and 6 other travelers from UK and US. It was a long day out to the bush and back, but the time went quickly with the informative and fun commentary. We didn’t see a koala or platypus, but we gave it a good try! We did see lots of kangaroos, wallabies and beautiful birds and lots of baby “Joeys”. Our group was probably the most excited to see the wombats after dark! Highly recommend this adventure, ask for Zoey! She’s amazing!
Written October 20, 2019
Thank you so much for your review of our Wildlife tour! We will be sure to pass this amazing feedback on to Zoe for you. She certainly goes above and beyond and we are so grateful that she is a part of our team. It sounds like you got to see some amazing native animals, the wombats are certainly a treat! Wishing you all the best for the rest of your time here, the Boutique Tours team.
Written October 21, 2019
We booked this tour on our first day arriving in Sydney. What a way to start our vacation! Our guide, Miranda, was so full of energy and excitement about her job that it was contagious. She brought us out in the bush where she pointed out lots of wildlife, including kangaroo, possums, wallaby, ants and lots and lots of birds. During the tour we stopped at a quaint little town for lunch and then later for dinner and drinks, both of which were tasty. We also had time to do a little shopping in the town before we headed back to Sydney.
Written September 30, 2019
So glad to hear you had a wonderful time on our Wildlife Tour! We're so pleased it was a fantastic way to start off your vacation in Australia, we hope it created lasting memories for you. We will be sure to pass on your feedback to Miranda! All the best for the rest of your time in Australia, the Boutique Tours team.
Written October 2, 2019
Our tour with Sydney boutique wildlife tours was phenomenal! Scott, our guide was a wealth of information on not only wildlife, but Australian history and aboriginal culture. It was a cold and windy day (much colder then the city, so be prepared!), but we still managed to spot a koala, emu, kangaroos galore, wallabies, wombat, platypus and two types of possum! Wow!Lunch and dinner were delicious! It was a long day for my 7 year old, but she had a fantastic time as well and is on a continuous hunt for the next koala sighing! Thanks Scott for the fun and educational day, we had a great time. Highly recommended!
Written August 21, 2019
Hi there, we are so thrilled to hear about your outstanding time with Scott on our Wildlife tour! Thank you for taking the time to post a review, we appreciate it. We're so glad you learnt a lot and got to see such a wide array of Aussie animals, and that your 7 year old enjoyed her time too! All the best for the rest of your time in Australia, the Boutique Tours team.
Written August 21, 2019
Showing results 1-10 of 56
Hi I have COPD so I have to be cautious about any "walking". Does this tour involve a lot of hiking in areas with hills/inclines. I am good on flat or near flat land. Thank you
At night there is some walking through brush and on a downhill incline when we went. There is the opportunity to stay with the vehicle. As there are only a max of eight passengers, we had six, the guide can accomodate you.
We are coming to Sydney next week. We have a 2 year old kid. Is it okay for us to take the tour? Also do you serve vegetarian food for lunch?
The meal was a evening meal at a pub which had one non-meat pasta dish.
Hello, I see departure is 11am. Please confirm. Will you pick up in Ultimo at our hotel? What pub will we have dinner at? Is that an extra fee? What time will we return to our hotel? Thank you Julie
Hi Julie. I’m not associated with the tour at all. I just went on it as part of our vaca. However, when we took it we did get picked up at about 11:00 from our hotel, but others were picked up earlier and others after us. We ate at a very cool pub/bar in Berrima for dinner, and at a little cafe for lunch. Those meals were included in our tour. We got back well after dark. 10:00 or so. You will want to talk to the tour company for more accurate details concerning your reservations, etc.. We really enjoyed the entire experience. Hope you do too.
Hi, is there a minimum number for the tour to be confirmed? Will it be cancelled last minute?
Hi - I’m not able to answer this question . Maybe call the company direct however they are very professional and doubt they would confirm your booking and cancel on you. Hope you enjoy.