Enjoy complimentary coffee, tea and water upon arrival before embarking on the 3.5 hour culinary journey ahead.
After washing of hands and putting on aprons (provided), the instructor presents the 3 course menu to be cooked, the ingredients to be used and explains their significance to the local cuisine. Although the menu may vary according to season, fish, free-roaming lamb and skyr are classic ingredients. As this is a hands-on, highly interactive cooking class, participants work together in pairs or small teams, under close supervision of the instructor.
When cooking and preparation of the different dishes and accompaniments is well underway (ca 1.5 hours) it is time for a short „tasting session break“. Your host presents a selection of traditional specialties for participants to taste, accompanied with a glass of local beer, and talks about local food, traditions, history and culture.
It is then time to finish preparing the three course meal. As preparation of each course is finished it is plated and served at the dining table. The starter and the main course are each accompanied with a glass of wine. The dessert is accompanied with coffee or tea.
• Salt Eldhus, Thorunnartun 2 Skúlatún House, Reykjavik 105 Iceland
• Pan fried Arctic char (skin-on) with fennel-orange salat and mustard sauce -
• Herb-crusted rack of free-roaming Icelandic lamb - Served with either fondant or Hasselback potatoes, Mother-of-Thyme Jus, sautéed red cabbage with raisins and green pea purée with mint.
• Skyr pudding - Served with caramelized whey cheese sauce and toasted oats.
• Pan fried Arctic char (skin on) with pressed potatoe salat
• Cod loin with browned butter - Served with creamed organic barley, quick pickled pearl onions and either parsnip purée or celeriac.
• Skyr pudding - Served with caramelized whey cheese sauce and baked white chocolate