What You'll Do
Meet up with your Local Host, who will have planned a bespoke itinerary for you, and take a tram from the centre of Lisbon to the district of Belém. This historic area is packed with monuments and architecture from the 16th century Age of Discovery. Here you'll see the Torre de Belém, an ornate fortress which was built in 1551 and is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, as well as the Padrão dos Descobrimentos (Monument to the Discoveries). Your Local Host will be able to provide some local insights too!
No trip to Belém would be complete without the pilgrimage to the bakery where the iconic Pastéis de Belém are still made using a secret ancient recipe! Let your Local Host introduce you to these sweet treats and taste the unique, cinnamon flavour that only the Belém pastry has in its custard tarts.
Next take the train with your Local Host to Cascais. This was once a sleepy fishing village but now it’s the favourite spot for Lisboetas who want to escape the city and enjoy the beautiful beaches and amazing surf.
Enjoy a delicious lunch at one of the beach front restaurants where you'll find exquisite, fresh seafood cooked in the traditional ways. Cool down with some local sangria, beer or soft drinks too.
Before you relax on the beach or head up to the cliffs for views over the Atlantic, explore the village and visit the Casa das Histórias which is dedicated to the artist Paula Rego (the Museum of Stories), and 17th-century St. Sebastian Chapel Museum. Here you'll find an eclectic collection of beautiful Portuguese tiles, delicate china and sculptures.
Throughout the experience you’ll spend time getting to know your Local Host, who’ll not only provide local insights on the day, but will also be able to provide local hints and tips for the rest of
What To Expect
* Join a Local Host and take the tram to the historic Belém district, where you'll see monuments dedicated to the Age of Discovery
* Visit the Belém Tower and the Monument to the Discoveries, and explore this historic area
* Taste the famous Pastéis de Belém in the pastry shop where they have been made using a secret and ancient recipe since 1837
* Take the train to Cascais and enjoy some time at the beach!
* Enjoy a delicious seafood lunch and taste the traditional flavours of the region
* Explore this old fishing village which has become a popular beach getaway for Lisbon locals!
* Visit the Museum of Stories or the St. Sebastian Chapel Museum