Wander the streets of the Georgian New Town where Scottish ingenuity paved the way to the modern era. Retrace the steps of the philosphers, artists, scientists, and engineers who dared to think of a better tomorrow and made Edinburgh a hotbed of genius. The tour concludes with beautiful views from the top of Calton Hill, where you will discover a not so ancient Greek temple and learn about a curious way to tell the time. Our tours are private, with customisable content, duration and routes, so we can focus on the aspects of Edinburgh's history that our guests are most interested in. Calton Hill may prove difficult for those in a wheelchair or with baby strollers. If you have any concerns please let us know prior and we can adapt your tour accordingly.
per adult (price varies by group size)
Lowest price guaranteeReserve now & pay laterFree cancellation
Start time: Check availability
Live guide: German, English
- Your own personal tour with your own private guide.
- Departure details
- West Register House, 17 Charlotte Square, Edinburgh EH2 4DF, UK Starting outside West Register House, we will arrange with you the easiest way for you to identify us prior to commencing your tour.
- Calton Hill, Edinburgh EH7 5BN, UK We finish the tour at the top of Carlton Hill.
If you have questions about accessibility, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 204624P2
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- Which attractions will I visit with Private Edinburgh New Town History Tour - The Athens of the North?
- During this experience, places you will visit include:Discover and book Private Edinburgh New Town History Tour - The Athens of the North on Tripadvisor
- How much is Private Edinburgh New Town History Tour - The Athens of the North?
- Private Edinburgh New Town History Tour - The Athens of the North price starts from $28.67. Discover and book Private Edinburgh New Town History Tour - The Athens of the North on Tripadvisor
- What is the Private Edinburgh New Town History Tour - The Athens of the North cancellation policy?
- Private Edinburgh New Town History Tour - The Athens of the North cancellation policy: For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Discover and book Private Edinburgh New Town History Tour - The Athens of the North on Tripadvisor
- Which company provides Private Edinburgh New Town History Tour - The Athens of the North?
- Private Edinburgh New Town History Tour - The Athens of the North is hosted by Thistle Stop Tours. Read reviews, discover additonal experiences or contact Thistle Stop Tours on Tripadvisor. Discover and book Private Edinburgh New Town History Tour - The Athens of the North on Tripadvisor
- If you have questions about this tour or need help making your booking, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 204624P2
Reserve your spot
- You'll start atWest Register House17 Charlotte Square, Edinburgh EH2 4DF, UKStarting outside West Register House, we will arrange with you the easiest way for you to identify us prior to commencing your tour.See address & details
- 1Charlotte SquareStop: 20 minutesSee details
- 2Assembly RoomsStop: 40 minutesSee details
- 3Scott MonumentStop: 30 minutesSee details
- 4Calton HillStop: 30 minutesSee details
- You'll end atCalton HillCalton Hill, Edinburgh EH7 5BN, UKWe finish the tour at the top of Carlton Hill.See address & details
About the operator
Thistle Stop Tours
Joined in October 2019
#58 of 158 Outdoor Activities in Edinburgh
- Skier201800Navigation skills trainingI hired Mike for the day and we did some lowland navigation skills training in Northumberland around Bamburgh. A really useful and enjoyable day out..Mike is a very good instructor and teaches navigation skills to the army so is very accurate and clear as well as being great company. Highly recommended.
- ScottishWalker8400Arrochar Hill WalkingGroup hillwalking led by Mike from Thistle Stop Tours. Excellent planning and coordination. Very knowledgeable guide with tailored trips suitable for groups of all levels of ability. Very highly recommended.
- Andrew R00Spectacular scenery with friendly and knowledgeable guide.Me and my wife took a day trip to Edinburgh post lockdown. Whilst there we came across Thistle Stop Tours and the idea of a sunset picnic on Arthur’s seat sounded amazing. Not only did our guide provide us with some great snacks (and a wee whisky) but I never knew about the detail of history around Holyrood Park. We had a fascinating time and learnt so much, we were even given pointers about where we could eat and visit; this was invaluable considering how difficult it is to work out what is open post lockdown. Thanks again Mike and hope to visit again soon.
- annecharlottek79300Mr KarlssonA really nice tour with our guide Juliette. A little extra of toture chamber for my 50!th birthday🏴💕
- demonpip00A truly memorable experienceHaving wanted to do a tour like this for ages, I finally got round to booking it and I'm pleased to report that Mike did not disappoint. I had been concerned that my 2 boys would find it a little dull (having surgically removed them from the ps4) but Mike managed to keep them engaged for the entire tour. His knowledge is outstanding, and he was incredibly attentive, he really makes you feel like you are in safe hands. Be sure to ask him about the ghost of the old man..its quite the story!! I really can't recommend this tour enough. I for one am hoping to book another tour with Mike really soon.
- flauschmauz00Close Encounters of the best kindMy German family and I came on a history walking tour of the Old Town. We were delighted to get our own private tour, and with a German speaking guide, no less. Some of us are really into their history and have very specific interests, and one person has mobility issues, but our guide adapted the tour so that we all got something out of it, we learned a lot and had some laughs along the way. The weather was quite "authentic", as our guide put it, but the Royal Mile was far too interesting to get grumpy. You'd never expect to find so many little spots and anecdotes hidden in the closes. I highly recommend Thistle Stop Tours to anyone wanting an overview of Edinburgh's history or a deep dive into specific topics. The guides are competent and accommodating, we felt that they listened to what we wanted throughout the booking process and the tour itself. It was a great experience overall, we'll surely be back to do the New Town tour on our next visit.
- Richard J00Fascinating TourWho would have thought you can hardly take 2 steps down the Royal Mile without becoming immersed in all sorts of interesting historical events and factoids. Really interesting tour with a very knowledgeable guide. I learned a lot and was fascinated by it. Now if only I could remember half of what was covered!
- LauraC7953003 Peaks ChallengeWe had the pleasure to have Mike as our guide for the three peak challenge, and we are very thankful because without him we wouldn't make it! I extremely recommend him, very experienced guide and for sure at the end of your tour, you will gain some survival skills!
- Curlydeez00Three peaks challengeI had never done anything quite like this challenge - 3 biggest peaks in England, Wales and Scotland in 24 hours. It was tough (800 flights of stairs climbed in 24 hours) and some of the worst weather conditions I have ever hiked in (poor visibility and rainy ++). Mike was a fantastic guide - motivating, ultra prepared and supportive. When the weather was awful he took as on alternative routes to the peak. Similarly he adjusted the routes on the way down as my knee was playing up, so we took the gentle descent. The hike would not have been possible without him. Very grateful and would 100% recommend him.
- Becky S00Great family tourMy family and I were visiting Edinburgh and had no idea where to start. We booked onto the Close Encounter tour and it was absolutely brilliant! The combination of enthusiastic story telling and education was spot on and who would have known the Royal Mile had so many hidden secrets. Thankyou one again.
- EcksMarksTheSpot00Fantastic day hike in very experienced hands 10/10Mike guided myself and a friend up Ben More and Stob Binnein; an 8 hour day hike - we couldn't have wished for a friendlier, knowledgeable or more competent guide. Even though the conditions were extremely windy with rain for the duration of the hike, Mike made the whole day a supremely fun outing - from sharing advice and tips on navigation to explaining about the local flora and fauna en route. Mike not only brings experience and confidence to the experience, but does it with a good sense of humour. I wouldn't hesitate to be guided again by Thistle Stop Tours and Mike, and would recommend their services wholeheartedly for either a small or large group. A 10/10 day on the hills.
Buy it with
Private Edinburgh New Town History Tour - The Athens of the North provided by Thistle Stop Tours
Product Overview: Private Edinburgh New Town History Tour - The Athens of the North
Number of Photos