per adult (price varies by group size)
Lowest price guaranteeFree cancellation
Duration: 4h 30m
Start time: Check availability
Live guide: English
What's not included
- Private cooking class with your host Colleen
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Departure details
- Manenberg, Cape Town, 7767, South Africa Please meet your host Colleen at her home in the Manenberg neighborhood of Cape Town. Exact address can be found in your ticket upon booking confirmation.
- Returns to original departure point
If you have questions about accessibility, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 7626P591
- Service animals allowed
- Stroller accessible
- Not wheelchair accessible
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- If you cancel within 2 days of the scheduled departure, there is a 0 percent cancellation fee.
- If you cancel at least 3 days in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
- How much is Private Authentic Cape Malay Cooking Class in Manenberg with Locals?
- Private Authentic Cape Malay Cooking Class in Manenberg with Locals price starts from $92.00. Discover and book Private Authentic Cape Malay Cooking Class in Manenberg with Locals on Tripadvisor
- What is the Private Authentic Cape Malay Cooking Class in Manenberg with Locals cancellation policy?
- Private Authentic Cape Malay Cooking Class in Manenberg with Locals cancellation policy: If you cancel at least 3 days in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee. If you cancel within 2 days of the scheduled departure, there is a 0 percent cancellation fee. Discover and book Private Authentic Cape Malay Cooking Class in Manenberg with Locals on Tripadvisor
- Which company provides Private Authentic Cape Malay Cooking Class in Manenberg with Locals?
- Private Authentic Cape Malay Cooking Class in Manenberg with Locals is hosted by Traveling Spoon. Read reviews, discover additonal experiences or contact Traveling Spoon on Tripadvisor. Discover and book Private Authentic Cape Malay Cooking Class in Manenberg with Locals on Tripadvisor
- How much time do I need for Private Authentic Cape Malay Cooking Class in Manenberg with Locals?
- On average, this experience will take approximately 4h 30m. Discover and book Private Authentic Cape Malay Cooking Class in Manenberg with Locals on Tripadvisor
- If you have questions about this tour or need help making your booking, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 7626P591
Reserve your spot
About the operator
Cape Town, South Africa
#11 of 112 Classes & Workshops in Cape Town
- Jberglaw00Outstanding Cooking Class and MoreThe host couple, Lorette and Desmond, were extremely welcoming and gracious. Lorette planned a wonderful menu, and we are glad that the class allowed each of our family members to participate hands-on in its preparation. We thoroughly enjoyed the food, setting and learning more about their family and South Africa.
- 370traceyw00Fantastic way to learn from a localLorette and Desmond were fantastic! We had such a great experience. They welcomed us like family. Despite a load shedding occurrence they had a backup plan and accommodated our family of 6 and their varying tastes. The food was delicious and we so enjoyed getting to know them and share a meal and cultural knowledge with them.
- 152jeremyg00Fantastic Experience!Richard and Gillian were fantastic hosts! They gave us great wine, we made delicious food, and we had an amazing time chatting with them. They also gave us fantastic recommendations that we used throughout the rest of our trip. Couldn't recommend more highly!
- charlenea88100Enjoy and understand the food of Cape TownIt was in private home clean and sanitize. The chef was personable knowledgeable and gave clear instructions. We were hands on in preparation she gave recipes and we ate the meal. Being a foodie this was so exciting I went out and purchased some of the ingredients to bring and prepare at home
- 719ibs00Tasty local cuisine with a wonderful hostAfter arriving in Cape Town following a road trip via the Garden Tour, we were keen to try out the local cuisine. We were lucky that Loretta was able to offer us an appointment for a cooking lunch at short notice. It was a super cooking class in a relaxed atmosphere. The food was easy to prepare but very tasty. We also had the opportunity to talk to Loretta and her husband about the country and its people. It was a perfect lunch and I would like to take this opportunity to thank Loretta and her husband again for the warm hospitality in their home and the wonderful food.
- Y1885KBsharonc00Amazing time with Ruth and ColleenWhat a wonderful time we had with Ruth and Colleen. They went above what was expected and made my 50th a memorable experience, the beautiful vegan chocolate cake was such a surprise and super yummy. We had such fun making the samosas. The food was delicious, and the company was brilliant. Our daughter is vegan so the ladies went to extra effort to accommodate her meal requirements, they helped her make her starter and mains and produced a delicious desert too. We would definitely recommend Ruth and Colleen the whole experience was enjoyed and we all had a fantastic time.
- 537elaines00Loretta’s kitchen was brilliantLoretta and Desmond hosted a fabulous cooking experience. Very relaxed and friendly would highly recommend the food was lush too
- renettas202300The highlight of our tripI loved the big welcome and hands on experience from the host and hostess. We immediately got into cooking and the meal we produced was delicious
- 522renettas00What an experience!Was not expecting anything like this and totally was the icing on the cake for my son and I’s trip to Cape Town. It’s nice eating out and trying new places, but nothing like learning and cooking your own dinner at another’s home and feeling like family. We were welcomed with open arms and will never forget this. Thank you kindly!
- ElizabethPajamas00Such a wonderful time!Lorette and Desmond were both amazing hosts! We had such a wonderful time getting to know them and learning how to make some delicious food! My partner and I were both sad to leave at the end of our dinner. We cannot recommend the experience enough.
- ktahsin00Lovely experience with a home cook!Annika was such a sweet and incredible host! I had the privilege of being the first guest that cooked with her and the experience was so memorable. I especially enjoyed her teaching style— no sitting around here, she put me straight to work (which I loved)! Annika would demonstrate a technique and then let me do it; the hands on approach made it all more immersive. I was very impressed and delighted that Annika and I prepared all the dishes I requested such as boboti, cape Malay chicken curry and even Malva pudding. I made roti from scratch for the first time, which I am definitely excited to bring into my daily life. Annika was encouraging throughout the process, always stopping to show me again as needed and never making me feel rushed. She also taught me a lot about Cape Town history and politics, showing me a side that I wouldn’t have known about otherwise. If I had another week in Cape Town, I would absolutely go back and learn more dishes from her. I highly recommend her and being around her amiable presence. Thank you, Annika!
- Ja-Li-Berlin00Nice evening with fantastic foodCooking with Lorette is an amazing and wonderful experience. Lorette is a very good teacher and we felt very well with her. And the kap-malaii meal was fantastic and delicous.
- 511lindal00Knowledgeable Cape Town Hosts - visit early!Richard and Gillian are not only excellent chefs, but very knowledgeable about Cape Town. Richard can advise about wine, and both are excellent sources of information as both have lived there all their lives. Their daughter Georgia is an extra bonus, who has great presence for someone just finishing high school, and is a good source about young people in Cape Town. I truly felt like an invited guest in their comfortable home. They obviously enjoy people and are open and curious about other cultures.
- CDNChicago00Making Memories over DinnerJo, Richard and their daughter treated our family to a warm, intimate evening filled with great food, wonderful South African wines pulled from the cellar beneath the kitchen floor and loads of stories, old and new about their decades of living in Cape Town. When they learned upon our arrival that my daughter-in-law had numerous food allergies, Jo went to her freezer, pulled out GF pasta and turned it into a delicious entree without missing a beat in the conversation. It was a delightful surprise to talk with their daughter, who is at the tail end of her high school experience, an experience which is radically different than what my kids had growing up in Chicago. We had never considered the tight security under which Cape Town teens need to live to be safe. It was fascinating to learn about her life. I wish I could tell you the names of the traditional dishes that Richard and Jo cooked for us, but I don't recall them. What I do recall is that everything was delicious and plentiful. It was a memorable dinner in a two week trip that was filled with great dinners.
- Storminca00Contemporary South African food with professional chefsDinner/cooking with Richard and Gillian was great! Would totally recommend for any Cape Town visit! We had delightful and informative conversation and instructions. Great food and intimate setting showing daily South African life. I even learned a new cooking technique with the braai part of the meal. A dinner with Richard and Gillian is a must!!!
Detailed Reviews: Reviews order informed by descriptiveness of user-identified themes such as cleanliness, atmosphere, general tips and location information.
Mar 2023 • Solo
Very wonderful experience learning how to cook some of their dishes. Also the hosts were very friendly it had an at home feel.
Written March 18, 2023
This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews as part of our industry-leading trust & safety standards. Read our transparency report to learn more.
Buy it with
Private Authentic Cape Malay Cooking Class in Manenberg with Locals provided by Traveling Spoon
Product Overview: Private Authentic Cape Malay Cooking Class in Manenberg with Locals
Number of Reviews
Number of Photos