Niigata Private Artistry Tour
By Japan Awaits
This 6-hour Private Niigata Artistry Tour with tour guide and private vehicle will visit the scenic Tsubame City which is known for its beautiful rice terraces and famous for being the birth place to the artistry and craftsmanship of many specialized techniques in silverware, knives, and more. Get some hands-on experience learning from masters in the craft and enjoy the atmosphere of a small town in the countryside of Japan. The tour will begin at 10:30 AM at Tsubame-Sanjo Station in Tsubame City of Niigata (for guests coming from Tokyo, take the 8:24 AM train at Tokyo Station to arrive just in time to start the tour). The tour guide will be waiting at the station upon your arrival (we will have a designated location for guests to meet). Alternatively, guests can stay overnight at Yahiko Resort (available as an add-on at checkout) and the driver will pick you up at the hotel in the morning.
per adult (price varies by group size)
per adult (price varies by group size)
Lowest price guarantee
Start time: Check availability
What's not included
- Transportation costs (private vehicle) within Tsubame City only
- English-speaking tour guide
- Small handicraft souvenir
- Photo opportunities and more
- Meals, food and drinks
- Lunch (options are local ramen or kamameshi (kettle rice with other ingredients and you can choose)
- Costs for lunch will usually range from 1000 to 1500 JPY per person for the meal.
- Bullet train to and from Tokyo (can be booked as an add-on at checkout)
- Other fees not included in the tour
- Departure details
- Tsubamesanjo Station, 497 Shimosugoro, Sanjo, Niigata 955-0093, Japan The tour will begin at 10:30 AM at Tsubame-Sanjo Station (for guests coming from Tokyo, take the 8:24 AM train at Tokyo Station to arrive just in time to start the tour). The tour guide will be waiting at the station upon your arrival (we will have a designated location for guests to meet)
- Returns to original departure point
If you have questions about accessibility, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 27666P36
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- The first stop will be at Tsubame Industrial Materials Museum, showcasing the craft-making industry especially crafts made with metals. Historically, 90% of silverware and aluminum containers in all of Japan has been made from this little town of Tsubame, and even to this day, much of the same hand-crafted techniques and skills are continued here. At Tsubame Industrial Materials Museum, you can enjoy a hands-on experience at making copperware and utensils such as spoons, cups, and more (depending on availability). After marveling at the different metal crafts made throughout the centuries from Japan and around the world, enjoy an early lunch at a local restaurant.
- After lunch, take a drive to Gyokusendo, a historic copperware shop that still uses hand-crafted techniques passed on from generations since 1816. You’ll see a demonstration from the master of the craft on how he beats the piece repeatedly by hand, with some items taking a few hours to a few days just to perfect. In a different silverware shop nearby, you’ll see some of the best silverware in the world that is only to be exported to various European countries for exclusive use within the quarters of royal families
- Next, visit Toujiro Knife shop and gallery for an introduction to Japanese knives. Anyone who is serious about food knows the value of a good knife and Japanese knives are known around the world to be the best and most highly valued knives. Over centuries, Japanese metalworkers perfected the art of a strong sharp blade and it all started in the city of Tsubame. Here, you’ll learn about what makes traditional Japanese knives so special and you can get your hands on your very own prized kitchen knife that will take you to the next level in cooking.
- From there, you’ll stop by to see the Shinano River, the longest river in Japan, which feeds into a nearby man-made river that has provided water to the ubiquitous rice fields all over Niigata. Take in the beautiful views of rice patties along the rivers before making one last stop to the Tsubamesanjo Regional Products Center where you can see the various unique local products such as pots, knives, and other kitchen tools that are only sold here and no where else in Japan or in the world. Pick up some gifts here to bring home for family and friends.
- From here, you can stay at Tsubamesanjo Regional Products Center to shop longer and return to the train station that is just a 10 minutes walk away at your leisure (without the tour guide), or the tour guide and driver can take you to the station, ending the tour at 3:45 PM. You can take a train to return to Tokyo by 6 PM, or alternatively, you can choose to stay at Yahiko Hot Spring Resort (available as an add-on option at checkout).
- Moderate Cancellation Policy:
- Cancellation fee of 100% is charged if cancelled 14 days or less before the event
- Cancellation fee of 50% is charged if cancelled 21 days or less before the even
- Cancellation fee of 25% is charged if cancelled 30 days or less before the event
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.
- What you can expect during your visit
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Contactless payment for gratuities and add-ons
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Safety precautions are provided by the property and are not checked by Tripadvisor for accuracy.
- Which attractions will I visit with Niigata Private Artistry Tour?
- During this experience, places you will visit include:Discover and book Niigata Private Artistry Tour on Tripadvisor
- How much is Niigata Private Artistry Tour?
- Niigata Private Artistry Tour price starts from $185.99. Discover and book Niigata Private Artistry Tour on Tripadvisor
- What is the Niigata Private Artistry Tour cancellation policy?
- Niigata Private Artistry Tour cancellation policy: All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties. Discover and book Niigata Private Artistry Tour on Tripadvisor
- Which company provides Niigata Private Artistry Tour?
- Niigata Private Artistry Tour is hosted by Japan Awaits. Read reviews, discover additonal experiences or contact Japan Awaits on Tripadvisor. Discover and book Niigata Private Artistry Tour on Tripadvisor
- If you have questions about this tour or need help making your booking, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 27666P36
- You'll start atTsubamesanjo Station497 Shimosugoro, Sanjo, Niigata 955-0093, JapanThe tour will begin at 10:30 AM at Tsubame-Sanjo Station (for guests coming from Tokyo, take the 8:24 AM train at Tokyo Station to arrive just in time to start the tour). The tour guide will be waiting at the station upon your arrival (we will have a designated location for guests to meet)See address & details
- Pass byTsubame Cultural Education Facility Bunsui Ryokan Historical MuseumShinano RiverOyama Rice Terraces
- You'll return to the starting point
About the operator
This tour has not yet been reviewed, but you can read what other travelers have to say about this operator.
Whiskey tasting in Tokyo
We recently took part in the whiskey tasting in Tokyo and had a great experience. Our guide, Fukuda Kazou, was trem…
Special guide for a special day in Hiroshima
Our guide, Emiko (“Emmy”) welcomed us warmly to her hometown. She was well prepared with history, anecdotes, and cu…
A night with geisha
An amazing opportunity to experience an authentic Japanese evening with great food entertainment and learning.
Amazing tour at the Ghibli Museum
The tour at the Ghibli museum was amazing. Akira-san was a very kind and sympathetic guide. I strongly recommend th…
Great Ghibli Museum Trip
We went to see the Ghibli Museum which was amazing. Our guides were very helpful and has a lot of information to as…
Absolutely loved this tour! Our guide was so knowledgeable, and taught us lots about Japanese culture and history, …
Proposal coordination was well done and team (lead by Vicky-san) were very receptive to my ideas and they executed …
Exceptional tour guide
Akira was exceptionally kind, very informative, and really attentive to what each guest wanted. He took the time to…
What can you say. This is a venue steeped in style and history. And big. We sat in the western seating at the f…
Nagano Private Full Day Tour
We decided to do a private full day tour of Nagano which included going to the snow monkey park, a smaller town and…
Excellent private tour of Nagano, Snow Monkeys and Obuse.
We booked a private full day tour of Nagano city with Japan Awaits. Masaru was our guide. He’s not only enthusiasti…
A super cultural experience
This was a fantastic cultural experience to get a glimpse into the world of the geisha. The food was superb and our…
Cute museum tour for avid Studio Ghibli fans
Booking with Japan Awaits was an excellent experience. Hanna from Japan Awaits was very patient with my questions o…
Great tour guide + great whisky = unforgettable experience
The bar was really nice and was indeed a local spot. The whisky was really good too, and there was a variety to cho…
A beautiful day and tour
A wonderful day and private tour. Our guide Horiuchi (Hori) was a very traditional Japanese gentleman. We was very…