Interested in Akumal?
We'll send you updates with the latest deals, reviews and articles for Akumal each week.
You may also be interested in these hotels within five miles of Akumal:
Once you have decided to say "I do", make your special day even more exciting by adding the mystique of Mexico. There is no wedding destination that exudes romance and adventure like the Riviera Maya. With so many venue options, even small budgets can make beach wedding dreams come true. In the Mexican Caribbean, you and your beloved are sure to find the perfect place to declare your love to family and friends. A high end resort in the happening city of Playa del Carmen, a rustic hotel on the powder white Tulum beach or near the cannons on quiet Akumal Bay, any one of these amazing locations will keep your guests talking about your wedding for years to come. Just imagine the smiles on their faces when they read your wedding invitation to paradise!
5 Tips for Planning Your Riviera Maya Destination Wedding
1. Get a wedding planner - Although you certainly can have a DIY destination wedding, an event planner is an invaluable tool that will ease undue stress for the bride and groom. No matter how grand or how simple, a wedding planner's vendor contacts, familiarity with the area and "tricks of the trade" will keep you on budget. Also, a lot of Mayan Riviera wedding venues require them.
2. Plan your sunset wedding ceremony one to two hours before the sun actually sets - You will want your photographer to have enough natural light for those pre-ceremony, ceremony and post-ceremony Tulum beach wedding shots.
3. Choose wedding party attire appropriate for the tropics - When choosing brides maids' dresses and groomsmen's shirts, be kind. It is hot and humid in the Riviera Maya so rather than heavy, synthetic material, opt for natural fibers like cotton and linen. These will breathe and keep your party cool and comfortable. It's ecologically friendly too!
4. Plan for wedding gifts - Be prepared with extra luggage (and extra dinero for luggage fees) to get your gifts home. A more practical solution would be a wedding website with an online registry that includes information about mailing gifts. Or rather than register for gifts, set up a honeymoon or home improvement fund to which guests can donate.
5. Legal Ceremony or Symbolic Ceremony - If you decide to have a legal ceremony in Mexico, book in advance and arrive early for blood tests and paperwork. Also, be prepared for filing fees. Some couples choose to conduct their legal ceremony at home and then exchange public vows in a symbolic ceremony in Mexico. A symbolic ceremony could be an opportunity to have your wedding conducted by a Mayan shaman!
Start planning your destination wedding now with these Riviera Maya resources!