For up to date events listings and entertainment news see Timeout Sydney Electronic music and club information is available at 3D-World and gig guides and live music news is found at Drum Media Alternatively, pick up the related street papers/magazines.
PUBS – In Sydney
Sydney offers a diverse range of pubs from upmarket trendy establishments to old traditional hotels where good tucker and entertainment can be found. All Aussies love going to the pub and having a beer or vino with their mates, It is here that you will experience the true blue Aussie culture. Remember to ask for a schooner of VB (Victoria Bitter) or you can have a pint. In Australia, the legal age for drinking is 18 and you will be required to show ID.
The Rocks Area.
Australian Heritage Hotel
Harbour View Hotel
Harbour Rocks Hotel
Palaside Hotel / Mercantile Hotel/ Hero of Waterloo.
The Establishment Hotel - City
Tilbury Hotel –Woolloomooloo
Three Weeds - Paddington
Elephant and Wheelbarrow-Paddington
Four in Hand – Paddington
Grand National - Paddington
Balmain - Do pub crawl - Town Hall Hotel/ The London/ Cat and Fiddle/ Welcome Hotel/ Sackville/ Riverview / Unity Hall Hotel
Oaks Hotel Neutral Bay/Kirribilli Hotel- Kirribilli/Greenwood Hotel-North Sydney/Cremorne Hotel-Cremorne/Mosman Hotel-Mosman/North Steyne Hotel-Manly/Manly Hotel-Manly Wharf/Ivanhoe Hotel-Manly/Woolwich Hotel – Woolwich.
South Side: Coogee Hotel-Coogee/Bondi Hotel-Bondi/Clovelly Hotel- Clovelly. /Goldern Sheaf – Double Bay. /Woollahra Hotel.
All these hotels offer excellent food and atmosphere. The best being: Manly Wharf Hotel /Greenwood/Oaks/Woollahra/Golden Sheaf all the others offer character and ambience.
For entertainment: The Greenwood and Ivanhoe. (Young crowd)
18 Plus – late 20’s.
Cocktail Bars. - Upmarket.
- Homenight Club – (18-30years) Sublime – heavy dance
Bourbon – Plan B upstairs Saturday night - 24 Darlinghurst Road Kings Cross
Empire – Sat night funky/electro top pop dance
Le Panic – funky house music - 20 Bayswater Road Kings Cross
Dragonfly – popular funky music
Yu – Fri/Sat/Sun night’s best.
Bungalow 8 - Funky crowd and music - 8 The Promenade King Street Wharf
Loft - upbeat establishment - 3 Lime Street , King Street Wharf
Late 20’s – 40’s .
Hugo Bar – upmarket establishment. DJ on weekends - 33 Bayswater Road Kings Cross
The Establishment - Trendy, ultra slick, hip and well dressed bar- 252 George Street City
Firefly –intimate and cozy with fab views- pier 7 1i Hickson Road City
Hemmesphere –super sophicated for the well-dressed. Level 4 252 Geroge Street City
Industrie South of France – DJ funky music, live jazz with huge coktail list- 107 Pitt Street city
Art house – Arty establishment with cool cocktails- 275 Pitt Street city
Bar Europa – basement - three bars with DJ opened till late- The Basement 88 Elizabeth Street city
Middlebar - DJ music with stylish drink menu - 383 Bourke Street Darlinghurst
Marble Bar – Upmarket Sydney Icon, cool architecture - Hilton Hotel City - 488 George Street
Opera bar – cool live music and DJ with best views in Sydney -Opera House
- Zeta Bar - Trendy upmarket bar overlooking city skyline - Hilton Hotel - 488 George Street.
- Ivy Bar - super groovy bar overlooking water features, and huge outdoor interior with spiral staircase. - 330 George Street
- Ash Street Cellar - tucked behind the Ivy Building is a charming laneway with a cosy bar and bistro - 1 Ash Street City.
- Lotus Bar – Classy decor and fanastic cocktail menu- 22 Challis Ave Potts Point
Marble Bar – Excellent drink and cocktail menu - Hilton Hotel City
The Establishment - only for the best dressed Level 4 252 George Street City
Tonic –inimate and cute with DJ music and comfy lounges- 64 Kellet Street Kings Cross
The Victorian Room –For the romantics who want comfort- Level 1, 235 Victoria Street Darlinghurst
Fix –In the ultra trendy Kireton Hotel- 229 Darlinghurst Road Darlinghurst
Homebar – exceptional waterviews and great cocktails- Cockle Bay Darling Harbour
Cafe Sydney - have a beaut coktail before eating in one of Sydney's best restaurants -Level 5 Customs House City
Posh lounge –As the name suggests its POSH - Overseas Passenger terminal - Rocks
Ember Bar – Fab cocktail menu with breathtaking views -Overseas Passenger Terminal – Rocks
Orbit Lounge Bar –360 degree views with upmarket sophistication- Level 47 Australia Square 264 George Street
Bridge Bar – Sophistication at it's best -10th level Opera Quays
Hemmesphere –Join in with the other fabulous bars- level 4 The Establishment 252 George Street City
Soho Bar –two for one cocktail 6pm-10pm, fabulous initmate bar- 171 Victoria Street Potts Point
- Ivy lounge - 1950's cool decore with an amazing cocktail list - Ivy Building level 4 330 George Street, City
- The Den - super luxurious with modern couches and a wicked cocktail list. - Ivy Building 330 George Street, City
- Lady Lux - A trendy refurb night spot with cool vodka based cocktails, created and designed by Sam Fallows, which are all named after circa 1970s James Bond birds. Every Wednesday night is Jazz night. - 2 Roslyn St Kings Cross.
- Piano Bar - The ultra "new" place to visit to be seen - a VIP listing and classical cocktail lounges located above the icon Kings Cross Coke a Cola neon sign with sweeping views of the city. Become a member and join in the web gallery of who's who in Sydney. Live entertainment and opened to 3am. - Located on the cnr of Kings Cross and Darlinghurst Road
- Jazz and Blues - The Basement - Circular Quay, Wine Banc - Martin Street City, Soup Plus - George Street City, Strawberry Hills Hotel - Surry Hills(4pm-8pm Sat and 5pm-8pm Sun).Cafe Sydney - Sunday afternoon - Level 5 Custom House Circular Quay, Wine Banq - Saturday 4pm-7pm 53 Martin Place City.Empire Hotel - 103 Parramatta Road Annadale.
- Live Music:Lansdowne Hotel - Rock Bands Thurs-Sun 2 City Road Chippendale, Annadale Hotel- Tuesday - Thurs 17 Parramatta Road Annadale, Cat and Fiddle - nightly live music - 456 Darling Street Balmain, Excelsior Hotel - nightly, 64 Foveaux Street Surry Hills, Bridge Hotel - 135 Victoria Road Rozelle, Civic Hotel - nightly 388 Pitt Street City .
Gazebo Wine Garden, Elizabeth Bay (Kings Cross) - Wine Bar Sydney style; i.e. large, loud, beautiful people but despite all that, a seriosuly good (mostly Australian) winelist broken into categories like Slurpable, Unpronouncable, Fresh
deVine, CBD Market & Clarence Streets - Owned and run by an Austrian ex pat. Fairly compact and tight list with definite European focus. Good service. Busy with the suit crowd later in the week, especially Friday. Plesantly quiet on Saturday nights.
Bambini Trust Wine Room, CBD, Elizabeth St opposite Hyde Park - Beautiful marble-clad ground floor space in old building with high ceilings. Smallish "safe" winelist, predominantly Australian.
Bentley Bar & Dining, Surry Hills, Cnr Crown & Campbell - Wine bar for wine afficionados. Huge list, local and imported, main focus is on mid-range and high end drops. Creative and adverntourous tapas from the kitchen. Expensive but worth it.
Time to Vino, East Sydney, Stanley St - Hot little wine bar in a great little restaurant and bar precinct on the CBD fringe. Short and simple wine list, with just enough to keep serious wine drinkers' attention.