New to Geneva and the xPat xchange are both essential resources for the English speaking Swiss tourist, and for those planning longer stays. Key publications cited include:
- Air Magazine - Although produced by Zurich Air, this travel publication covers destinations throughout Switzerland, including Geneva, as well as gastronomy, fashion and culture. The latest edition can be found here in PDF format.
- Geneva Wines - A bi-annual publication covering festivals, wine country tours and restaurants, available online in PDF
- swissinfo - swissinfo/Swiss Radio International is a news publication of the Swiss Broadcasting Corporation. Visitors to Geneva can search the online archives for relevant Geneva articles. RSS feeds are also available.
- Swiss News - Feeling like you're on the outside looking in? Check out the only English language monthly in Switzerland, covering Swiss news and events from an expat's perspective.
- Swiss Style - Popular magazine that covers everything from business, health and legal issues to lifestyle and entertainment articles. This information can also be obtained via phone by calling AngloPhone Information Services at 0900 576 4444, Monday through Friday, 9 am to 7 pm.
French speaking visitors should check out Geneva's three major newspapers: Le Courrier, Le Temps and Tribune de Geneve. Sports fans will want to pick up a copy of TouSports.
Travel Pictorial - Country or Natural Wonder
Always browse any or all Travel Pictorial books about a country, region or a natural wonder of the world . You will find excellent photography to view at leisure. Check out any bookstore or library ( lending or reference ).
Travel Guide(s) - Country, Region or City
Always glance through any Travel Guide for the region you are planning to visit. You will always find some nuggat of useful information. The layout and content will always vary with the publisher. Every traveller should make it a priority to browse one or all of the guides listed below. It will be a great education to browse the layout and view the excellent photography. You decide which of the travel guide(s) you like the best.
- DK Eyewitness Travel Guide(s)
- Insight / Discovery Channel Travel Guide(s)
- Lonely Planet Guide(s)
- AA Explorer, AA Key or AA Spiral Guide(s)
- Note: You will find about thirteen ( 13+ ) other publishing companies travel guides in bookstores.
Travel Books - Children or Junior
Browse the children's or junior section of your local library for travel and geography guides. You will find a variety of guides to countries, regions or natural wonders of the world. The majority of these guides will be less than fifty pages in length. They will contain an excellent overview of a country etc. They are an excellent introduction to travel for a novice traveller.
Travel DVD or Video Viewing
- These are a few ideas for finding Travel DVD's in your local area.
- Local Video Rental Store
- Local Library - Travel Video or DVD
- Any large music store will have a range of travel DVD's or Video's on sale.
- Travel Video Store has an excellent internet site.
- BBC Video series website section
- Pilot Travel Guide series
- National Geographic Travel DVD or Video Series
- Escorted Tour Companies DVD or Video's e.g. Rick Steves'
- National Tourist Bureaus MAY have a introduction Video or DVD on offer or Photo Gallery on their Internet site