The first thing you must know is that Tenerife offers more treasures than you might realise. If planning your holiday to Tenerife, plan to spend at LEAST 5 days, or even better a whole week. Tenerife is an island that offers both unique natural scenic beauties as well as local man made attractions that you must not miss.
Some of the local natural attractions:
- MOUNT TEIDE - With an altitude of 3,718 metres above sea level, Mt. Teide is the highest mountain in Spain. To climb to the summit is a unique experience. The fact that part of the route can be done by cable car allows anyone, no matter what there physical condition is to make the ascent. The more adventurous can ascend on foot by the path that leaves from the area of Montaña Blanca, next to the road. This is the only route allowed and is quite demanding which takes almost six hours of walking.
- MASCA VALLEY - is one of the most awe-inspiring places you could visit. Masca is a remote picturesque village nestling in a stunning gorge. The village only became accessible by road thirteen years ago. The walk around the village offers some beautiful views and also a chance to see some of the pretty old stone houses that look out over the gorge to the Atlantic Ocean. For hikers there is a magnificent walk from the village down the narrow, steep sided barranco to the coast. At its narrowest the gorge is only 20km wide and the sides of the ravine reach as high as 600m above sea level. The views on this trail are outstanding, ending at the beach surrounded by the cliffs of Los Gigantes. The walk takes about three hours.
- PIRAMIDES DE GUIMAR – Did you know that pyramids are not only in Egypt? The Piramides de Guimar are not very well know but they preserve the same mystery as their Egyptian colleagues.
- WHALES . Whale and dolphin watching has become one of the most popular tourist activities in Tenerife. Bottlenose Dolphins and Pilot Whales are the most numerous but it is also possible to sight others, such as Sperm or White Whales.
Some local attraction:
- Loro Parque – is the most popular wildlife center. It is located in Puerto de la Cruz and it is home to the largest parrot collection in the world. However, you will not only see parrots, there is a dolphinarium, a penguin center, gorillas, tigers, sealions, orcas and much more.
- Aqualand – if you want to spend a day enjoying the water, Aqualand is a joy for kids and adults! It offers a waterpark and dolphinarium.
- Camel Park – Camels in Tenerife? Yes there are and you can go for a ride on a Camel!
- Karting – for those who like to race
- Parque Las Aguilas - The park has a number of demonstrations and shows running throughout the day and you will probably need a whole day to see and enjoy the parque.
Restaurants and Pubs: Tenerife presents one of the highest concentrations of pubs and restaurants that you have ever seen. It is amazing that in such a relatively small island you can find restaurants of most types of cuisines for any type of tastes.
Here are some other recommended sites: Wikipedia
which is an excellent free online encyclopedia, Tenerife
which provides useful information and other tips just on this amazing and special island and of course TripAdvisor Tenerife section
. We all wish a pleasant and enjoyable first-time visit to Tenerife!