Isla Mujeres Restaurants are very varied and delightful. They have Mexican Cuisine, Seafood Specials, Italian Food, French Food, Greek, Libanese, Cuban and American Food.
- Tacos Cachirul--used to be Baseball field Tacos now east of Salinas Grande. It is not in El Centro but a 10 minute cab ride. They have tacos, burritos and tortas and a condiment bar with all types of Mexican condiments including cactus which looks like green beans. You bring your own beer if you want as they do not serve alcohol. Very reasonable.
- Bucaneros-- On Hidalgo Av., at downtown. Great Food. Specialty: Bucanero Style Grouper Fish Filet stuffed w/shrimps, mushrooms & onions, cooked in white wine w/ fine herbs & melted cheese on top, simply delicious for 129 pesos. Large menu, w/mexican food, salads, soups, steaks, seafood specials, pasta & pizza. Try weekend great breakfast buffet 100 pesos p/p.
- Bally Hoo - watch the sunset and sample the island's best margaritas. Wonderful fish and chip entree, and unique fish tacos. Service is poor but its worth it for everything else. The restaurant is a big palapa behind the Pemex Gas Station on Ave. Rueda Medina.
- Don Chepos On Hildago street in El Centro...Very good food at a reasonable price. Food is well presented on the plate and they have 2 for 1 mixed drinks and beer all day. Very good Mexican food and seafood.
- Qubanos - New small place off Hidalgo that's open for lunch. It's cuban with a twist. Specialties include a cuban sandwich and a plantain sandwich in which the plantain acts as the bread and it is stuffed with chicken, ground beef or pork. They also offer cuban coffee, a perfect pick ending to lunch. Closed for Vacation Sept. 13-19, 2010 and Oct. 11-17, 2010.
- Olivia's is a wonderful new place for dinner off the main street but right downtown. Homemade mediterranean dishes served in a beautiful tropical garden. Try the Greek tapas, Moroccan fish and Campari with grapefruit juice. Everything is wonderful at this great restaurant located on Avenue Matamoros between Juarez and Rueda Medina. ask for the romantic little hideaway at the back corner. Very consistently excellent. Great menu. Wonderful atmosphere in an interior courtyard.
- Chelas Queen. Beautiful new little Bar, very colorful and artistic, located on Hidalgo Ave. next to Rest. Bucaneros. Great drinks to go (1/2 Lt & 1 Lt): cocktails, mojitos, margaritas, daiquiris, beer, micheladas, chamoyadas. Try the Presidential Tamarind Margarita is fabulous ! Great music selection from DJ's
- Sancochos--New place this year from the owners of Jammins. Have a huge burger for 60 pesos. Very tasty. Also have great parmesan fish. Free glass of wine with your dinner specials. Also 2X1 beers and drinks all day.
- Pizza Rock--The best pizza on the island. On Tuesdays they have buy one get one free. Pizza is very reasonable and very tasty.
- Fredy's--Specials everyday. Great seafood and Mexican foods from an authentic Mexican owner. Food is nicely presented on the plate. Very personable and humorous owner. Lots of fun to dine there.
- Chili Locos--Try the Coconut Shrimp, huge and excellent for 125 pesos. Nicely presented on the plate with rice and some fresh vegetables.
- Cockteleria Picus...Right near the boat dock. Open air restaurant with sand floor. Excellent fresh fish. You can sit there and watch the fishermen carry the fish to the front of the restaurant to be prepared. Also very famous shrimp and other kind of fish ceviche.
- French Cafe--Bistro Francais--right off Hildago...very good breakfasts with fresh fruits and home type prepared items. Also have nice specials for dinner hour. Not open for lunch.
- La Cazuela M and J's---New location at the corner of Abasolo and Guerrero, right across from the Casa de Cultura. An excellent place for breakfast. They have cazuelas offered and fresh squeezed juices. .
- JAX BAR-For some real American food..........you can even get a corny dog for the kids. Great drink and food prices!
- Rene & Renee has the best breakfast. Try the enchiladas suissas and listen to Rene whistle while he putters around. So friendly you'll think you're at your grandparents' house:)
- Rolandi's (attached to Hotel Bel Mar) has AMAZING Italian food.
- Los Amigos makes a great tampiquena steak and the best mojitos on the island. Great guacamole and Meixcan lime soup.
- Asia Caribe (one block from town center. Fusion of Asian and Caribbean flavors. Nice vegetarian selection)
- Mango Cafe (Marvelous, unusual blend of flavors. expect delicious)
- Rooster (Great food and service. Try the duck - it is wonderful)
- Basto's (Located in Colonia La Gloria near San Francisco super market.
Basto is owner and chef. Frequented by locals and visitors)
- Monchi's (Located just one block south of Mango Cafe on left
side-heading south. Reasonably priced delicious Yucatan Mexican food)
- Barlito's (Located at corner of Hidalgo and Abasolo in "Centro". Try
this for breakfast, brunch or lunch. Fresh baked bagels, cinnamon
rolls, pulled pork sandwiches, etc. Don't miss it!)
There are many wonderful restaurants in Isla at a reasonable price. New ones are opening all the time. Enjoy the many cosmopolitan touches on an island drenched in the sun and dotted with myriads of friendly people.