What better way to commemorate a trip to Oranjestad than to indulge in a little bit of local shopping during the visit? In fact, shopping is a favorite pastime of many, many visitors to the Oranjestad area and shopping areas often make travel guides’ list of top attractions in the area. There is no sales tax in Oranjestad and the shopping duty is just slightly over three percent, making shopping for expensive items something often done by visitors.
Shopping areas popular among a range of visitors include:
- Alhambra – This major shopping center is open late and offers everything from tourist souvenirs to quality wines and cigars.
- Downtown – Shopping mall after shopping mall lines the harbor of downtown Oranjestad in a colonial Dutch atmosphere designed to make shopping a day’s event.
- Main Street Shopping – This area provides shopping for a mixture of tourists and locals, with locals primarily being of the younger generations, although business persons working in the area also shop here.
- Malls – The Renaissance Mall is the choice for those looking to do a lot of shopping in a small area and maybe catch a movie at the same time. The Royal Plaza Mall is for visitors who are looking to shop in slightly more upscale stores.
- Marketplaces – the Renaissance Marketplace is a modern shopping center. Port of Call Marketplace is popular among cruise-ship travelers.
More information about shopping in Oranjestad is located at