Interested in Grand Canyon National Park?
We'll send you updates with the latest deals, reviews and articles for Grand Canyon National Park each week.
A Grand Canyon White Water Rafting Trip on the Colorado River is the Best Vacation in the world if you are willing to sleep with the earth and enjoy the elements of the natural world. Commercial Rafting Trips run from April through October and last from 3 to 18 days depending on the type of craft you choose and the put in and take out points of your trip. There are three routes to choose from: Full Canyon, Upper Canyon and Lower Canyon. Motorized rafting trips are usually shorter than rowing or paddle trips as Non-Motorized trips travel at the speed of the Colorado river. For many people who travel through the Grand Canyon, the hiking of side canyons that accompanies the rafting expedition is the highlight of their trip. Some rafting companies are known for doing more hiking, and others for a wide range of specialty trips. For example Geology, Astronomy or even having a live string quartet accompany you while dining river-side each night. The price of most expeditions includes meals, non-alcoholic beverages and your camping gear. Some companies also include pre and post trip transportation, meals, and pre trip lodging, so check carefully for your best values. All participants in Grand Canyon White Water Rafting Trips should be in good physical health. However, most Grand Canyon companies pride themselves on accommodating special needs passengers. Children must be at least 7 to take part in a motorized trips, or 10 to take part in an oar or dory trip. Check with the outfitter because each sets their own age requirements.
For information on trip schedules and prices contact the following tour outfitters:
Aramark-Wilderness River Adventures
P.O. Box 717, Page, AZ 86040
(800) 992-8022 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (800) 992-8022 end_of_the_skype_highlighting; (928) 645-3296 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (928) 645-3296 end_of_the_skype_highlighting; FAX (928) 645-6113
Arizona Raft Adventures
4050-F E. Huntington Drive, Flagstaff, AZ 86004
(800) 786-7238 or (800) 786-RAFT (928) 526-8200 FAX (928) 526-8246
Arizona River Runners, Inc.
P.O. Box 47788, Phoenix, AZ 85068-7788
(800) 477-7238 ; (602) 867-4866 ; FAX (602) 867-2174
Canyon Explorations/Canyon Expeditions
P.O. Box 310, Flagstaff, AZ 86002
(800) 654-0723 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (800) 654-0723 end_of_the_skype_highlighting; (928) 774-4559 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (928) 774-4559 end_of_the_skype_highlighting; FAX (928) 774-4655
P.O. Box 2997, Flagstaff, AZ 86003
(800) 525-0924 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (800) 525-0924 end_of_the_skype_highlighting; (928) 526-0924 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (928) 526-0924 end_of_the_skype_highlighting; FAX (928) 527-9398
Colorado River & Trail Expeditions, Inc.
P.O. Box 57575, Salt Lake City, UT 84157-0575
(800) 253-7328; (801) 261-1789; FAX (801) 268-1193
Grand Canyon Whitewater, LLC
P.O. Box 2848, Flagstaff, AZ 86003
(800) 343-3121 ; (928) 779-2979 ; FAX (928) 779-2973
Grand Canyon Dories
P.O. Box 216, Altaville, CA 95221
(800) 877-3679 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (800) 877-3679 end_of_the_skype_highlighting; (209) 736-0805 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (209) 736-0805 end_of_the_skype_highlighting; FAX (209) 736-2902
Grand Canyon Expeditions Company
P.O. Box 0, Kanab, UT 84741
(800) 544-2691 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (800) 544-2691 end_of_the_skype_highlighting; (435) 644-2691 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (435) 644-2691 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
Hatch River Expeditions, Inc.
HC67-35 HWY 89A, Marble Canyon, AZ 86036
Moki Mac River Expeditions, Inc.
P.O. Box 71242, Salt Lake City, UT 84171-0242
(800) 284-7280 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (800) 284-7280 end_of_the_skype_highlighting; (801) 268-6667; FAX (801) 262-0935
P.O. Box 67, Angles Camp, CA 95222,
(800) 346-6277 (800) 346-6277 (209) 736-2924 (209) 736-2924 FAX (209) 736-2902
6900 Townsend Winona Rd, Flagstaff, AZ 86004
(800) 637-7238 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (800) 637-7238 end_of_the_skype_highlighting; (928) 526-4511; FAX (928) 526-6185
Tour West, Inc.
P.O. Box 333, Orem, UT 84059
(800) 453-9107 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (800) 453-9107 end_of_the_skype_highlighting; (801) 225-0755; FAX (801) 225-7979
Western River Expeditions, Inc.
7258 Racquet Club Drive, Salt Lake City, UT 84121
(800) 453-7450 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (800) 453-7450 end_of_the_skype_highlighting; (801) 942-6669; FAX (801) 942-8514
All companies are licensed by the National Park Service and have excellent reputations for safety and service. Which company you choose will most likely depend on which one has the tour offering that best fits your family's schedule and interests. For more information about the different types of trips offered look at www.RaftGrandCanyon.com . To save yourself some legwork, you can book your trip through Arizona based companies AdvantageGrandCanyon or Flagstaff-based Rivers & Oceans, who work with most (if not all) commercial river outfitters in the Grand Canyon. They will do this service for free and help you with the logistics surrounding your trip. For more information on their services, visit www.advantagegrandcanyon.com or call 1-888-244-2224 or www.rivers-oceans.com or call 1-800-473-4576 . AdvantageGrandCanyon and Rivers and Oceans adventure travel agencies, and charges the same amount as the outfitters for booking a trip.
For those with limited time for a Grand Canyon white water rafting experience, Hualapai River Runners offers a one-day excursions from the Hualapai Lodge in Peach Springs. Though this trip technically does not take place within Grand Canyon National Park, and the rapids are smaller than those upriver, this is still a very enjoyable and memorable excursion for individuals 8 years old and up. For more information visit www.destinationgrandcanyon.com or contact Hualapai River Runners at 1-800-216-0076 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-216-0076 end_of_the_skype_highlighting. This trip is also offered as a package tour including round-trip transportation from Williams Arizona by Grand Canyon Old West Jeep Tours. For more information visit www.grandcanyonjeeps.com or call 1-800-716-9389 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-716-9389 end_of_the_skype_highlighting.
Smooth water rafting trips, also known as "float trips" since they encouter no rapids are available from the base of the Glen Canyon Dam in Page, Arizona to Lees Ferry. This scenic and historic 15-mile journey can be taken by children as young as 4, and is available as a half-day excursion from Page, Arizona, or as a full-day excursion from Grand Canyon South Rim, Flagstaff, or Sedona. For more information on the Half-Day float trip from Page, Arizona, contact Colorado River Discovery at www.raftthecanyon.com or by calling 1-888-522-6644 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-888-522-6644 end_of_the_skype_highlighting.
In the Las Vegas area, the Black Canyon Adventure will take you from the base of Hoover Dam to Willow Beach. Departing from the Hacienda Resort in Boulder City, this is also a half-day excursion. Pickup and dropoff from major hotels on the Las Vegas Strip or Downtown areas is available for an extra fee. For more information on the Black Canyon Adventure, visit www.blackcanyonadventures.com or call 1-800-455-3490 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-455-3490 end_of_the_skype_highlighting.
Float trips also do not take place within the borders of Grand Canyon National Park, but still present an excellent alternative to families travelling with younger children, or those not inclined to take a white water rafting trip on the Colorado River.