“My Stay at the Westover” 4 of 5 stars

Westover Inn
3.5 of 5 Inn   |   300 Thomas Street, St. Marys, Ontario N4X 1B1, Canada   |
Ranked #3 of 6 St. Marys B&B and Inns

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My wife and I stayed here in September for one weekend night, as we were seeing a play in Stratford and did not want to do a late night drive back to Toronto.
St. Mary's is cute little town, and not too far from Stratford - only 20-25 minutes.
The main building for this Inn looks quite charming inside. The reception and check-in was professional and friendly. We booked the King Cottage suite, one of 4 rooms in a large cottage on the property. I can't write as to the Terrace building or the main house accomodations.
The suite was spacious, with a separate living room area with tv, and bedroom with a large King bed and flat screen tv.
The bed was reasonably comfy, the suite was clean. I think people need to keep their expectations realistic. This is not the Ritz... it's a nice, clean comfortable country Inn. Yes the bathroom looked a bit dated, and the decor was a bit 90 ish, but so what? Everything worked, it was comfortable, clean, and a good place to stay for the night.
We had breakfast the morning we left, and were quite happy with the food and service. No issues at all with the bill at checkout, which was explained in detail.
I would definitely recommend this Inn as an option when staying in the area, and I would certainly return down the road.

Room Tip: Suggest booking the cottage - can't speak to Terrace building or main house.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

There is nothing worse than arriving at a country inn, opening your room door to a musty old smell. Then as your eyes scan the room you don't know what is more of an offense - the 70's bedding, the old stained carpet, the worn upholstered chairs, the recycled tv or the bathroom sink that doesn't drain!!! And our room was upgraded from a queen to a "king", which is actually 2 singles pushed together with bedding that is washed once a week. How do places get away with this!!!!

• Stayed September 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Our recent stay last month at the Westover Inn was one we will never forget. We stayed in the main house which is an old Victorian mansion with gorgeous original mouldings and large ceilings. My husband and I stayed in a Manor King room which was spacious and even had a small balcony for us to sit on. Dinner in the dining room was magnificent, and I can see why the restaurant has CAA four diamond awards in the main hallway. The staff was warm, friendly, and very professional. Breakfast the next morning was also very nice out on the patio which overlooks the grounds. The front desk let us look at the Christopher Plummer room which was also very exciting as we came to see him at the Stratford Shakespearean Festival. I would definitely recommend this Inn to an older couple who are looking at getting away from the hussle and bussle of Stratford while they are here to see a play.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Manor are very nice. We never saw the other two buildings but we heard the Main House i...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Mississauga, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Our recent visit to Westover Inn was a major disappointment. I had long admired the Inn and looked forward to my first and I had hoped not my last visit there. Afterall, it is advertised beautifully on the website and ranked as one of Ontario's Finest Inns. The spacious and private grounds and location are lovely and we were met by gracious and friendly staff. Any favourable first impressions we had were quickly dashed, when we entered our room (Terrace building). The room was advertised as "cozy", which I knew meant "small". The room appeared dark and dreary and in dire need of renovating. The building was built in the 1930's and the towels and linens seemed almost as old; small, rough and very thin towels, sad and tired bed covering and sheets, the mattress and pillows were less than average - poor quality. Aside from a ceiling light fixture, none of the lamps in the room were working. My sister went to pull the blind down and it fell on her head. The A/C consisted of a very loud portable unit in the corner of the room. The carpet was dirty and needed to be replaced. A fresh coat of paint on the walls would go a long way in cheering up the "cozy" room. The walls are thin - we heard slamming doors and loud thumping on the ceiling from the floor above us. There was a group party outside our ground floor window, which did not add to the peaceful solitude we expected in a small country inn. Our saving grace was escaping to a more pleasurable evening at the Stratford Festival. The Inn served merely as a place to shower and get a few hours of sleep overnight. We were was happy to check-out after one night's stay. On the positive side, we did enjoy a wonderful hot breakfast on the outdoor patio, before we departed. Although, I cannot comment on the suites in the Manor house or Cottages, I would not recommend the Terrace Building to my family or friends. Compared to many other Finest Inns in Ontario, I was certainly not impressed with this one. With some stylish renovations and some TLC, it has the potential to be all it is advertised to be. If anyone at Westover is reading this review, please remove the hanging pots of dead Boston Ferns at the main entrance and replace with some welcoming fresh flowering annuals. Sometimes, it's just the little things that help make for an enjoyable stay away from home.

Room Tip: Ask to see a picture of the room you are going to be assigned to
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dexter, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Had a small room in the cottage that was nice and had a small desk for computer use(WiFi included). With tax,$189.00CAD. Spent most of our time in Statford and this is too far for a commute every day. Think the room was more a $100.00 value but was clean,air conditioned, and comfortable(bed was very comfortable). Ice not convenient,had to go to Mainbuilding to get it. On site restaurant pricey and other than Tim Hortons, not much in St Marys.

Room Tip: If the primary purpose is to visit Stratford, would not stay here unless you like quiet,pastoral pla...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

We stayed for one night for my mother's 80th birthday and we couldn't have had a nicer time. The rooms were recently renovated and in excellent shape. The restaurant was superb, and the roaring fire made the inn cozy, warm and inviting on a snowy night. My parents stayed in the Christopher Plumber suite, which thrilled my mother, and to top it off Mr. Plumber won the best actor Oscar on the day we were there. My wife and I were in the main building and although the hallway was cool, the room was very warm and comfortable. If you're looking for an Inn with charm, history and excellent food then look no further than the Westover.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Westover Inn? Share your experiences!