“Outstanding food and friendly staff - a must do for everyone!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 13 Restaurants in Cowaramup
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients, Scenic view, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Nestled beside the picturesque Wilyabrup Brook, the Vasse Felix Cellar Door, Restaurant and Art Gallery take in sweeping views of the pristine landscape and Margaret River's oldest vines. A shared passion for precision extends throughout Vasse Felix in the striking architecture, manicured grounds and astute use of space. Everyone is welcome to indulge their senses with fine wine and fine food at Vasse Felix, or visit the original underground cellar from where Margaret River winemaking began. Restaurant open 12 - 4pm daily. Reservations highly recommended. Thank you for posting feedback about your visit. We value the opportunity to consistently refine our Restaurant and Cellar Door experience.
Sydney, Australia
“Outstanding food and friendly staff - a must do for everyone!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had our anniversary lunch at Vasse Felix and by far it was the most memorable dining experience we have ever had! The food was absolutely outstanding and we could not think of a better meal we have ever had - big call I know but it's definitely true. This is the second time we have visited the region and we had lunch here the first time and knew we had to come back again and It completely blew our minds again. Service was great as well with our servers being very friendly and hospitable. Overall this is a must do!

• 5 of 5 stars Food

“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I have to start by saying that this winery has by far been my favourite in the Margaret River area for the past 11 years. We come to this area regularily and have always loved the seasonal menus and food at Vasse Felix until today. We arrived for lunch and really struggled with the menu. I eventually chose a kingfish entree followed by a pork shoulder main course. The presentation of my entree was nice although a little over the top with blobs of purée, crumbs and dust however it was bland, bland, bland and not enjoyable at all. I was hungry and eagerly awaited my pork main. Again the plate was excessively presented with more blobs of purée, dust and crumbs but that would have been forgiven if all of the above were tasty but no they were bland and to make matters much worse my pork was full of grizzle and was very stringy even although it had been cooked overnight by sous vide method. Fortunately the waitress noticed and took it back to the chef who removed the cost of this from our bill. I eagerly awaited my dessert as by now I was very, very hungry. I ordered a rice pudding dish with a miso (salted) caramel sauce. The rice pudding was a glue of cold tasteless mashed rice with no shape or form. There was no flavour from it whatsoever however the few blobs of caramel were tasty but needed much more of it to add flavour to the worst rice pudding I have ever seen or eaten.
What's happened to this restaurant? Too many of the dishes contained miso? why? whats wrong with good quality sea salt? I asked if the head chef had left but was assured that he was still there. The whole styling of food on the plate was over the top and messy looking. That could be overlooked by good flavours and honest cooking. But not to be as each dish was progressively worse. I am sad as we have enjoyed sensational food here over the years but will no longer be returning after today's experience.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Beautiful lunch spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Wine tasting followed by lunch -- one of our favourite vineyards in Margaret River. The lunch was delicious and we were able to get a table without having booked. Gift shop and art gallery also on site.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne
“Excellant food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

It was over 40 degrees and the electicity went off halfway through our meal but we still managed to enjoy ourselves.
The staff are very professional and the food was very good. Each dish was complex but had a great balance of flavour.
The dessert was a little disappointing but considering the electricity had failed by this time, it was amazing that they could even give us a dessert.
It is not a place for a romantic lunch as it was filled with families with babies and toddlers.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Perth, Australia
“Wow - truly 5 star!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Visited the restaurant with my wife to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. We were placed in a fantastic position on the verandha looking back towards the vineyard (car park end) with a light breeze blowing and with some vines growing around the edge of the verandha made us feel part of the vineyard . We started our lovely lunch with some sour dough bread and oil before tucking into marron for our entree - the marron was delightful. After navigating the creative menu we chose the duck and neck of pork - both cooked to perfection, especially the duck which was juicy, sweet and a delight to eat. Washed it down with some lovely wines - my wife particulary liked the Heytsbury Chardonnay (recommended by the wine waiter) - not the cheapest wine on the list but very very good. The rice pudding sweets with Japanes citrus ice cream was a delight and rounded off the meal perfectly. All in all a wonderful afternoon - The staff were very professional, helpful and friendly - would recommend this restaurant if you want the whole experience - well priced for the quality. Good idea to book in advance.

• Visited February 2013