“Chicken in the vegetarian omelette!” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Milltown
Cuisines: Irish
“Chicken in the vegetarian omelette!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

The food was OK and at first the service was friendly. Then my vegetarian friend found chicken in her omelette. At first they were apologetic and brought her a glass of wine but when we went to leave they tried to make us pay for the omelette! They weren't too apply when we refused. You have to question the preparation area segregation for this mistake to happen! We gave it a wide berth after that!

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Tuam, Ireland
“good stop off on N17”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stopped here twice on route from Galway to Sligo and found the food excellent (if a little expensive for a small village pub. The main dining room wasnt open on either occasion and the atmosphere in the bar left a bit to be desired. If stopping here again I would prefer to eat in the dining room.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Maine
“great food, excellent service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Wonderful food and the service was fantastic! Thank you so much! Fast service, great curry dish on the menu even though it was a traditional pub, and the beer was fantastic as always!

Visited July 2013
Carrickmacross, Ireland
“Restaurant Good but their Accommodation and hospitality not so good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We arrived for a family event on Saturday evening about 6.00pm. we drove into the pub car park from the restaurant side and it was hard to tell which door was the entrance. We drove around the other side and again hard to tell which door was the entrance, we walked in via the ramp door, and there seemed to be terrible trouble with drafts elsewhere as the door slammed shut with a bang! We walked into the main bar area which was nice and cosy, and the staff seemed to be busy between bar food and serving drink. I spoke to the bar man and said that we had rooms booked for the night. he said he would be with us in a moment. We waited and waited and eventually i decided to order a drink and maybe he could sort out our rooms then. We ordered our drinks and then asked us if we were waiting on a food order, i said no we were waiting to be taken to our rooms. We waited some more! I asked a waitress regarding the rooms and she said she was going to get keys. My only urgency was we were attending for a party in the same place, but I needed to go get ready. We were shown to our rooms via the kitchen area hall way, and outside and up a flight of stairs. The Carpet on the stairs could have done with a good clean. The rooms themselves were very well presented. Nice double beds with crisp white sheets and coloured throws, ensuite, with modern tiling, good size shower, on a glance, very impressive. There was a kitchen /living room area where our complimentary continental breakfast would be available i assumed. The kitchen area could have done with about a full bottle of bleach... there were crumbs on the table as well as tea and cup stains, and the sink was completely stained from tea/coffee and grime. I didn't pass to much more attention at this time. The waitress that showed us to our rooms provided us with our keys and showed us how to work the hot water timer. She was very helpful.
As i was the only person who needed to get ready i told the others i would meet them in the bar.
I proceeded to have a shower and then dry my hair. I couldn't find a plug. I noticed there was a bed side light so i pulled out the bed and found a socket as well as dirty tissues! This didn't really work as there was no mirror, i found another plug for a tv socket up high on the wall, so i managed to reach this and this then reached the mirror in the bathroom, I could see my hair now, but far too much effort to do so! I proceeded to get dressed, as there were no blinds or drapes on the window i pulled the curtains and went to turn on the lights, i noticed that none of our lights were working. The bathroom light didn't work, other than the small light over the mirror, nor did the main centre light. So i left on the bed side light as i knew it would be dark when we were coming back.

We went for our meal with our family who had all arrived. The meal was very nice. Chef might have been a little heavy on the cooking of rare and very rare steaks which my partner and myself ordered, but all the same they were very very tasty, the staff were also very nice. I noticed other than a small table of 2 we were the only people there on the night. We went back out to the bar after the meal and had a few more drinks. I spoke to the bar man and checked that breakfast was in the bar or restaurant in the morning, he replied telling me on a Sunday they don't serve breakfast, as in the FULL IRISH. I was happy enough with this. I asked about the complimentary continental breakfast, as there did not appear to be fresh milk or bread upstairs, he looked at me puzzled and said that he would leave up a loaf of bread. He was very busy and must have forgot. We went to bed, thankfully we had left our lights on! When trying to get off to sleep could only hear the sound of every bedroom door rattling in the wind, every door in the complex rattled, including the wooden fence like doors which i assume are to cover wheelie bins rattled. We pushed our bag up against our door to stop the rattling but could still hear the others rattling... We got up early the next morning. I was concerned that we were travelling with elderly people who just would not make do like others without breakfast. We came up to the kitchen and nothing, nothing left for us. This complimentary continental breakfast was not there! I went across to the shop which was just opened for Sunday newspapers, i had to buy the essentials like milk, bread, cornflakes, butter, eggs and bacon. I came back to see that there was no frying pan, only a few knifes, forks and spoons and only 2 bowls, and 3 plates, there were 4 of us! The cups were dirty, the presses contained nothing. We looked and the tea towels and tried to decide which was the cleanest to wash up with. No washing up liquid. we left the place cleaner than it was!! I am amazed that a restaurant that serves bar food and more formal dining could have such badly cleaned and equipped kitchens for its staying guests. We have stayed in many self catering hostels/houses in the past, if the website had to say self catering we would have taken our own food. But self catering does not require you to take knifes forks, spoons, plates, pots pans. If they want to go the self catering route they need to provide the basics. This would also include a microwave which they didn't have either. They had a hob but no grill! The kitchen was newly fitted, but had no fan and lots of empty presses, some with handles missing! All empty!
We needed to pay for our night, i had decided that i was taking off €10.00 for the complimentary continental breakfast that i had to buy. Our breakfast contents came to €11.60. We went downstairs to find everywhere locked up, not a sign of anyone. We went across to the shop which was also Sheridans, we asked the lady if she was the same owner as the pub, she said not, she was helpful and called a few numbers for us. She did get someone but she had to call her back. We left and looked up the website on our phone, and found a contact number. It was a mobile number to the owner. We called him, i knew by the ring tone he was abroad, but i needed to pay. I was so annoyed at this stage. We could have drove off and left the bill, but we are honest! He answered and i explained, i told him that i was taking off €10.00 for the lack of breakfast. Credit where credit is due, he said he would take €20.00 off. At the end of the day it was a bed for the night, we were not looking for a free night, but I was not prepared to pay for something that was mis leading. He was very nice and told us to leave the money in the shop.
It is so disappointing as this place has great potential, the staff were very nice and welcoming. The owner was even very nice while i rang him on his own holidays. With a good clean up in the common areas and kitting out the kitchen with cooking implements, pots, pans, plates, knifes, forks, spoons cups/mugs, and most of all clean them! An idea, would be for the owners & staff to spend a night in the rooms themselves, let them hear the noise of the doors and wake up to the lack of food etc, its the only way they will ever appreciate the points on this review from a guests eyes!

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great food and local vibe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Sheridan's is a friendly pub that makes visitors feel as welcome as the locals who keep use the place to catch up with friends and chat with the staff. The pub is always open and serves food 7 days a week and has an adjoining restaurant with more set hours. The food is good and service top notch. They even have free wi-fi and are happy to share the password, unprompted, as you might not expect it in a country pub. I would definitely stop in again when in the area.

• Visited May 2013