“Perfect stay....... until breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Brands Hatch Road, Fawkham DA3 8NQ, England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fawkham
Romford, United Kingdom
“Perfect stay....... until breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We have just returned from a 1 night spa break to celebrate my husbands 40th birthday here, having checked into the spa on day 1, it's pretty clear that the place is trying to be both spa and health club for locals at same time, we were in the minority of people walking around in robes and slippers, it was mainly full of mums and their babies, I'd go as far as saying it was clearly their local meeting place for a natter!. We had a lovely back massage first, then went for a swim, the pool is tiny, and is a liner pool which is all rucked up underfoot, if there's more than 4 in the pool at a time then you can't really swim, plus, there were screaming kids in it both days, shame, Iv nothing against children, I have 4 of my own but was away on a break and didn't want to hear this noise in a spa! The hydrotherapy pool is tiny too, and was running cool at our time of visiting. The relaxation room with beds is a no go as completely full on both of our days here. We had afternoon tea, which although very nice, is most definitely not worth £30 for 2!. We then checked into the hotel, we had been upgraded which was a lovely touch to an executive room and the room was faultless, spacious and very well appointed. Dinner was also georgous! Restaurant area has a lovely classy feel to it, and waiters attentive. We thought the drinks were pretty pricey but then that's what you get in a nice hotel. We retired for the night and slept well. Then it really let itself down. Breakfast was dismal to say the least, the waiter we were served by, although pleasant, was a bit odd, had unironed trousers on, no teeth, unkempt hair and could talk the hind legs off a donkey! He in fairness, got our cooked breakfast order correct as he read it back to us, the chef however, got it wrong twice, then when finally it was correct I found mine almost in edible, it had been kept hot, the bacon was dried up and rock hard, my scrambled eggs were stuck to the plate and the hash browns were over fried, my husband was looking forward to the advertised black pudding but when his plate arrived without it, he was told they don't bother getting it in anymore as hardly anyone wants it! Well take it off the menu then! We checked out after breakfast, and as we complained, we did in fact receive a refund for the breakfast. I hope they took our comments on board as it really was poor. We went back to the spa, had an eye treatment which again was lovely, but as it was a Friday it was very busy with local members and so quite difficult to use the facilities, I was disappointed with this. In all, I think the hotel is very nice, but I wouldn't go here expecting a proper spa experience, the place is just over run with mums in gym gear carrying babies. Plus, the lady on the spa reception was pretty off and unhelpful, not at all welcoming. Conclusion - nice hotel, but not a proper spa, more a hotel with a local gym full of members attached to it. But hotel staff were very nice and hotel itself lovely. :)

Room Tip: Room 8 is nice!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew_Oxby, General Manager at Brandshatch Place Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us.

We are pleased that you enjoyed the hotel, however apologies if the spa facilities were not to your preference, and that this facility fell short of your expectations. We do not open to the public however we do have private members being a Health Club & Spa. It is pleasing to note that you really enjoyed your spa treatments.

Finally I am sorry that we have failed on this particular occasion to deliver the standards and service expected during breakfast, and with the refund received, please accept my apologies for our errors and I will be discussing your feedback with the Food & Beverage team to ensure there is no repetition for the future.

Thank you once more for your time. I do hope that you will choose to return and if so I would be grateful if you could let me know directly so I can personally oversee your booking.

Kind Regards
Andrew Oxby

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I stayed for one night on a business trip. Surroundings are very nice, the hotel was very clean and comfortably presented, and the room well equipped from a business perspective. It was also large and the bed easy to sleep in. I think the rooms were four-star and I'd return in the future.

There were two problems with the kitchen, however. On the evening meal two of us had our meals arrive late, so late in fact that everyone in our party were largely finished. Whilst apologies were offered, nothing else was. The food was of a good quality and my seared salmon was beautifully cooked. I ordered an omelet for breakfast, however, and it was under-seasoned and bland. An omelet should really be easy to get right. That said, I would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa on Trip Advisor.

I am so pleased that you chose to stay with us during your business trip and that you would look to return to us in the future. I will certainly share your feedback with the team and also the chef in order that we can address your kitchen feedback for the future, please accept my personal apologies.

All the very best and we hope to see you again in the future.

Kind regards

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We recently had our wedding at Brandshatch Place Hotel and hired it exclusivey for the day itself so had the entire hotel and its ground to ourselves and our wedding guests.
Myself, (the bride) stayed the night before with a group of family and friends and the staff couldnt do any more to make it a special night for us, they were attentive and helpful throughout.

Leading up to the wedding, our wedding co-ordinator, Danielle was always a pleasure to deal with, she was patient and attentive and really made the effort to listen to everything we wished for our wedding day and on the day itself and helped with all the usual wedding day worries/cancellations/plans etc, she was an asset to us.

On the wedding day itself, the staff couldnt do more for us or our guests to have an enjoyable day. Everything was how we imagined it and more, the venue looked stunning with all our finishing touches we were allowed to do it to create a very special atmosphere for our family and friends.

Everyone commented on how lovely the food was throughout the day and were over the moon with the midnight feast :)

Overall, Brandshatch was our perfect wedding venue and our wedding was the most amazing and special day shared with all the people that we love. Thank you for helping us achieve that.
Laura and Matt Ives x

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Firstly I would like to thank you for choosing Brandshatch Place Hotel and Spa as your chosen wedding venue for your special day and indeed for finding the time to post your review online with Trip Advisor.

We are so pleased that you have taken away such wonderful memories of your time with us and had the most amazing day. The team will be thrilled with your comments - especially Danielle and the kitchen team.

We would all like to wish you all the very best for your new married life together.

Kindest regards

Chobham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We attended a wedding at the hotel in May. It was a cold day and the heating was off throughout the hotel all day and all night and the bedroom was unheated and absolutely freezing. The window wasn't glazed and the cold draft came into the room. We were so cold all day. At night in bed we just froze.

The room was dingy, cramped and small and had no view from the side window, which was black with mould.

When we went down to breakfast the tables were absolutely heaped up with dirty discarded plates and cutlery. We asked for a place to be set for us, they just put down a knife and fork amongst the debris. They didn't attempt to clear a space for us, or even push back the junk on the table - plates were piled up six deep around us. I had to hunt around myself to find us a couple of clean cups from within the junk on the table. Just dirty. Other people have already highlighted this problem in the reviews, it appears nothing has been done about it.

We poured ourselves a cup of coffee from the pot on the table, and a large mat of dust/hair floated on top of the coffee which we scooped out. It looked like a lump of filth that had fallen from a dirty shelf into the coffee pot. The people who had been drinking from the pot were completely nauseated. A new pot was bought, but it was so weak and nasty I actually thought it was tea.

The location of the hotel is right next to the motorway, and the sound of the racetrack is loud - if you're planning a wedding you might want to consider this. Not a lovely countryside location at all.

The pool was full of screaming children who obviously weren't staying at the hotel. Guests don't have exclusive use and it appears to be the place locals bring their children to learn to swim. The pool was heavily over-chlorinated, probably because there were so many young children swimming in it and um.. enjoying the waters....

From our room on the first floor we could clearly hear the people above banging and walking about their rooms. You could hear every single footstep. We were woken very early by the people above us moving about in their room.

We stay at a lot of hotels and this one does not deserve the four star or deluxe ratings, in our view. If you're thinking of a wedding, I'd go somewhere else.

Room Tip: I'd suggest a room on the top floor, as if you're on the first floor you can clearly hear pe...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Andrew_Oxby, General Manager at Brandshatch Place Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your views following your recent stay at Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa, and please accept my personal and sincere apologies for your disappointing experience with us. I am sorry that certain standards fell short on this particular occasion, we always endeavour to exceed our guests' expectations and I am truly sorry that on this occasion this was not the case, please accept my apologies for the issues you have raised, and my assurance that your observations and comments will be addressed. We have been trying to contact you to discuss your feedback personally, and it was disappointing that we did not have the opportunity to speak with you at the time during your stay to rectify these issues raised. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Yours sincerely
Baildon, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night as I was playing golf the following day at The London Club.
Easy check in as I arrived late. Room was not overly large but perfectly adequate with decent sized bathroom. Tv was a LG flat screen with free view which again served its purpose.
As I was on first floor I could hear various people treading the floorboards on the stairs during the night.
Breakfast was great and good service from Ernest (I think that's his name).
Only moan is the stairs - couldn't see where stair started and finished properly and slipped twice. Perhaps some demarcation would be useful.
Otherwise would thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed May 2013
Andrew_Oxby, General Manager at Brandshatch Place Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your experience with us on Trip Advisor. I was pleased to read that you thought the hotel was excellent and in particular enjoyed the breakfast.

We are ideally located for anyone wishing to stay in an intimate four star country house hotel and looking to play golf in the area. There are 10 golf clubs within a five mile radius to us including the prestigious London Golf Club.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the stairs, and I will review this with the maintenance team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa again in the near future.

Kindest regards
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

The first room we were given was smelly and had plastic opaque film covering the windows, no view at all.
We were moved to another room which was ok. But again had opaque film on the windows.
When we arrived for breakfast. We were asked if we were in the weddings party, we answered no, and were told to go through to the back and find a table.
They appeared short staffed and tables were waiting to be cleared.
People who came in after us were asked for their selection before us and we had to ask if we could order.
The staff were not particularly friendly or welcoming.
Nobody asked if we were enjoying the breakfast, nor came to clear our things away.
We were left feeling that we would have had better service if we were part of the wedding party, but we were made to feel rather a nuisance.

• Stayed April 2013
Andrew_Oxby, General Manager at Brandshatch Place Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am sorry that you were made to feel second best at breakfast and the service was impacted upon by a wedding party in the hotel at the same time, and please accept our apologies for this. We always continue to strive to make necessary improvements to ensure that all of our guests have their expectations exceeded on each and every visit, and I am very sorry that on this occasion this was not the case.

We do hope that you will one day choose to return to Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa where we look forward to ensuring you thoroughly enjoy your stay.

Regards
Bexley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

After reading the reviews on here before our stay I was a bit dubious over what to expect, however I needn't have worried! The lady on reception was helpful and attentive and showed us to our room which was clean and had everything we needed (all bar slippers) however we just asked for these when we got to the spa area and they were provided with no problems. Our only gripe was that the jacuzzi was so hot we felt we were being slowly cooked but as we were enjoying ourselves so much it didn't really matter and we just went back to the pool. The restaurant food was delicious, we had ham hock terrine which was beautiful and the lamb for main which was cooked perfectly, the best bit was the waiter coming over and offering us various other things with compliments of the chef, which was an added bonus. We had an issue with the DVD player in our room which was quickly sorted by a friendly member of staff. There were a couple of minor issues during our stay, but nothing that wasn't rectified in a courteous and expedient manner and also nothing that would deter us from returning! The service at breakfast let the experience down a bit when the waitress (who we thought might have been new) was very flustered and looked harried and also offered something not on the menu which after ordering she said they didn't do?! She also denied us asking for something when we did which we thought was odd. We heard the people on the next table complaining about the same breakfast we had, but the food really was fantastic and we couldn't fault it ourselves. Thanks to all the staff for a brilliant stay!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased to read you had a fantastic stay and thank you for your kind comments and in particular the food, I will ensure your feedback is shared with the team.

I was pleased to note that despite there being a couple of minor issues during your stay, we were able to rectify them immediately when you highlighted them to us and you were happy in the manner in which they were dealt withand it did not impact upon your stay in any way.

On behalf of all the team, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best wishes
Andrew Oxby

Been to Brandshatch Place Hotel? Share your experiences!