“Surprising Find” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 25 Restaurants in Cupecoy Bay
Cuisines: Grill
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: MasterCard and Visa Accepted. Currently open for Dinner from 6:00-10:00pm, seven days a week.
NJ
“Surprising Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Fig, just past the Atlantis Casino in Cupecoy is an unassuming looking restaurant which has fantastic food at very reasonable prices. It is just around the corner from where we stayed, and we were so impressed we wound up having dinner there twice in 10 days. One of the owner's mom (Myrna) was visiting the first time we were there. She really made our dinner enjoyable and more personal. We would highly recommend Fig.

Visited November 2013

London, Canada
“Great Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Friends recommended Fig so we decided to check it out. We were very impressed. We went back for dinner four times during our two week stay on the island. We loved the lamb and tuna and duck dishes and salads were fresh and tasty. Prices are reasonable and service is good. There are tables outside as well as indoors. The atmosphere is very pleasant and comfortable.

• Visited November 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Healthy and Satisfying”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

What a great little spot. One of the few places to go for lunch and have the pleasure to sit in A/C and enjoy your meal. Met the owner and he is a sweetheart. You can eat a nice lunch without being overwhelmed with grease / french fries like most lunch options. You leave full and satisfied and ready to continue your day, not down for the count in a food coma / siesta mode. Makes for a great business luncheon. Dessert is worth indulging!

Visited October 2013
Midlothian, Virginia
“Quaint Restaurant with French Flair”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

The restaurant is small and when crowded can be very loud. One of the owners, who is French, is very attentive and he makes sure you enjoy your experience.

Excellent menu and fairly priced.

• Visited September 2013
Wilmington, Massachusetts
“Excellent French Dining in Dutch Sint Maarten”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

My wife, my cousin and her boyfriend and I took a short taxi ride from our hotel (the Royal Islander Laplage) to one of two French restaurants in Cupecoy Bay.

We shared two bottles of Chardonnay wine (Serame at $19 each) and a large bottle of French water ($4.50).

My wife and my cousin's boyfriend and the daily special soup, Chicken with Rice ($9.00 each), my cousin had the Gaspacho ($9.00) and I had a Asian Congee ($9.00). All were excellent soups.

My wife and I shared a large Arugula and parmesan salad which the chef split for us and was delivered to the table already split up. The salad wad very good, but not great.

My wife and my wife's cousin had the Duck breast ($19), my cousin had the tuna steak medium rare ($17) and I had the fish ($15). I had the opportunity to try all the entrees. The Duck Breast was excellent. The tuna (I prefer very rare rather than medium rare) was very good. My fish was very good but not excellent.

Service was absolutely great with the co-owner / waiter spending a great deal of time chatting with us (at our encouragement). This restaurant has been open a little more than a year. We dined at the beginning of hurricane season which is the slow season. So when we arrived, we were the only customers. The owner / waiter explained that Americans tended to arrive rather early for dinner (6 to 8 PM) and Europeans arrived a bit later (after about 8:30). Sure enough by the time we left the restaurant was half full and a good portion of them arrived late and were speaking French. Our waiter had no problem with our lack of speaking French. We did try to say thank you and a few other common phrases in French which he appreciated.

The waiter took time to explain the 6 different sauces delivered to the table for use with our meals. He explained which sauce would go best with which meal, but he also indicated that we should try the sauces ourselves to determine which we liked the best. All the sauces were very good. My wife and I agree that in the 6 plus days we spent in Sint Maarten this was the best restaurant we had the pleasure of eating in. We did want to try the other French restaurant in Cupecoy Bay which supposedly has a nice view overlooking the bay, but we ran out of time. We understand there are a number of fine French restaurants on the French side of the island, but the travel cost (taxi's) to the Grand Case area made them a bit less desirable.
We finished things off by sharing a Chocolate Mousse ($10) which was excellent. I believe the cook increased the size of the piece of Chocolate mousse to allow us to have an ample serving.

We strongly recommend you attend this restaurant and take plenty of time to enjoy not just the food and drink but the company and banter of the waiter. The total for our meals for 4 (including two bottles of Chardonnay) was $171.50. We had a card which gave us 20% off so the total meal price was only $137. We add a 20% tip on the original amount (pre-coupon) so the total we paid for this fine meal was $170.70.

What you won't get at this restaurant is a view of the beautiful island. It is on a main street with parking in front. Across the street is the Rainbow beach club resort which blocks any views of the water. I think the food and the pleasant experience we got from the owner/waiter made up for this deficiency.

• Visited September 2013