I have visited Sapphire 11 times (my parents have visited 20+ times) and I believe this past trip has been my last. Over the past 10 years, the resort has been going "downhill" due to poor management and upkeep. We are the type of family that doesn't spend much time in the room. We love to go out and explore all the beaches and so the few bugs, lack of hot water and poor customer service in the past few years haven't really bothered us. It's hard to complain when you're looking at such a beautiful view, but this time pushed me over the edge.
My parents have own the Penthouse suite for 20+ years and last week, we found a rat running around the apartment late at night. I understand that buildings have bugs and critters, but the biggest complaint I have is the lack of service. The man at the front desk said there wasn't another room we could switch to and didn't believe we found a rat until we showed him a picture. He was extremely rude and when we asked for his name, he refused to give it to us. After a struggle, we moved to a new room. My parents eventually spoke to the owners and the "new" managers of the building. Apparently there is new management at Sapphire and there are improvements happening. My parents asked me not to write a review because they are sentimental about the resort and hope the new management will improve the place, but I feel it's my duty as a traveler to inform fellow travelers of my experiences.
All of the little problems never bothered me, but since there was a big problem this past trip and I didn't feel like we were taken care of, I would not recommend this resort to anyone. I truly wish the management and staff the best of luck in improving the resort and when they do and I experience it, I will write them a positive review. But right now, my parents pay an expensive yearly maintenance fee and I'm not sure where all that money is going.
In 6 days, we were in 3 different rooms. I made a list of the the problems:
AC in 1 out of 3 rooms
No hot water in 2 bathrooms
3 lamps broken (my boyfriend was electrocuted from one of them)
Pool light broken
Toilet broken- we requested it to be be fixed for two days and it never was
2 empty broken hot tubs
No screens on balcony doors
Air conditioning leaking onto floor
Bathroom cabinet door was broken off and propped up against the sink
Lack of towels
Asked to make up the pullout bed three times. Once it was finally made, there were no pillows. My boyfriend had to go down at midnight and ask the man at the front desk for pillows. He refused, but instead gave him a key to another room without and signature or ID to get pillows!
In general, the staff is unfriendly. One woman yelled at my boyfriend for not returning the beach towels on time. Not something you want when on vacation...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sapphire Beach Club Resort is located just 3 miles from Princess Juliana International Airport on the Dutch Side of Sint-Maarten, on French-Dutch border. Situated between the turquoise blue waters of the Caribbean Sea and the beautiful Simpson Bay Lagoon on Cupecoy Beach. 180 spacious guest rooms, penthouses and villas elegantly decorated with Caribbean decor, fully equipped kitchens including coffee maker; with luxurious Italian Marble Bathrooms, Internet access, cable TV, VCR and DVD and fabulous view. Relax in style and enjoy tropical breezes from your private terrace or balcony, with spectacular views of the ocean or the expansive Simpson Bay Lagoon. All the ocean-view rooms have a private jacuzzi on the balcony, and all the luxurious villas and penthouses feature private swimming pools and Jacuzzis overlooking the view of the Caribbean Sea.Enjoy the island’s wonderful beaches . In fact, the resort is within easy walking distance of beautiful Cupecoy Beach, a prime spot for swimming, snorkeling, scuba diving, sailing and other water sports. SBC is nearby golf course and tennis court as well. In just few minutes you can enjoy duty-free shopping at the upscale designer boutiques and jewelry shops of Philipsburg and Marigot as well as nearby hip clubs and casinos. Take advantage of the whole range of hotel services SBC offers to our valued guests:- Open Reception 24h / 24 and 7 days / 7- Swimming pool- Fitness Room and Beauty Salon- Business Center- Bar & Restaurant- Activity Desk- Car Rental Desk. All surrounded by the fabulous mix of Dutch, French and Caribbean charm that makes Sapphire Beach Club Resort a delightful place for vacation all year round. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp. and Priceline so you can book your Sapphire Beach Club Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sapphire Beach Club Hotel Cupecoy Bay
- Sapphire Beach Club And Resort
- Wyndham Sapphire Beach Resort
- Wyndham Cupecoy Bay
- Cupecoy Bay Wyndham
- Sapphire Beach Club Resort St Maarten-St Martin/Cupecoy Bay