“11th time visitng Sapphire, but my last” 2 of 5 stars

Sapphire Beach Club Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Lowlands 147, Cupecoy Bay, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Cupecoy Bay
Brooklyn, New York
“11th time visitng Sapphire, but my last”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

I have visited Sapphire 11 times (my parents have visited 20+ times) and I believe this past trip has been my last. Over the past 10 years, the resort has been going "downhill" due to poor management and upkeep. We are the type of family that doesn't spend much time in the room. We love to go out and explore all the beaches and so the few bugs, lack of hot water and poor customer service in the past few years haven't really bothered us. It's hard to complain when you're looking at such a beautiful view, but this time pushed me over the edge.

My parents have own the Penthouse suite for 20+ years and last week, we found a rat running around the apartment late at night. I understand that buildings have bugs and critters, but the biggest complaint I have is the lack of service. The man at the front desk said there wasn't another room we could switch to and didn't believe we found a rat until we showed him a picture. He was extremely rude and when we asked for his name, he refused to give it to us. After a struggle, we moved to a new room. My parents eventually spoke to the owners and the "new" managers of the building. Apparently there is new management at Sapphire and there are improvements happening. My parents asked me not to write a review because they are sentimental about the resort and hope the new management will improve the place, but I feel it's my duty as a traveler to inform fellow travelers of my experiences.

All of the little problems never bothered me, but since there was a big problem this past trip and I didn't feel like we were taken care of, I would not recommend this resort to anyone. I truly wish the management and staff the best of luck in improving the resort and when they do and I experience it, I will write them a positive review. But right now, my parents pay an expensive yearly maintenance fee and I'm not sure where all that money is going.

In 6 days, we were in 3 different rooms. I made a list of the the problems:

Room #1
1 rat
1 cockroach
AC in 1 out of 3 rooms
No hot water in 2 bathrooms
3 lamps broken (my boyfriend was electrocuted from one of them)
Pool light broken
Toilet broken- we requested it to be be fixed for two days and it never was
2 empty broken hot tubs
No screens on balcony doors

Room #2
Air conditioning leaking onto floor
Bathroom cabinet door was broken off and propped up against the sink
Horrible smell

Room #3
Lack of towels
No phone
Asked to make up the pullout bed three times. Once it was finally made, there were no pillows. My boyfriend had to go down at midnight and ask the man at the front desk for pillows. He refused, but instead gave him a key to another room without and signature or ID to get pillows!
Lamp broken

In general, the staff is unfriendly. One woman yelled at my boyfriend for not returning the beach towels on time. Not something you want when on vacation...

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Sarasota, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

My husband and I visited the Sapphire Beach Club Resort last year. It was old and moldy. The airconditioning systems blew warm moldy air into our room. The once proud and bustleing resturant had become overpriced and grungy , run by amatures. I was saddened to see the hotel decline into a such a state. My parents purchased a Time Share at the Sapphire Beach Club over 23 years ago. It was truely a vibrant, beautiful and superbly run resort. During our visit, it was obvious that the yearly maintanance fee that my parents had paid over the years was never used for the hotel's upkeep.Mom tried to "bank" this year's stay with RCI, the Sapphire Beach Club's Time Share affiliation. She was told that we should contact the hotel directly because they were no longer involved ??? The front desk does not answer it's phones! Stay away from this place...it's in trouble.
It's so sad that a once elegant place with gorgeous views has fallen into a rubble do to obviuos mismanagement.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Franklin, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

I just returned from St Martin yesterday, and have been trying to best describe this hotel, as it is not a resort, nor is there much beach except for an hour or two during the lowest morning tide. the rest of the day, not even the bottom steps of the "beach "access is above water. To start, the room we ended up with ( the room we originally booked) had a spectacular ocean view, with amazing sunsets! The renovated room offered a full kitchen and ample room to spread out and relax. The housekeeping staff worked hard to make sure guests were well taken care of, they greeted guests, asked if everything was good in the room, etc. They took pride in their work and it showed. I wish they owned the resort, since the owners, who lived on site, did not share the same enthusiasm towards their hotel guests. Yes, you could generally find one or more of them lingering by the bar/bar restaurant area most of the time, they never went out of their way to interact with guests welcoming them to the Sapphire. Our booking prior to arrival was an ocean view room, at check in we were given a room on the first floor with a view of the largest ficus tree I have ever seen, there was no phone, no TV, and plenty of bugs. I went back to the desk to ask for a new room, I was told I had to speak to someone in reservations downstairs. So on my first day of vacation, I'm in the lower level of a strange hotel, as politely as possible, trying to explain that "Ocean View" and "Ficus Tree" view are not the same, no matter how the hotel classified the room. I was told to come back the next morning at 9:30 am for a possible room change. Went back at 9:30, the very nice woman in reservations, told me to come back at 11am. Went back at 11, after attempting to get the breakfast buffet that was included with our stay, only to be told we needed the tickets not issued to us at checkin, and went room viewing with the reservation lady, as I wanted to see what they were going to offer me (maybe something I paid for?). Our room on the 4th floor offered amazing views as I stated earlier ( It was really the 5th floor, as the lobby is floor 0) and was what I had booked before leaving home.
The market in the basement offers basic amenities, coffee, snacks, alcohol and bottel water. This was a definite plus, as the bar food and drinks were a bit overpriced for what was offered, and the Italian Restaurant food was often over cooked and dried out.
We rented a car from Leo at the car rental booth in the lobby, he offered great service at a competitive price. It made exploring St Martin so much more enjoyable.
Mullet Beach is nearby, and you could walk there if you didn't mind the hike.......best BBQ ribs ever!

Bottom line, if you just need a hotel to sleep, and see the caribbean sunsets, this place will work for you, If you would like hot water for more than 2 of your days here, or you would like running water at all, or if you don't want to go to the subbasement laundry room to ask for washcloths or towels after a day at the beach, or you don't mind hard lumpy pillows from 1982, then you might want to keep resort shopping. Would we visit St Martin again, truth be told, We hated to leave! Would we stay at the Sapphire again......well.....not likely.

Room Tip: 4th floor and above, be persistent in your request. Plan to spend some time and effort to get the ro...
L.I., NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Rented deluxe studio timeshare. Bldg 1, 3rd floor. Beautiful view of the Caribbean Sea from the balcony. That, fellow travelers is it. Yes, the new owners are on premise, and yes, the bartender Dennis is personable and accommodating. The resort is a short drive from the airport, and from the action in Maho. A car is a necessity, because as my neighbors on the 3rd floor said on the first day: "you have to get out of the room". The building is 21 years old and it shows. Maintenance money from time share owners was obviously not spent on maintaining or cleaning these units. On day 1, I bought a bag of ice because the icemaker and ice were filthy. On day 2, I tipped the maid $20 to procure clean pillows and a clean blanket for the bed which was easily 21 years old, as were the appliances, the balcony hot tub, the 13" old TV with one channel, the bathroom fixtures and the scary elevators...On the 3rd day, I tipped the maid $10 to clean the black mold from the A/C vents and borrowed a can of Lysol to take care of the odors in the room. The maid loved me and there were always (just) enough towels. All week long, there were groups of angry hotel guests at the front desk. The free Wi-Fi is available at the bar, and that became an informal meet and beat the daily room horror stories amongst the very friendly time share renters and owners. Eventually, we would just laugh about all the issues. Until day 6 when our only toilet stopped flushing. Ah well, the view was beautiful.

Room Tip: Bring Lysol & tip the maid early and often.
Fairfax Station, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Pool and bar were the best Dennis the bartender kept us amused with evening programs. Food was good plenty of seating at pool. Lots of nice visitors with time to make friendships. New owners doing many upgrades plenty of parking. I would definitely return. Do not let. Other spoiler reviews turn u away I was pleasantly

Bay Shore, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Can be a great visit or can be a horror. Water can never warm up. Sometimes there are no tvs.s. service is often spotty. However pool is great. Views are magnificent. Visit can be great. Location is wonderful as is equidistant to Marigot and Phillipsburg. A good deal for the price

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Cranston, Rhode Island, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

As many others we were concerned and had our timeshare on alert if we needed assistance. We were pleasantly surprised. However, it is a work in progress.
We were in bldg 2 with a beautiful ocean view. This will be the last blg to be renovated. There were some nuisances and no hot water until last day. Staff always addressed any concern right away. The room was very clean.
Bring CASH.
The bar,Italian restaurant,market,salon all only accept cash. Sign for towels early. Request renovated room when possible.
The bar is fun at night with entertainment a few night a week. Dennis takes pride in his bar. Eat at the Italian restaurant at night at least once. Paolo does a fantastic job but only 5 tables so make a reservation if poss. There is no beach left due to mother nature but there's 2 within walking distance.
Bottom line, we will go again. Have some patience and enjoy this beautiful island. Look for Marsha who is a great help with info at resort and locally. The new owners have a great passion to make this you favorite destination but it will take time.
On a side note, we were stuck after flights cancelled to the northeast this week. The owners and the staff did everything to assist with a place to stay for an extra night. Even on a busy winter break week.
Thanks to all of you!
Bruno and Nicole "mille fois merci" !!!!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Sapphire Beach Club Resort? Share your experiences!