“Needs an update” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Cupecoy Bay
Rhode Island
“Needs an update”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I dont want to be too negative about this resort because they did meet my needs for our particular situation, but I do want to be honest about our experience. The staff was very good especially since they probably already have heard every complaint from the people having stayed here.

I'll start with the positives about our experience: In the room that we stayed in we had a great view of Saba and the Caribbean waters. The other thing I enjoyed about this resort was it was in-expensive and basically a storage unit for our stuff while we went to the beach and dinner. The only time we stayed on the resort was to sleep. They also had a pretty good selection of essentials in the store in the bottom floor. Not sure what the prices were, but I usually will pay a little more if I can save time.

Some of the negatives: Right when you drive into the resort you can tell that the building is worn down and has seem better days. I'm not big on beautiful decor and flash but at some point things need to be updated. The bed was awful. It gave me no support and I probably sunk a good 4 inches when i sat on it. As I moved closer to the middle of the bed it was extremely hard and unforgiving. I don't want to bore anyone with all the negative details but I hope anyone looking to stay here understands why certain resorts are inexpensive.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Jupiter, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

This was the worst experience in a hotel. Our first room I cried a little at how run down and dirty and mildew smelling it was. I got adjusted until that night when sleeping was impossible due to no air. When we complained, the normally friendly staff went into "it's not my job" mode. The manager moved us to another room which was much better, but there was no television, no telephone, the toilet broke and the jacuzzi would not stay full of water. We asked and asked to no avail although we did get a tv and thank God the a/c was working. We gave the housekeeper money to keep us in towels and clean sheets. The laundry room had one working washing machine that a resident took up all day. We paid someone $20 to do our laundry. Supposedly, a new owner bought it while we were there, and they will get it back up to par.
The only good part of the hotel was the little breakfast place next door at the Ocean Club. It has new owners from CT, and it was so clean and tropical feeling and the food was fantastic.

Ellenwood, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

What started off rocky, ended better. On our initial check-in on Saturday, we were told we had to wait until 4 p.m. and was directed to the pool-side bar/restaurant. Once we had eaten it was only then we were told it was "cash only". This was a surprise to us since we had brought along a small amount of cash. Once we went to the condo we found it to be hot and smelly like mold, I suspect due to the air conditioner not working properly. We endured the lack of air and ceiling fan in the 2nd bedroom along with the strong odor the 1st night. Did not get much sleep based on the heat, which our calls to the front desk kept telling us they were working on it and it would be fixed shortly. The next morning we demanded a new room in another building. During the move the elevator broke down. After a 30-45 min delay it was fixed supposedly, Not! My husband and I got stuck on the elevator. After being freed, we had to wait again for them to fix it. It was also very small and cramped when all 4 of us were on there. My husband approached the manager and requested a breakfast voucher be provided for our trouble at the on-site bar/restaurant. It was a continental breakfast. The 2nd unit was much better, air not the greatest but it was better than the 1st night and the ceiling fan was working in the 2nd bedroom. Dishwasher rack was rusty and dirty. We did not wash our dishing in there, decided to wash by hand with boiling hot water, since roaches were seen in the kitchen cabinet and counter area.
The pool was not available until Monday, it was under repair upon our arrival. It was difficult to get house keeping to give face towels, even after numerous request. Dogs run loose should be on a leash when in the restaurant and that includes the cooks dog that was allowed to be around the food and restaurant area along with the resident cats (I think this is in appropriate). The positives are a beautiful balcony view, we enjoyed the live music on Thursday evening and it was a nicer unit than the initial one. Although we had a wonderful time in St Martin-St Maarten, I would not recommend the Sapphire Resort as a place for them to stay due to the lack of maintenance and up keep. They need to do serious up-dates to the resort to make it the place people say it used to be. I wish I could have seen it then.

Room Tip: Make sure you request an ocean view room
Iowa City, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I had read many reviews of the resort online before traveling with my husband and inlaws and was a little worried about our upcoming trip. We had pretty good service when checking in. We liked our villa, super excited that it had its own pool. The air conditioner didnt work in one of the bed rooms but was fixed with 24 hours of telling the front desk know. They also fixed out dryer in our villa at the same time. The kitchen was really nice to have and our room was well cleaned every day and fresh towels were stocked everyday. We only exchanged our beach towels one time during the week so that wasn't a problem for us either. The toilets are tricky to flush, must hold down the flusher for a long time. We also had little bugs in our bathroom, not too many but they were noticable a couple hours after our room had been cleaned. There was free wifi in the lobby and so that was really nice to be able to check our email a couple times that week. The pool had some spots that were falling apart but it was warm and clean. The resturant had good pizza and drinks. very friendly staff. There was a jazz night one of the nights we went and that was a lot of fun. There is a market on the lower level of the lobby and we were happily surprised with the selection and prices of most of their items. Overall we had a great time on the island, If i went back i would stay at a different resort, but this was part of my inlaws time share. Since i was expecting the worst this wasnt bad.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Newark DE
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I own a time share at the Sapphire. In short the place is going down hill fast. My wife and I were just there in August. The AC is basically off. The room was so hot it was impossible to sleep. When I asked the people at the desl to look into they looked at you with blank stairs. The manager just smiled and said he would fix it. Never did. Place was dirty. No beach towels. I have a time share and I will never go back. Marcia tried to help but she is powerless. Listen to the other reviews Stay away. This is a complete rip off. Motel 6 is better than this.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My family of 5 (3 children) recently returned from two weeks in St. Maarten/St. Martin and unfortunately stayed at Sapphire Beach Club Resort. Upon our Saturday night check-in (we arrived at the hotel around 8:30) we were given a room which the air conditioning was not working. The room also smelled of mold and mildew. Over the course of the next hour we were provided 4 additional rooms for us to stay, all of which were no improvement over the first provided room. FInally, after 10:00 PM, the manager got involved and gave us a room which was a currently unoccupied "private residence". The unit had one air conditioning unit in the living area that blew cold air but was not adequate enough to cool down a 2 bedroom unit (the bedrooms had no functioning air conditioning). Meanwhile, my parents who had joined us for this trip also had a room with an air conditioner that barely functioned as well. We contacted RCI our timeshare company but they were rude, unprofessional and of no help as they said there was nothing they could do and that there were no other available RCI properties on the island at the time. We find out later that many of the other resorts were willing to accommodate us had RCI simply contacted them and made some adjusted arrangements.

Other issues we had with the hotel, many of which I have documented with photographs:

There was mold in the room. It was in the closet. Pieces of mold had fallen out of the air conditioning vent and were laying on a shelf in the closet. For two weeks I left the closet door open, the housekeeping staff never cleaned it. There was also mold in the refrigerator.

The mattress was of poor quality and had a sag in it. During our stay I developed a back issue due to the mattress. I have now made 5 visits to my chiropractor to treat a poorly aligned spine and sacrum.

There were never any beach towels. It took nearly 5 days before they had any clean beach towels to provide us from the front desk. Every visit to the desk we were told we would have towels in 20 minutes, then 20 minutes became 60, then 60 minutes became "later in the day". When we finally did get towels we were provided 2, for our party of 5.

The railing on our balcony was very loose. We were on the 7th floor. Needless to say our children were not allowed on the balcony.

There is a jacuzzi tub on the balcony. We never used it, there was algae all along the bottom. Every single day I asked for someone to clean it. On day 12 of our 14 day vacation they finally cleaned it. We never used it, I didnt trust their cleaning job.

The pool was a mess. There are giant potholes on the bottom of the pool and a crack. There was even a pool light that was detached from the wall of the pool and was floating in the pool attached by its electrical cord. When we returned from the beach one day my kids wanted to go for a swim in the pool. We found it to be filthy with dead bugs. Not just a few, but an actual layer of dead bugs on the top of the water. When I brought it to the attention of the front desk they laughed and stated it was Sunday, the pool guy was off that day. We never visited the pool again.

The kitchen faucet was broken. When you turned the water on, it sprayed like a fountain. You couldnt use the faucet without getting soaked. In addition, one day we had loaded the dishwasher but never ran a cycle. The housekeeper unloaded the DIRTY dishes and put them back in the cabinets. Now we had to wash everything!

The unit we were in was missing lighting fixtures. Take a look at the submitted photos. Not a major issue, but just ridiculous and further proof that the hotel does not care to maintain the facility. There were also missing knobs on most of the kitchen cabinets.

On about Day 5 we walked out of our unit and found stains right by our door. It looked as if someone had spilled food and barely wiped it up. On the day we checked out the disgusting stains were still on the floor.

The advertisied wi-fi in the rooms was not working. They stated it was for a maintenance upgrade. It turns out that upgrade was so that you could PURCHASE wi-fi for your room. We were only able to get online while sitting in the mosquito infested lobby.

Due to all of the inconveniences we were offered to stay in the Penthouse for week 2 of our stay. I went and checked it out, and while it was a larger unit (2 floors) it was HOT! In my estimation it was approximately 85 degrees in the room. While our current unit was not much cooler, it was not worth the time and energy to relocate rooms.

On our last full day of vacation, our phone rang at 8:20 AM. We were told that we had to leave our unit by 10:00 AM as there was another guest checking in. We were forced to quickly pack all our items and move two buildings over with little notice. The unit they moved us into was actually in the middle of being repaired. The hot water didnt work and there was a leak. They had removed the cabinets in the bathroom so they could access the plumbing. Again, we grinned and dealt with it as we had plans to meet a friend from the island for breakfast which we were now late for due to this forced move of units. When we returned from our last day on the island, my wife found the room doors wide open, the balcony doors were open, the air conditioning which barely worked in the first place was off (the room was about 85-90 degrees) AND there was a black dirt like substance all over the bathroom. The repairs they were making spewed a mess all over the walls, tub, cabinets etc., in addition all of our belongings which were in the bathroom were covered in this mess. They never bothered to move our things! This was our last full day of vacation, and a fitting end to a vacation that was ruined by the lack of care and concern by any of the staff members at Sapphire Beack Club Resort.

The front desk didnt care. They are smug and unprofessional. Sharon who works at the front desk is worthless. The owner doesn't care, rumor has it that the place had been sold. He wont drop a dime on the place, its not his problem any longer. Meanwhile he has clearly been skimming from all the timeshare owner maintenance fees. The place hasn't been maintained in years. They don't even bother to replace burned out light bulbs.

If you want to enjoy your vacation, please stay somewhere else. This place ruined what should have been two amazing weeks on an island we have loved for years. The stay was so bad that we have sadly lost our love for the island. I have visited St. Maarten/St. Martin about 20 times now, sometimes even twice a year.. This stay was so bad that we are contemplating taking future vacations elsewhere.

The manager even offered us a free week in the future. We declined. That is how bad our experience at Sapphire Beach Club Resort was.

Room Tip: My tip to help travelers choose a good room? Choose a room at another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

No A/C. They gave me a fan. No beach towels everyday. They told me they would have some in a half an hour, but none came. I had to tip the maid to get me towels everyday. Cracks and large pieces of concrete in the pool. Law suit waiting to happen. Lumpy pillows and mattress. Staff logged my complaints, but no one did anything about it. I think the owner is getting ready to go bankrupt and not investing any money in it.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else if you want air conditioning. Bring your own beach towels.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sapphire Beach Club Resort? Share your experiences!