“Nice surprise!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 25 Restaurants in Cupecoy Bay
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: On the edge of the MarinaFine restaurant, traditonal French kitchen, specials every night Lunch and Dinner Open every day except Tuesday From 10 AM to 10 PM Live music every week
Charlotte, NC
“Nice surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

We stumbled on this beautiful quaint little restaurant in Porto Cupecoy on our first night on the island. Once seated we had a wonderful dinner with great service! It was a Friday night so there was a lady singing that was quite entertaining! The food and drinks were excellent so much so that we will be back again this Friday before we have to leave to go home! It will definitely be a restaurant on our list to visit when we return to the island! Thank you!

• Visited May 2014

San Francisco, California
“Nice French Setting, Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

I came here for my first meal on St. Martin and I was very satisfied, There was a man singing French songs, which added to the lovely atmosphere. Waiter was very nice and offered us a complementary shot of infused vodka.

Akron, Ohio
“Still our favorite on the Dutch Side if not the whole island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

An absolutely beautiful small restaurant on the Dutch side in Cupecoy right near the Dutch/French line.

There is live entertainment on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Tonight (Sunday) there was a wonderful French Magician. Card tricks, rabbits, magic rings, etc.

Our Amuse Bouche was a cold carrot soup with peppers and curry in a shot glass. Great.

Our first course was an appetizer special, Tuna tartar with mango, salad and seaweed. Again wonderful and more than enough to share. Our main course was grilled grouper with an asparagus sauce, asparagus spears, and green beans. superb.

The wine list is great, we had a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.

Dessert was the Peach Melba which was served like a parfait. Delicious.

Be aware that on the Dutch side there is a 15% service charge added to food. This is not really a tip. It goes for other things. You should leave a tip in addition to the service charge. We leave about 10%.

The owners Valerie and Didier are very gracious along with their whole staff.

Make a reservation if you can.

We think this is a must do place on the island.

Woodbridge, New Jersey
“très magnifique”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

My French friend told me I should not use the term "très magnifique" because the superlative means there is no room for improvement. The meal I had last night at this beautiful restaurant was just that. The atmosphere is warm and inviting, the owner and staff gracious and most welcoming, and the food "très magnifique"! If you don't put Le Bateau Ivre on your list as number one when you come to St. Maarten, stay home!!!

New York City, New York
“Good food but the owner is playing customers”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

The food is good, as well as the service and the bossa nova music.

However, I have two issues with this restaurant.

1) I am very upset at how the owner (man) is tyring to fool us in getting more tips.
He said the service charges that appear on the bill are for various taxes; they are not meant for the staff; I need to leave more for the staff. Interestingly, his staff explains these service charges as "tips" for the personnel.
I hate these gimmicks; so unprofessional. I hate when owners try to fool customers in getting more money.

2) I live in a villa in the low lands (terres basses). I try the best restaurants on the island. Every restaurant I go to always serves you tap water when you ask. Even the Tropicana, and LaSamanna. The water is good and treated. Well the owner of Bateau Ivre does not want to serve tap water; he claims it is not safe; and prefers that you buy his $6 flat water bottle. I find this gimmick to get get additional revenue unacceptable.

For these 2 reasons, I would not recommend the place.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Le-Bateau-Ivre, Propriétaire at Le Bateau Ivre, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Customer,
First of all, I want to introduce myself, I’m Valérie the Owner of Le Bateau Ivre. There is no man asOwner of my restaurant and the incident you relate has occurred with a waiter. I remember very well this evening.
The service charge that is applied on the bill is, according to the law, used for staff salary. (Kitchen staff and waiters)
The waiter who was in charge of your table, probably made confusion in his explanation, it’s why Clémence, who is my manager, went to you in order to explained you the service charge meaning.
About the tape water, it’s true that in Portocupecoy the water provided by GEBE is stored on site in a tank that does not give any guarantees for drinking water.
You cite some restaurants, located in the French side, where the water distribution codes are much stricter and give the Buyers' all warranties.
Therefore, without refusing to serve tap water, we notify our customers.
Perhaps you don't realize how a rated 1 revue is dramatic for a restaurant who tries to give the best cuisine, ambiance and service to his customers … that at the same time you emphasized

Valérie