“The Summit Rocks!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Summit Hotel

You added The Summit Hotel to your Saves list
The Summit Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jordan Road #42 | The Lowlands, Cupecoy Bay, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cupecoy Bay
Vancouver
“The Summit Rocks!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2006

We went to the Summit in May & I think we will be back, we had such a great stay there, just not long enough!

The rooms are great & the grounds are full of interesting vegetation. The pool is magnificent - our first night we went for a swim in the dead of night under a bright moon in the nice warm water overlooking the ocean, a swim & a view I will never forget.

Everyone who works there is great. Chloe & Thierry are such a warm and fun couple - they run the Kissing Fish Bar which with its happy hour is the best place I found in St. Maarten to have a drink, a fun conversation with some new buddies and some delicious home-cooked dinner.

Everyone seems to go back there year after year (it's like Cheers! Everybody knows each other's names) - it's addictive I guess! Beautiful surroundings, great staff, great food, great regulars.

Keep up the good work, Summit Resort!

• Liked — The friendly atmosphere, great views, & great food
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Salt Lake City, UT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2006

We just returned from a week in St. Maartens and stayed at the Summit Resort overlooking Simpson Bay. Although we were happy withour timeshare unit the highlight was definately the Kissing Fish restaurant/bar by the pool.

The Kissing FIsh features a limited menu but everything they do is fantastic! Personal favorites were the handmade pizzas, BBQ ribs and banana pancakes. Chloe and Thierry are fantastic hosts and maintain a fun atmosphere. We met a lot of local residents in the restaurant and bar as well. Even if you are not a guest at the Summit it is well worth a visit to the Kissing Fish. Check it out at ----

Lorain, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2006

I admit I was rather hesitant staying here after some of the reviews I had read...Fortunately, we had one of the best vacations ever! The room was spotless - no ants or bugs were seen, although we did keep open food in the microwave and clean the dishes as soon as we were done eating. I would think that would just be common sense in the Caribbean. We had the pool totally to ourselves the entire week. Once in awhile a med. student would take a dip. Chloe and Theri were great! Chloe makes a mean rum punch! And Theri's breakfasts are superb!

If you are looking for a luxery motel, then this is not the place to go. But if you want peace and solitude, and a very, very laid back atmophere - you will be in heaven. We would go back in a heartbeat! Did I also mention that they upgraded us to a wonderful, ocean view bungelow!

• Stayed June 2006
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2006

I stayed at the Summit while racing at the Heineken Regatta. The room was spotless and the staff was very friendly. I had a nice view from both rooms. They were able to find me a room for the last couple of nights that I wasn't able to book before I arrived.
The pool was nice and we had a couple of nice breakfasts at the restaurant by the pool. The AC worked well and it was quiet at night.
This is not an upscale resort, but it's clean, and has a nice view. The front desk arranged a taxi when needed.

I would stay at the hotel again. I was very pleased with my stay.

• Stayed March 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2006

Picked the Summit on a recommendation from family. Looking for decent, rather inexpensive, condo type accomodations. Understood we weren't getting anything fancy.
Arrived and told the room we had specifically booked many months ago was unavailable. Staff was unapologetic about it. Ok, no big, got another unit and unpacked. Saw a couple of ants in the bathroom. We understand this is the Caribbean and figured maybe the window was left open. Went to the bar for a drink-bartender was great. Went to the grocery store to stock up on breakfast foods. Returned to unit to see kitchen CRAWLING with ants. Went down to report problem to staff, both of whom were again unapologetic. One man came up to the unit with industrial bug killer, opened up all the cabinets and sprayed all glasses, appliances, EVERYTHING. He then, inexplicably, shrugged and said 'Now they're gone', as if anything about this act made anything better. (I shudder to think of people drinking out of those glasses.) They were very annoyed that we had even complained (this isn't an exaggeration- there were HUNDREDS of ants crawling from the dishwasher door up to the counter and up on the backsplash to the back of the cabinet, and inside where the dishes and pots were located). They had no other rooms for us, no suggestions on where to stay other than to come back the next day when another room was available, and basically had no time for our complaints. I understand 'things happen' and always believe it isn't what happens, it's how you handle it. They get a 'F' for handling the entire situation. We had to pack up the car and drive around looking for someplace else to stay that would take us for 8 days (during the Heineken Regatta- a very busy time!) and ended up at the Sonesta Maho, where we had a great experience (unfortunately no refrigerator was available to store the $100+ groceries we bought). Ugh. All in all, will return to St. Maarten, but NOT to the Summit.
Important P.S. The woman who actually owned the unit was apologetic over the phone and has offered to return the full amount.

Stayed March 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2006

After coming back from The Summit Resort for my tenth year, I clearly know why I keep on returning. When you arrive at the hotel, the staff greets you will smiles and treats you like family. The rooms are very spaciaous and comfortable with amazing views of Simson Bay. The view from the pool deck is the best on the island. Great price, great rooms, and a great view. Great Hotel.

• Stayed February 2006
Aliso Viejo, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2005

The Summit is not quite a one star motel. We needed a hotel near the airport as we were only staying one night on our way to St. Barths. We arrived late and were given room #17B - a loft type with very steep stairs to access the room - very difficult with luggage. The bed was awful, the a/c very noisy and the room did not appear very clean. In addition, some lights did not work. Very overpriced at $110 USA (plus taxes); the room was not even worth $29.99 per night. The front desk staff only did the minimum they were required and at their own pace. I am so glad we only had to stay one night - I would never stay here again. The complex is also a timeshare - which I would NEVER recommend to anyone. Cut your losses and stay elsewhere!

• Stayed July 2005

Been to The Summit Hotel? Share your experiences!