“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Summit Hotel

You added The Summit Hotel to your Saves list
The Summit Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jordan Road #42 | The Lowlands, Cupecoy Bay, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Offers & Announcements
20% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cupecoy Bay
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

This was my first solo trip ever. I was used to traveling with my family that I decided it was time for me to leave the nest and go on my first solo vacation and I happily chose St Maarten as my destination. As a future pilot, this is the best place to go. I booked my stay with Kayak and wasn't expecting much from a 3 star hotel. However when I arrived at the hotel I was in shock. For a little 3 star place it looked great. I wasn't in need of much so it suited my needs perfectly. The view was amazing and the food was great. Had breakfast every morning. One time I woke up a bit later than usual but the woman that was working the kitchen had no problem making some french toast for me.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
BruceSXM, Owner at The Summit Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Dear Andrew A,

Thank you very much for the great review you posted about the Summit Hotel on TripAdvisor. I am delighted that you chose us for your first solo trip and really glad we were able to exceed your expectations too. We are rated as a 3 star hotel primarily because we are not fancy and high end and offer a simple, clean, comfortable property at a mid level price. Most guests feel we deliver great value for the money.

As a future pilot, I hope you spent time at Sunset Bar and enjoyed the great up close view they offer of planes taking off and landing right over your head. If you decide to visit St Maarten again I hope we have a chance to welcome you back to the Summit.

All the best,
Bruce Jakubovitz, Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
St. Petersburg, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

I am at the Summit right now. We are scheduled to be here for another 8 nights but decided yesterday to move to another hotel despite the costs. For us, this is a two week timeshare unit which we bought 20 years ago when they were first renovating the property. Also, I realize that we have not been here in about 8 years and I know things change. But, after this past week, I can no longer recommend this hotel. Overall, we have no problems with the property - still beautiful and well kept up. The front desk staff are friendly and accommodating as is housekeeping and maintenance. Great friendly folks. Despite all the development, the Summit is still an oasis, tucked away from most of it with a beautiful view. Our problem is with the pool/bar and restaurant area. We found it to be unusable by guests seeking some quiet days by the pool, reading, talking, listening to the sound of Simpson Bay lagoon. We came in last Saturday and planned to not leave the property on Sunday but sit by the pool, swim a bit etc. This was not possible. The Summit pool appears to have become a Sunday gathering place for local/neighborhood families - from about 9am to 9pm. There was no space for hotel guests. And, as our unit has a direct view of the pool, there was never any quiet for us. Over the past week, the children of the bar/restaurant staff appeared to "live" in the pool -- screaming, jumping, running, hitting each other etc... Very unpleasant. Not at all peaceful.. even while sitting on our balcony. As I said, I know things change but this was not a change I was expecting. It felt disrespectful and rude to guests and timeshare owners.

Things change. We probably won't be back.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
BruceSXM, Owner at The Summit Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear morgana2000,

When I first saw the title of your review, I was concerned that you were going to have bad things to say about the Summit Resort Hotel. I was pleasantly surprised, however, to see all the kind words and wonderful compliments you gave us instead.

I very much appreciate you saying that the Summit property is “beautiful and well kept up” and I completely agree with you about the front desk staff being “friendly and accommodating.” It was also nice to see you acknowledge our housekeeping and maintenance staff and refer to everyone as “Great friendly folks.” You were even so kind as to refer to the Summit as “an oasis, tucked away…with a beautiful view.”

Many guests have posted reviews here on TripAdvisor that mirror these same compliments about the Summit and I think readers of these reviews can get a good sense of the hotel from them. We are indeed a warm, welcoming hotel and, having just celebrated our 40th anniversary on St. Maarten, we are fortunate to have many guests return year after year to what they consider their own little slice of paradise.

Your only “problem,” as you call it in your review, is that you had to share the hotel pool with other guests, some of whom had children and some of whom, apparently, were acting as children sometimes do around swimming pools. We do ask guests to monitor their children’s behavior but, as you can imagine, this is sometimes difficult to achieve. It should be noted that use of the Summit pool is restricted to hotel guests only and our security staff do a very good job of enforcing this policy. The fact that you mistakenly assumed that certain paying guests were “local/neighborhood families” is most unfortunate. I can assure you they were not.

While most visitors to the Summit are from the U.S., Canada and Europe, we are also fortunate to have guests visit us from other parts of St. Maarten and from other Caribbean islands as well. This is especially true at this time of year when the people of the Caribbean tend to take their vacations. I think this is because we offer guests a beautiful environment and authentic Caribbean setting as opposed to the many concrete and glass, high-rise hotels one sees these days. I hope you will agree that all guests are entitled to the same use of the hotel’s facilities regardless of where they are from.

As I said above, I was concerned when I saw the title of your review but I realize now that the title does not match the mostly positive content of your review. I do agree, however, that the Summit is “not what it was” when you last visited the property eight years ago. Since that time we have spent tens of thousands of dollars upgrading guest rooms, improving guest buildings and enhancing our lush landscaping. If anything, the Summit today is far better than it was eight years ago. I hope readers of this review will note the many positive comments in your review along with those from so many other reviewers who have said the same about us for so many years. We truly appreciate them all.

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

To this lovely, charming Caribbean hotel. We so enjoy the setting here. Lush tropical landscaping and a beautiful view of the lagoon. There is a nice pool overlooking the lagoon, with a pool bar and restaurant serving simple and tasty fare. There is free wifi, which is an added perk. There are still places on the Island that charge for this service. Staff is always pleasant and welcoming.

Room Tip: Rooms are on two levels. As we have gotten older we now take a room on the lower level.
Dear Bijslim,

Wow, thank you very much for the wonderful review and great ratings you posted for the Summit Hotel on TripAdvisor. It means a lot to us to have guests who return to the Summit year after year, as you do, and we strive to continue to earn your business for many years to come. I am glad you enjoy the lush tropical setting and beautiful view and I think both contribute to the peaceful, relaxing feeling that guests have at the Summit. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to our little slice of paradise.

Best regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

i was there for a week it was a nice Hotel about 15min walking from Maho Beach !! the manager ( girl ) amazing girl gave us a ride from the Hotel to the Airport. The room was clean thats so important for me i really spend a good time.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Cit G,

Thank you so much for the kind words you posted about the Summit on TripAdvisor. I really appreciate them. Our manager, Evans, along with the rest of our staff are always happy to go out of their way to help guests enjoy their stays with us. The warm, personal feeling you get while at the Summit is just one of the things that makes us unique. I hope you will come back and visit us again in the future.

Many thanks,
St. Lucia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

The Summit is the perfect stay for any occasion. The rooms are spacious (thought the bathroom is a tad bit small) and accommodating. The rooms are cleaned daily although the cleaner can do a better job. There are mirrors all over the room and as a girl that's the icing on top the cake. It's a wonderful, quiet place with an amazing view of the island. Perfect for having breakfast on your balcony in the early morning. The architecture is pretty and unique (as far as I've experienced). It's basically two story buildings scattered around with a room upstairs and one downstairs. The deck area with the pool is perfect for lounging, eating/having a drink or just swimming. It's also situated in a great location (Cupecoy) with nightlife, casinos, restaurants and other hotels. The restaurants around do serve great food so don't hesitate to try them out. The beach is also walking distance from the hotel which is lovely.

Room Tip: Ask for a deluxe suite which overlooks the pool and has a view of the lagoon and the island. I staye...
Dear Scookie2014,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review you posted about the Summit Hotel on TripAdvisor. The fact that you are from St. Lucia, and really know island living, makes your review that much more special to me. I'm glad you enjoyed the peaceful, quiet feeling one gets at the Summit and, I agree, having breakfast on your private balcony while overlooking the lagoon and enjoying that magnificent view is a great way to start the day. I'm glad you had a chance to explore the local Cupecoy area too as there are so many great places to eat, shop and enjoy that are right nearby. I hope we have a chance to welcome you back to the Summit again in the near future.

Best regards,
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We stayed in the off-season and virtually had the place to ourselves. The room was okay. Shower had trouble maintaining temperature (As you stood in the water stream, the temperature would fluctuate widely). Bed was comfortable. View was quite nice. Cushioned chair at desk had a very bad funky smell to it.

Dear Frank A,

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts about the Summit Hotel on TripAdvisor. I am sorry though that we did not earn more than a rating of average from you. The shower problem you mentioned was reported to our maintenance staff and the water heater in that room was replaced. We do not hear that complaint often and I apologize for that problem happening while you were here. I am glad the bed was comfortable and that you enjoyed the view and hope you will give us a chance to earn a higher rating from you on your next visit.

Many thanks,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I have been to St. Maarten several times and every time I choose the Summit. The staff is like family, so friendly and genuine. They go out of their way to include the guests in all activities and nightlife. Karaoke night is the best!
Excellent location, walking distance to several beaches, casinos, restaurants, malls.
Rooms were clean and spacious. Tropical feel the whole time were were there. We didnt want to be bound by concrete walls while in paradise, and the terraces and full front windows made sure of this!
Highly recommend this hotel to all my friends and family!

Room Tip: Lagoon front view makes for spectacular mornings and nights. sunrise and sunset is breathtaking.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear elliotc216,

Thank you for the wonderful review you posted about the Summit Hotel on TripAdvisor. I really appreciate it. I love the title of your review as well because I really do think that a friendly staff, who enjoy their work and love to greet guests and make them feel at home, makes all the difference in helping guests enjoy their vacations. The Summit is a down to earth, friendly hotel and we love having guests like you who come back to visit so often. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to our beautiful island.

All the best,
Bruce Jakubovitz, Owner

Been to The Summit Hotel? Share your experiences!