“Decent place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Summit Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Summit Hotel to your Saves list
The Summit Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jordan Road #42 | The Lowlands, Cupecoy Bay, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Special Rate
Free room upgrade
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Cupecoy Bay
Willemstad, Curacao
“Decent place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Cheap hotel close to Maho Beach and the Airport. Quiet and peacefulplace. Very large rooms with microwave and kitchen. Swimmingpool with a nice view. Good place for families. Staff was polite and helpful. It is close to the American University. Not a party place but in 5 minutes you will be in Maho.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
BruceSXM, Owner at The Summit Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Curtraveller,

Thank you for your 4 star rating and very nice comments about the Summit Resort Hotel in St. Maarten. While we prefer terms like "inexpensive" or "moderately priced" to cheap, we do agree that we strive to serve guests who want to maximize their vacation dollars when visiting our beautiful property and island. We appreciate your recognizing us as a quiet, peaceful place with good views, friendly staff and good for families as these are exactly the attributes we use to promote ourselves to potential guests. We also heartily agree that we are not a party place - by design - but, as you pointed out, we are 5 minutes from the best nightlife and entertainment on the island at the Maho complex. Again, thank you for your positive review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Summit on your next trip to St. Maarten.

All the best,
Bruce Jakubovitz
Owner

146 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

The hotel got a great location if you want to rest. As a matter of fact, a friend of mine recommended it to me knowing that I like nature, good weather and nice views.

The problem was that I booked the economic rooms and I had to move twice either because the shower didn't work, or the air cond was too noisy or because I could hear every step given by my neighbour upstair or because the TV did not work, etc, etc.

In the end I was giving a room with a view. However, next to the room I had the bar. The music was loud every afternoon -nap time!- and a young employee girl complained when I asked her to put it down-. Also twice in a week I had to put up with people trying to sing karaoke songs... that was terrible! It didn't last a couple of hours as I was told by quite a few and the band kept playing on...pathetic!

A pity that they did not pay attention to this when I complained. I know the room was upgraded but still if you want to rest, you don't need so much noise during your stay.

Room Tip: Far from the swimming pool if you want to rest. Make sure to check ALL APPLIANCES before you take th...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
BruceSXM, Owner at The Summit Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Pablo G,

Thank you for your review of the Summit Resort Hotel in St. Maarten. I apologize for the maintenance issues you encountered and wish to assure you that these are quite unusual. It is our standard practice to inspect each room just a few hours prior to guest arrival to ensure that everything is in proper working order. Our procedure obviously failed in the case of your reservation and I am truly sorry for any inconvenience caused to you. As to our music by the pool and karaoke nights, most guests enjoy this but I can appreciate that this was not for you which led you to request a room far from the activity to begin with. We should have done a better job in making sure that room was ready for you and hope that you will give us another chance to deliver the wonderful experience most guests enjoy at the Summit on your next visit to the island.

All the best,
Bruce Jakubovitz
Owner
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

My now husband and I took our first trip to St. Martin and stayed at the Summit Hotel. We had a good experience, the place was very quiet, beautiful, and peaceful. The little cafe is good for breakfast and Deepbleu is great for dinner. Happy hour at the cafe is a great deal too! Location to the beaches are not ideal, you have to drive to get to beaches. Mullet Bay and Cupecoy are near by but at least a 15-20minutes walk.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of Simpson Bay.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Bay Shore, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed here for 1 week and it felt like we weren't on St. Maarten. It was quiet and peaceful. the workers were extremely friendly and more than willing and ready to assist us with anything. The room we had was directly on the water, so you can only imagine the beautiful vew we were waking up to every morning. Didn't want to leave.

Room Tip: ask for room 2B or anything on the water... you'll feel like you're in heaven!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

In the midst of a struggling island economy where maintenance is suffering everywhere, the Summit Resort Hotel is doing a great job of keeping their property tidy. From the gatekeeper to the front desk to room service, they have a great staff that all live up to "The Friendly Island" slogan of Sint Maarten. They have a great chef at their restaurants. Whether it was a scallops and shrimp dinner, the mid-day buffet, or a simple burger and fries, she cooked up some of the most delicious food we had on the island. Plus, she readily added sauteed peppers and onions to our omelettes one morning. Same for the waitress/bartender - she was always ready with a big smile and friendly service.

They also keep several rooms in the back of the property for long term rentals, such as AUC students. It's an easy walk to campus, and comparatively affordable.

Our stay was supposed to be for a week as we helped our daughter move into a dorm at AUC. We were delayed an additional four days due to a tropical storm. The front desk folks not only extended our stay, they even gave us a discount as a "returning customer"! (note - if you have regular prescriptions, bring extras with you, the pharmacies could provide refills for meds we needed just for the asking, but a ten day supply cost as much as a three month supply back home)

General FYI - Dutch side (Sint Maarten) uses 100v/60Hz power just like the USA. French side (Saint Martin) is on 220v power. Driving is on the right, everything is in metric. Road conditions are mostly bad: the locals joke about potholes and "traffic lines" (aka traffic jams). The lines are usually minor, but if a drawbridge is up, be prepared for a long wait. Speed is controlled by surprisingly steep speed bumps, but an entire circuit of the island is less than 30 miles anyway. Beware of bikers - they tend to ignore lane restrictions and dart around traffic as they please.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north (pool) side have the best unobstructed view of Simpson Bay. Second floor rooms a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We enjoyed our two stays at the Summit, first in one of the "Premium Water View Suite's" (Number 2A) and then in their "Two Room Villa" (Number 1). The two room villa (number 1) was gorgeous and well appointed- I strongly recommend paying the small surcharge to stay here instead of a suite. Suite 2A was smaller then I expected and only one room- the bed is practically in the kitchen. Fine for us, but unexpected. Overall it was good value for the money and a lovely quiet place. As other reviewers have commented, everything works fine but it's a dated property- good value for your money but not luxurious.

I wish I had known before hand the following: (1) the resort is hard to find and in a part of the island with worse roads then most other areas- this made it secluded which was nice, but I was surprised it was so out of the way. (2) I was shocked by how 'cheap' it felt at checkin- you have to individually sign out TV remote controls, ethernet cables, and towels, and sign a waver with the dollar value of each if you do not return it. There's also a longer form to sign inventorying the kitchen, but they didn't seem to take that very seriously.

Overall we were happy with our stay and would come again, but I wish I had been better prepared for what to expect.

Room Tip: all rooms seem identical except the two room villa, which is amazingly beautiful. Pay extra for tha...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

My boyfriend my daughter and I stay at Summit Hotel Mid June 2012 and we had a great stay and the stuff was so helpful and nice. The location can't be beat it is near Mullet beach and the Maho area with a Casino and little stores. All in all the was a great trip to St. Martin and a great stay at Summit hotel I will be returning as soon as I can. Thanks to Margie for all her help with everything.
Tassia

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Summit Hotel? Share your experiences!