“Worst dining experience ever” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
France
“Worst dining experience ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

My partner and I and wanted to try our local mexican restaurant...That Little Mexican Place in Victoria Park. After seating us we were told that they have no wine or liquor, so after a quick trip to get some wine (which we were unbelievably charged corkage for) we sat down to order. For main I ordered the lamb shank which after my first bite I discovered was cold...not just cold but straight out of the fridge cold. I asked the waitress about it and she took my plate away and a few minutes later came back with another lamb shank, obviously microwaved. After that I was completely turned off the place. The waitress came back with an apology and a $5.00 voucher off breakfast - not a lot of good to us as we have no intention of ever going back but I appreciated the gesture.....until ten minutes later when a trio at the next table were offered the exact same gesture just for dining there. This restaurant is truly the worst place I have ever eaten and I believe you would be better off going to McDonalds, at least at McDonalds you will get clean restrooms. I have never before written a bad review of a restaurant before but I think people need to know what they are in for.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Perth, Australia
“Favourite place for breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Years ago when the original TLMP first opened, I went for dinner and remember being a little disappointed by the food (I had high expectations, mind you), but once they opened the new restaurant closer to me in Victoria Park and I discovered their breakfast menu I was hooked. I'm not usually big on cooked breakfasts because frankly I find most of the traditional offerings pretty bland, which is where That Little Mexican Place really stands out to me. I have now worked my way through the entire breakfast menu (other than the Huevos rancheros, as I'm not into fried eggs) and there's nothing I'm not keen to have again. The food here is not cheap, but I'm more than happy to pay a little extra to have variety and flavours rather than grease. Mexican flavours work brilliantly with eggs in my opinion.
When I'm in the mood for somethng sweet for breakfast my first stop is the Pickled Fig for their Grizzly Bear Pancakes, but when it's savoury I'm after I head straight for TLMP. It's my favourite place in Perth for breakfast. Highly recommended, even for those who might have been a little underwhelmed by their dinner menu.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Perth, Australia
“Authentic mexican, for something different”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

this place has excellent service and i know it has had bad reviews about the serving sizes but they DO warn you before you order that the dishes are designed for sharing, like a tapas bar. If you prefer to enjoy your food rather than stuff your face then this is the place for yo u!

The crab pastrys were delicious!

Overpriced? yes the added extras like guacamole were extremely small for the price you pay which is the reason why I have given only 4 stars instead of 5.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Perth, Australia
“Great staff but food was average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

Staff were fantastic, knew the menu well and were very very friendly. However, the food was only ok. Down the road is Pancho's... The food there is certainly in a different league to this place, however menus do differ massively. We had 2 mains and 2 starters, only the Jalepeno Poppers were good... Worth a try.

“Not the best!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This place looked great from the outside and was nicely set up however the food was very average. Staff were very attentive but none seemed to have worked longer than a week or two and were still all learning. Food was bland and lacking substance and very expensive for what we got! I was especially disappointed in the mole del dia dish as there was no flavour! No Chilli & definitely no spices! And not much to the dish either. We were left hungry and ripped off. Unfortunately for TLMP, there are many other Mexican restaurants in Perth that are a lot better. We won't be back!

Visited October 2012