“Valued the Village Inn!” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   39 Queen St., Lakefield, Ontario K0L 2H0, Canada   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lakefield
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Innisfil, Ontario
“Valued the Village Inn!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2008

I would just like to say that it was a pure pleasure to stay at the Inn! It was a very inviting experience and one that I know, my hubby and I will be coming to this year sometime! Unfortunately the weekend that my girlfriend and I came, we were unable to visit with Maria as she already was busy with another "GIRLS PACKAGE". But, I have to say that we indulged in the many assortments of chocolates/candies/nuts that were left for us in our room, along with the bottles of wine! I would like to say kudos to you and your staff! AND, my girlfriend and I will be back to stay at the Inn full of lovely decor, great food and friendly staff!
Also, I would like to compliment the wonderful food that is served in the Thirsty Loon! It was to our room in a hurry and hot, as though we had just cooked it ourselves, thank goodness we didn't have to, but honestly....I have nothing but good to say about The Village Inn and it will be a delight for me to return! (especially if there are abundant number of goodies as you had supplied us with!!! LOL)
So, thank you once again and unfortunately there are people out there who don't appreciate the finer things in life! Thanks again and I definetly can't wait to come back for another stay!
If you have never experienced the Village Inn in the little town of Lakefield, Ontario, be sure to go sometime soon! You won't regret it!
CHEERS!

• Liked — Good food, the rooms were cozy, great view of the little town and friendly staff!!
  • Disliked — No pool....but oh well, I don't look great in a bikini anyway!!!
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2008

Planning a girls weekend takes alot of work and when I found this place that stated that it had a "Girls Getaway Spa Package" I jumped at the chance. I spoke to the Inn Keeper while booking our reservations to be sure that everything would be as advertised on their website, he assured me it would be. When we arrived it had a pleasent appearance, very new and clean looking. We were excited to be there. The first thing we wanted to do was the free wine tasting. When we booked the wine tasting we had no idea that it was 45 min away and a $100 cab ride, so we opted to not go. We couldn't figure out why they had included this in their package when it really wasn't that accessable. NOt to mention that check-inis at 3:00pm and the wine tasting closes at 5:00!
The rooms are nothing special. Small and smell of stale tobacco smoke. There really are no perks. They don't provide any toilettries and they have no on site room service or food of any kind. They do have a continental breakfast that had bagels and yogurt and that was about it.
The "SPA" is the worst part of this entire experience. They say that it is "in room" service. The service is poorly organized and they have one woman to perform these services. A woman who is abrasive and rude and has no concept of privacy in a spa treatment. I work in the beauty industry and I have NEVER seen anything like this. We had to walk naked with mud on our bodies only dressed in a short robe through the hotel to our rooms to shower off. The woman while putting mosturizer on us afterward made comments on our body shapes and the ill effects of childbirth. We were in shock. Never had we been so offended!
When we brought this to the inn keepers attention, he just thanked us for our input and basically blew us off! I was not necessarily looking to be compensated for this horrible weekend, but an appology at least! I found the people of Lakefield to be pleasent and accomidating, but this "INN" you should really stay "OUT"!

• Liked — the food off site!!
  • Disliked — the spa treatment
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2008

My friend and I booked the girlfriend getaway package and here is our experience in a nutshell:
1) Did not get the spa services outlined in the advertisement... did however, get run around the hotel in our robes for a $100 treatment that the hotel was no set up for so we had to keep switching rooms.
2) The therapist made comments about my friends weight and figure, suggesting that she was heavy.
3) The wine tasting tour that was supposed to be part of the package was 45 minutes away, we were not informed and by the time we found out they would have been closed by the time we got there.
4) It is supposed to be non-smoking but the room smelled of cigarettes.
5) The spa therapist used the same product on my friend and I without so much as washing her hands or getting fresh products in between.
6) The pub on-site brought our food, but the server never came back with knives or napkins so we got up and got our own. We were the only guests.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — The hotel
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kawartha, Owner at Village Inn of Lakefield, responded to this review, April 7, 2008
In response to the negative comments by two girls who stayed at the Village Inn for a girls Getaway in March, 2008, I would like to respectfully submit a response.
The Wine Tasting Tour is less than 20 minutes away & many guests enjoy the drive & wine tasting. So sorry this guest was under the impression it was further and that they missed such an enjoyable experience.
The Village Inn has been completely non smoking since it was built. If someone does break the non smoking rule and smoke in the room, it is completely refreshed to the best of our ability.
The on site Pub is privately owned by a person independent from the Inn & therefore
not under our control. It does however, usually provide good pub fare & service.
We get many positive compliments on Maria’s services in our mini Spa. She is an extremely professional lady who would not knowingly make anyone feel uncomfortable. Normally , the service described is done in the comfort of a guest’s room & will now only be offered exclusively as such . This will alleviate the problem as mentioned.
It is unfortunate that this guest did not enjoy her stay. Also unfortunate that follow up calls by the Inkeeper were not returned. It is impossible to please everyone all the time no matter how hard we try.
The Village Inn has gained a faithful following of repeat guests in it’s three years of operation and our guest book is full of wonderful comments from past guests. Couples, girls groups, sporting groups & business travelers all rave about the facilities & services. We trust that others will visit us & enjoy the lovely rooms & experience the friendly personal service of our Innkeeper & his excellent staff.

Ont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2007

Had an unexpected late night visit and took them to the Inn. We were treated tremendously by a young staff person which was also "unexpected"!
The place is just beautiful, the staff was great, and the few visitors in the Bar area were amiable and friendly.
This must be Lakefield's secret place?

• Liked — Convenience
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2007

We stayed at the village inn in September just for one night but wished it could have been longer.
The staff was great and even made late dinner reservations for us upon our arrival. The rooms were quiet and cozy and topnotch in every way.
We have and will recommend this inn to all our friends and hope to return to enjoy the small town first class experience again.
Next time hoping to enjoy all the local attractions including the trent waterway which is just across the street from the inn.
This is a definite place to visit if your in the area.

• Liked — first class service from the minute you walk in the door
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
South Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

Ideally situated for a one night stopover near the Petroglyph Provincial Park. I was slightly uneasy as, after making our original reservation for a room with two double beds, we had been asked by the inn-keeper if we would mind swapping our room for another room with a double and a sofa bed, in order to make way for some wedding guests. I needn't have worried too much as the room we were given turned out to be fine, with a balcony over-looking Lakefield's quiet main street.
We ate downstairs in the hotel's pub, the Thirsty Loon. I think I made the wrong choice for my main meal, although everyone else enjoyed theirs, nice beer though. Breakfast (included) the following morning was a bit strange, as it was a buffet laid out in the lobby just opposite the receptionist. I think you were meant to make your choice and then take it back to your room to eat, but we ate ours in the lobby under the gaze of the receptionist. Slightly disappointing, as I had expected the Thirsty Loon to be open for breakfast as they had advertised reasonably priced cooked breakfasts on their menu, never mind...

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Barrie, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2006

Found this lovely Inn via a search on the internet and it is even nicer in person than the pictures showed. We had a luxurious suite with jacuzzi tub. The staff is friendly. The pub is a great place to hang out. We actually met some extrememely nice people there who were also guests at the Inn. Lakefield is definitely a quiet town but all you need to do is take a 10 min drive and you can find plenty to do in Peterborough. Our package included a gift basket with bath/massage items(and they didn't cheap out on this), a lovely bottle of wine and a $35 gift certificate for Cassis Bistro which is only a few doors down the street. We would definitely recommend The Village Inn and we will definitely go back ourselves. It is the perfect romantic getaway.

Chris & Lynda
Barrie, ON

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Village Inn of Lakefield? Share your experiences!