“Amazing location, great service, friendly people” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Beachwood Resort

and 1 more site!
You added Beachwood Resort to your Saves list
Beachwood Resort
3.0 of 5 Ranch   |   3043 Beachwood Drive, Lakefield, Ontario K0L 2H0, Canada   |
Fort Erie, Canada
“Amazing location, great service, friendly people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

I recently stayed at Beachwood resort for a university field course and I did not know what to expect prior to coming here. I work part-time at a hotel in Niagara Falls and have stayed at several resorts in Ontario so I feel I can give a fairly well-informed review. Many resorts and hotels in parts of Ontario are just 'average' to say the least and the service can often be very withdrawn. Beachwood, however, is an exception.

The most notable thing when first arriving is the friendly welcome by the staff and owners of the resort and their helpfulness and service was fantastic throughout the 4 nights I stayed. The view of Deer Bay is amazing and there were lots of great activities provided including kayaking and canoeing.

The chalet I stayed in had a fantastic view, was very clean, and had all sorts of amenities. For a fairly remote part of north-central Ontario, I was impressed with the quality of the lodgings. If people needed more towels, soap or whatever all you had to do was ask the very approachable and available staff.

In terms of the food, both the breakfast and dinner buffets were awesome. The amount and diversity of food provided was exceptional and I did not have one bad meal. Whatever your palate is, you will find much to enjoy.

Overall I really enjoyed my stay at Beachwood and plan to return sometime in the future.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
beachwoodBuckhorn, General Manager at Beachwood Resort, responded to this review, October 6, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review to Tripadvisor.com.

We always appreciate hearing what our guests enjoyed most about Beachwood Resort. Our staff work very hard to provide the best experience for you and to ensure that you are comfortable and have everything you need to make your stay enjoyable.

We hope that you will visit us again in the future. Best of luck with your school year.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
St. Catharines, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

This is the 4th time I've been to Beachwood.

The staff is tremendous and the food is AMAZING. My eyes are ALWAYS bigger than my stomach!!

I get the best sleep of the year when I am there and LOVE the pillows.

St. Catharines, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

I stayed at this resort for four nights for a school field trip and I must say it was a fantastic place. The staff of the resort were more than accommodating and extremely friendly! The resort was beautiful and the food was great!! I would love to stay here again!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to send in a review of our resort to Tripadvisor.com

We appreciate your input and hope you will visit us again in the future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

I stayed at Beachwood in the first week of September for a university research trip to Peterborough. I did my homework and pre-researched Beachwood so that I knew what to expect, and their website tells no lie. The resort is full of amenities to choose from and has an overall pleasant and relaxing atmosphere. The staff and the Morgan family were all very friendly and made myself and my colleagues feel right at home. I stayed in the main lodge in a standard room, which is on the small side, but for just 1 person it was comfortably cozy.

The reason why I'm not giving this 5 stars is because I feel there are some minor issues that should be addressed. Firstly, housekeeping service was quite minimal. At other establishments, housekeeping cleans the room, replaces used towels, and makes the bed. My room received very little attention while I was out doing my field research. When I would re-enter in the evening, I would have no new towels, no new soap (which ran out twice), and the bed was not made. These aren't big things of course, nothing to rant about. The front desk staff has these supplies upon request free of charge. I just think they should be replaced without having to ask.

Secondly, the televisions in the main lodge are very old RCA sets with the UHF dials. As previously mentioned in another person's review, these sets are in complete working order. However, there is a minimum selection of channels to choose from. That again is not a big problem, but with Digital TV becoming the new standard across Canada, the sets should be upgraded to be compatible.

Thirdly, the food, in my opinion, was hit and miss. Some days, the food was amazing! 5 star quality even! Other days, the food was blah. One day, the dinner buffet included steak, and everyone at my table had steaks that could hardly have passed for cooked! They were so rare that they were bleeding all over the plate! Better quality-control is needed to ensure that the food is always great!

Those are my two cents about Beachwood. I would seriously consider returning in the future as a summer getaway, but would appreciate it if these minor issues are tackled. I'm sure others who have written reviews about Beachwood have said these same things (or at least thought about them).

Room Tip: Beware: Lodge rooms are small! If you need space, book a cottage.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
beachwoodBuckhorn, General Manager at Beachwood Resort, responded to this review, September 9, 2011
Hello Devin509:

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor.

We enjoy hosting the students and staff of your University each September and have done so for many years.

Both the University and Beachwood Resort are committed to keeping costs to a minimum for you, the student. Keeping your costs in mind, the university has designed a customized package: opting out of a full maid service and having buffet meal service each morning and evening.

Each day used towels are replaced with fresh ones, amenities are replenished where needed, garbage is emptied, & recycling collected.

Hearty buffet breakfasts and dinners ensures there is a variety of foods to offer for the varied dietary needs of each student attending the field trip. Steaks on the buffet are cooked to different degrees of wellness ranging from rare to medium well. Had we known yours was not prepared to your likeness, we would have been more than happy to correct this situation for you.

Beachwood Resort offers many different types of accommodations and flexible package options that caters to each groups individual needs.

We hope to see you again at our hidden gem in the Kawarthas (for a family vacation perhaps?)

We wish you a successful school year!

Beachwood Resort
Ontario, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

We've stayed at beach wood for the past two summers and have enjoyed our stay. The children used the half day program. We relaxed at the beach or in our clean and comfy cottage. Meals are great. Staff is very available and helpful. Lots to do. Great value. Would recommend early summer when lake swimming is better.

buffalo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

I want to start by saying that I have been going to Beachwood since I was a little girl. I have continued to bring my family and we have loved it every time. If you go here and talk to the guests you will find that many of them are also repeat visitors. I write this review because prior to any trip I go on I try to read and research as much as I can so I know what I am getting myself into. So here it is.

Beachwood is located in an extremely beautiful setting. If you are looking to get back to nature and remove yourself from the headaches of traffic, malls and noise this is for you. As you sit on the dock and look across the lake you see loons, cranes, osprey, and lots of beautiful wild life. This is a quiet lake. There is boat traffic and jet ski action around the lake but there are times you can look out and see no one on the lake. Boat launch is right on property and is easy to get in and out of. Docks are available for your watercraft's.

This resort is small. It contains 6 waterfront cottages, 1 duplex, a lodge with rooms and some condo's. I go with my brother and his family and there are 8 of us total. We rent one of the 4 bedroom cottages. We find this to be the most economical. We have stayed in the Centennial and the Bayshore. I prefer the Bayshore. It is a little newer but still is probably over 20 years old. I like Bayshore because the bedrooms are larger and the bed sizes are better. There is also a roll away bed that can fit into any of the bedrooms. You can easily sleep 9 and everyone would have their own bed.

The size of this resort is also very nice if you are traveling with young children. Almost everything is within eye's range. My kids always enjoyed feeling like they had some freedom even though I always knew where they were.

Activities on the resort include a very small sandy beach, lots of kayaks, canoes, tennis courts, water trampoline, and of course all the swimming and fishing that you can imagine. If you are staying in a cottage and think you might want to swim off of your own dock I will advise you to bring some rafts and inner tubes and I will warn you that it is difficult to get out of the water. You can walk to shore but the seaweed is less than desirable to walk through. Speaking of seaweed. There is a weed bed in front of this resort. Swimming at the beach you wouldn't notice but you will notice if you go out a little further or by your dock. By the way this weed bed makes if very desirable for fishermen. Plenty of stories about some big fish out front of this resort. A one week conservation license for non residents cost me $25. each plus $8.57 for a temp. card. I guess the temp card is good for 3 years.

Here are some of the negatives: not that they have stopped me from returning:
-No air condition, bring your own fans
-raccoons, they like to get into your garbage at night, don't leave out garbage or fishing worms
-mosquito's at night are usually unbearable, bring but spray and long pants and sleeves.
-limited kitchen equipment. If you plan on preparing something and you need a special
piece of equipment bring it. Example the cottage came with a cookie sheet, but it was too big for the smaller sized oven in the cottage.
-no towels, bring your own
-pillows aren't that great, bring your own
-no cable tv, but I don't think you need to watch tv unless it is rainy
-it's still is a cottage, not a Sheraton, don't expect room service, shampoo in the
bathroom or daily cleaning service
-if you need to grill bring your own or pay for propane

Here are the positives:
-did I say quiet and relaxing? (yep it is the best part of this trip)
-plenty for kids to do
-on site laundry facilities
-if you don't want to cook, you can eat at the lodge (although it isn't cheap)
-fire wood is always available and it is free
-cottages are well kept and clean when you arrive
-some essentials can be bought at the lodge (ice, milk, works, candy, ice cream)
-the lodge does provide tennis rackets, video's, books and an assortment of board games.
-free wireless internet, bring a lap top if you need computer access
-fishing is usually good, you can pull out a sunny fish within minutes of dropping a line
which is great for the kids to have fun. With a little luck there is bigger and better out
there. We have been know to catch some big bass and even a muskie once and a
while.
-kids program that is in the morning
-sheets and blankets are provided.
-each person gets on tube ride per day for free
-lawn chairs provided and picnic table for each cottage
-plenty of dishes, glasses and silverware
-microwave, blender, toaster and coffee maker are in the cottages
-in ground swimming pool overlook lake

If you are looking for something small and personal this place is a must. It is family owned and operated. The family even lives on the resort property. Many of the Morgan children can be seen playing around the resort. I love this place and will continue to come back for many more years. It has become a family tradition and a great way to spend some time with your family without TV's, telephones, and computers. Back to basics. I love this place and will continue to come back for many more years. I have never been disappointed!!!!!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

This is our 2nd year at the Beachwood Resort, and it was a fantastic time. The Morgan Family is wonderful and welcoming, Andrew who drives the boats is awesome, and the chef - WOW - always out does himself. It is a great family resort, that offers daily tubing/waterskiing as part of the package. You can eat in the restaurant or at your cottage.

We have stayed in the Islandview/Treetop duplex each year. Our friends rent the upper unit and we rent the lower unit, it works out great. These units are the newest of all the cottages and are a little bit more modern. Bedding is provided and for an extra cost towels can be provided. Kayaks, canoes and a paddle boat are all at the guest diposal, along with the super cool water trampoline. Then there is also a salt water pool right beside the beach to also cool off in if needed.

I reccommend when going up to bring some big coffee cups, and plastic cups, as what is provided in the cottages tend to be quite small. No need to bring chairs or loungers all is provided. The town of Buckhorn is about 5 minutes away and it has an LCBO and a supermarket, so it is easy to shop once arriving.

It is a great lake, we spent all days at the beach soaking up the sun, eating, drinking and enjoying this great resort. I would highly reccommend it!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Beachwood Resort? Share your experiences!