After doing a thorough research online about the resort (which we had got in exchange for our RCI weeks), I was fully prepared for bad service and maintenance. What happened at the end of our week long stay, however, was much worse than anything I have ever faced in the hospitality sector before.
We were to leave early morning, and the night before leaving we went to settle our bill. They had told us an X amount per room per day when we checked in, and had even written it on our check-in sheet. They suddenly asked for X + 25%. We were ok with paying the extra amount since it was presumably the receptionist's error at the time of check-in. However, instead of asking politely and admitting their mistake, they started talking roughly and rudely asking us to cough up the amount. Then we got irritated and told them we will settle next morning, as we were in no mood for the harassment they were causing us. When we went to pay next morning, they started behaving even worse. Worst is that they had overnight changed all the documents to the X + 25% amount to cover up and even tore the original check-in document after snatching it from us. They had changed all the check-in documents with the increased amount but the old check-in date!
They went to the extent of calling my mother "blind". They were behaving so badly that we were quite prepared to call the cops, but decided against it since we would miss our flight. They started taunting us saying that even the Supreme Court won't be able to do anything without documentary proof. After we paid the entire X + 25% amount, they still kept talking rudely, and wouldn't let us out of the hotel gates till they were sure we did not have any documentary proof of the X amount they had quoted.
This is worse than cheating. They caused us a lot of harassment till we were in tears, for a mistake they made. That too when we were willing to pay the amount they were demanding initially, till they started misbehaving.
Regarding room maintenance - heater, geyser, electric stove etc keeps conking off. Sheets have holes, and some days they couldn't give us fresh towels till evening since they said they were short of towels! The main problem seems to be that they are SEVERELY shortstaffed. Club Mahindra next door is grand and with excellent service compared to this place. Club Mahindra probably has as much staff in a restaurant as this place has on its entire property, even though their property is quite large.
Things which were ok - food, massage, room size and cleaning staff (on being paid generous tips). However, their obnoxious behaviour overshadowed everything else, and this was a nightmarish experience which I hope never to face again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Terrace Greens is nestled within undulating hills in the quiet village of Chinnakanal, some 18 kms from the hustle and bustle of Munnar town. The resort is located high above the Munnar town with splendid views of the Anaiyirangal Dam, tea gardens and surrounding forests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, HotelTravel.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Munnar - Terrace Greens, A Sterling Holidays Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sterling Resorts Munnar Hotel Chinnakanal
- Sterling Resort Munnar
- Sterling Hotel Munnar
- Munnar - Terrace Greens, A Sterling Holidays Resort Kerala, India - Chinnakanal