“not the best” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Be Live Hamaca Garden

You added Be Live Hamaca Garden to your Saves list
Be Live Hamaca Garden
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Duarte, Esq. Caracol, 1, Boca Chica 15700, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Boca Chica
freepot
“not the best”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

This resort is a bit run down. Check in desk takes well over an hour for any services. The buffet where most of your meals are served is outdoors and the food is not enclosed in glass so there are flies all over it. It is not safe to walk around outside the resort. The electric and water frequently shut down. While the people are curteous and do their best, the amount of money spent is best spent in another location.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Haiti
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Contrary to bad reviews of this hotel, I found it fun and comfortable. It is not high end, however the staff is efficient and friendly. The food at the main buffet is just ok, but the other 4 restaurants of the hotel serve delicious meals, but you have to reserve in advance and they are included. The room and hotel were clean and practical. This was definitely affordable fun at the beach!

Room Tip: Rooms by the beach have higher noise level, due to beach activities
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I had read all the terrible comments and a series of local friend recommended there for I book the hotel and decided to check it out myself. Here is the review that will help many people to make the decision to stay or not to stay. I am a spanish speaking person and for me was very easy to move around. Lets talk about the good things first. First it is an all inclusive hotel, the food and all drinks are included. it is next to the beach, their personnel was very polite and friendly. Something that I observed very interesting was Marcos the bartender in the beach bar, even if he did not understand the language of some guest he by hand signal and a very friendly way make the guest feel good by providing the drink the guest requested. Marcos performed in a very professional way and together with the rest of the staff in the beach bar they were making sure you enjoy your stay in the hotel, Great job guys!! Second, the Food was great, the dinner Buffet and the Breakfast was excellent great selection of tropical fruits, pastries, bread and off coarse the traditional Mangu in the morning. Third, the exotic surrounding area where well maintained. Fourth, the security was very good all over the place, they make you feel secure. Fifth, the pool look good, I am not a pool person but it look very good. six, Outdoor activities from Scuba diving to riding in the banana ride was looking real good and exiting also, a kids activity in the beach was looking real good.
Now, lets talk about the bad things, but before lets take in consideration that this hotel is near the beach, it is a traditional beach hotel. What I mean with this, do not expect any carpet in your room, you will get regular tile and sand all over the place which it is typical on the Caribbean hotels and rustic furniture possible brush painted including old TV with no cable or satellite signal. Shower was good and great hot water. This is Normal in the Caribbean culture.
Now the bad things, first, the hotel is lack of maintenance all over, this mean if is broke it will stay broke. Many things in the surrounding are are broke or dirty and there are no fix action. Holes around the pool that could cause a safety concern are not been taken care. A broken lamp will stay broken. Second, In the room dirty moldy sink it is unacceptable, clearly show the cleaning person do not use clorox base cleaner to kill the mold. Third, The hotel say in the map they provide with the key of your room that they are not responsible for things left outside the safe, however the safe has no lock to secure. Fourth, in the bathroom the toilet seat all beat up, stain and create doubts if you want to seat on it. The toilet paper hanger missing, there for toilet paper is running loose in the bathroom. Fifth, Dust all over the place clearly show no cleaning had been done in the room that are not been used. The towers are old, they were clean but you can notice they are no longer white towels. Six, balcony, the double door to access the balcony is hold with a chain because lock does not work and door does not close, the balcony hand bar the paint is pealing by water damage and no fix action.

I hope the maintenance people and the management put the same effort as the rest of the employees that had made my stay really pleasant. The bad thing can be fixed with a little more effort from the management, and more supervision. Would I recommend the hotel to my friend ? well, Yes! but I will warn them so they can go prepare. Would I stay again in the hotel? Considering the warm attendance I had received from the personnel and the all inclusive my answer is yes!
Just because I had stay in another brand hotel near the airport and it was clean, service excellent and room with carpet ,cable, free wifi but, breakfast I pay $25.00, almost got a harts attack lunch $25.00 and Dinner the same and no place to look for a bear in the street there for I pay 7 dollars for a small presidente a domestic beer at the bar.
If you can't tolerate those bad things I mentioned before then don't stay in this hotel, but if you can then enjoy it like I did I have a lot of fun..!!
I hope this will help you decide if you go or not. Take a look to my pictures and you will see what Im talking about. This hotel also have Casino and disco but I did not had the time to check it out. Also had local vendors for souvenirs .

Room Tip: I had stay in the building 14 and was kind of quiet and close to the food but far from the bar.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Jersey City, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I took someone's advice and called the hotel directly after making cancelable reservations. I very nicely told them I was going to cancel because of all the terrible stuff I saw all over the internet. I called because I really wanted to stay in BC and there aren't very many choices. I also saw some decent reviews, so I thought I could make my stay pleasant by doing early damage control. It worked, to an extent. Hence, 2 stars instead of 1.

I was directed to customer service when checked in. Apparently, this was as a result of my call early on. At least someone cares. I spoke with Marcel, who seemed to do what he could to give me a good room. I had booked the least expensive room but made it clear that I would have no problem with upgrading to get what I wanted. I wasn't upgraded but the room was okay... at least everything seemed to be working and there were sufficient towels. The problem was the balcony was only several yards away from the pool, so there was no privacy. Still, it was pretty much what I expected and I wasn't going to let that deter me.

There seems to be a growing trend among hotels, at least in the DR, to limit or eliminate outlets. My room had 0 outlets. I think this is incredibly in poor taste. It just so happens that they sell power strips on the premises. I learned to bring my own now. So, this wasn't going to deter me, but it was another nail in the coffin.

However, I kind of freaked out over the wi-fi. It's handled by an outside company but as far as I'm concerned, Hamaca is responsible. The charge is $25/day or $60/week. AND, the login is only good for one device. We had 4 devices - 2 phones, iPad and laptop. And then they told me to go back to the lobby, a nice distance, to get a lock for the safe. Why don't they tell you these things when you're booking or at the reservation desk?

That's when I decided to blow the place off and forfeit the $300 or so I paid for booking in advance. [Hopefully, I'll get some back from Orbitz.] I was prepared for this to happen and had alternatives lined up. Given all the other negatives I heard about the place, I knew I wasn't going to enjoy myself. Marcel was gone for the day. There was no manager available. I spoke with the check-out reservation clerk and wrote a detailed report why I was leaving. He promised to have a manager call, not that it would have done any good. No one called anyway.

I think the only reason they stay in business is because there's no real alternatives available.

Room Tip: There are people that would enjoy the Hamaca. I happen to be very picky. If you're determined...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bronx, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I didn't do my research like i usually do what can i do I'm ready book so i when along with it.what can i tell you about the hotel the people are rude but you do find some friendly one they want to sell you everything squeeze every little money they can out of u.You have to pay for a safe deposit box to keep your documentation safe.the drinks was nothing but water the beer was the only thing i drink.My room was not that bad i wasn't there all the time but it was clean and they clean everyday but i hear story from other people about there rooms.They even charge you to make a phone calls anybody anywhere.PEOPLE DO LISTEN TO THE REVIEW GO SOMEWHER ELSE DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE BOOKING THIS TERRIBLE HOTEL.TI LOOK NICE IN THE OUTSIDE BUT TERRIBLE INSIDE.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Firts let me tell you I do not speak Spanish also I booked directly with the resort through thier website (not a 3rd party like Bookings.com, Travelocity or Agoda etc..).
Worst stay at an all-inclusive I been too. It all started with the hotel not picking me up at the airport even though I confirmed and was assured they would be there. The front desk is a free for all, no lines just go to the counter and get someone to help you. Once at the counter the front desk could not find my reservations because the HOTEL set it under my middle name not my first name. I was 2 hours early for hotel check-in time of 3pm. The gentleman did give me my wrist band and told me to come back at 3pm for the room, that was all the English he knew. I asked where can I eat and was told to look at the map. The map is in SPANISH!!!! So as I sat there trying to figure out where I was and where I needed to go on this map that I did not understand, another guest asked me to follow him to the buffet where I could eat. He explained many things to me on the way to the buffet that every guest should know before arriving. He also pointed out where to make reservations (24 hours in advance) for the other restaurants if I wanted something other than the buffet. I thanked him and went and ate alone and ejoyed my food. It was only 2pm by the time I finished my lunch and decided I was thirsty. But first I made a reservation for the gourmet restaurant for the next night. Now I knew of only 1 bar and that was the lobby bar I saw when I walked into the resort. So I sat down and ordered a beer. The bartenders made sure my glass never went empty while I waited to check in. At 3pm I checked in (another free for all at the counter) and was promtly waited on, 45 minute wait!!!!! Now it is almost 4pm and getting to late to go to the beach. So I set out to find my room as I was pointed in the direction it was. 15 minute search and I was in my room. I dropped off my bag and went back down stairs to get another beer as I was thirsty for the search for my room. Again my glass did not go empty. At 5pm my bartenders shift was finished for the day so I decided to look around the resort to see what was available. I found the beach as I could see it from my room but had no idea how to get to it. I saw a couple of other resaurants and even a few bars on the beach along with 3 swimming pools. They say they have 5 pools, I guess the other 2 is in the garden area of the resort and I was in the beach area. By now it is almost dinner time, so I set out to find the buffet again. I found it easily this time and had a wonderful meal. They offer a wide varity of foods. On my way back to my room I saw a bingo game getting ready to start. So I played the games of bingo afterwards I was told there would be a band playing so I waited around for that also. Afterwards I stopped by the disco that is next to the resort (bring ear plugs). I was unable to order a drink as the music was to loud for me so I promptly left and went back to my room as it was around midnight anyway. The next morning I decided to make coffee in my room. I saw the coffee maker and supplies the night before but did not inventory them. After 10 minutes of trying to get the fliter holder back in the machine I was able to pour the water in. As the coffee was making I started to fix my cup, I added sugar and then looked for the creamer (none available) then looked for a straw to stir my coffee again none available. I was shocked at this as ever room with a coffee maker should have creamer, sugar and something to stir it all together with at a minimum. So I drank my sugar only coffee on my balcony that over looked the beach (as long as I looked sideways from it). The breeze was nice as I sat and read my book. After breakfast I went to the beach and asked for towels. I was asked for my ticket for the towel. I promtly asked where do I get a ticket from. He informed me from the front desk. I asked do I need to walk all the way back to the front desk to get a ticket for a towel. He let me check one out by writing my name down and promising to get a ticket at the front desk next time I was up that way. I said no problem. I found a nice spot on the beach and started to relax. The beach staff are great people as they saw that I was not having a very good time because of all the problems I was having and decided I needed attention. So that me to do yoga on the beach and then play a few games along with personaly giving me spanish lessons. That was the start of a better time, but the front desk had pretty much reuined my trip. The next 2 days was fun as I went to the beach each day. My nights was filled with bingo and watching shows afterwards.
I did not spend much time in my room as the TV was old and the refrigerator was empty even though they say it is stocked with water, sodas and beer everyday. The A/C in my room was either on or off and was not able to adjust it. So through out the night I had to get up to either turn it on or off depending on the temperature of the room.

Room Tip: If you speak Spanish you will have no problems. If you like swim up bar get a garden room. Beach...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

I purchased a time share at the Hamaca resort. Approximately 8yrs ago( for my. Daughter's 16 yrs birthday) last year, I did an upgrade to the "presidential suites" (ha) what a ripoff!!!!! Was promised premium drinks in my room, daily turn down service, and a host of amenities! All of this for...... Get this $15000.00 ok! (Yeah I got suckered) well......I came to D.R. For the first time (since my upgrade) and.......got a room with no amenities, and have had to fight for everything that I'm entitled to!!!!!!!! My only saving grace was an awesome young lady that works at the vacation desk by the name Alexandra Castro, kudos to her! She went above and beyond to accommodate us (3 of us , 2 bedroom suite) maintenance and all inclusive $1900(in addition to our mortgage!) soooo disappointed! Wish I could cancel my contract!!!! What I was shown and what I got was totally different!! Don't buy!!!!!!

Stayed August 2013

Been to Be Live Hamaca Garden? Share your experiences!