“Wonderdful Time!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Don Juan Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Don Juan Beach Resort to your Saves list
Don Juan Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Abraham Nunez St, P.O. Box 1348 | Boca Chica Beach, Boca Chica, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #7 of 16 hotels in Boca Chica
New York
“Wonderdful Time!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I love Republic Dominica... Been all over the island and had an Outstanding time at the Don Juan, Boca Chica!!! The staff were wonderfully pleasent and willing to help, My suite was Nicely cleaned and straighten'd Up everyday. A variety of delicious foods and fruits to eat everyday plus Entertainment provided by the staff and guests!!!
My only complaint is reading these DUMB reviews by close minded people.. If you want Top Notch service then go to a Top Notch Hotel... Nothing Perfect. You're in there country, so do as the Romans do!!!

I'll be back Don Juan!!!

Room Tip: Every room is a Good room.. You're on Vacation!!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

338 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Polish first
Heredia, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We spent a short time in Boca Chica, and we decided to play it up a bit from our usual budget-concious residence policy. We were given a regular twin room. It was very clean and very, very comfortable. It is on the quiet edge of the beach so we were'nt harrassed so much by hawkers, unles we walk deeper into town.

The dinner was fine, but I thought I should be getting more variety basing from how much we paid. Not much meat in the buffet. well, there was only chicken as the meat choice.

We had it all-inclusive, so we had their delicious ice-cold barely alcoholic drink, that seemed to be more of a sherbet. But it is great. There's free pizza, and hotdogs all u can for midnight snack. They also have a show which is actually very good and entertaining!

The beach is beautiful, and that is where our focus was.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Warren, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

While we had an overall good vacation, I was very upset to wake up with bites on my legs the first morning. When I got home I found out they were from bed bugs. The staff's personalities varied hugely. Some staff were exceptionally fun and friendly however others were very pushy about trying to get my friend and myself to leave the resort area with them or to kiss them which was very disturbing. There are tons of people on the beach who persistently try to sell you every and anything but the water is honestly just perfect. While DR is a beautiful place to visit, I would not stay at this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: All of the captain's suites overlook the water.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

I've been to the DR 15-18 times and all over the island. We stayed here for a week mid-April after Easter. I would say it is not for the fancy traveler and that, while it lacks some things, it has everything and more to have a relaxing, fun filled stay. Comfortable, safe and clean...I had no major complaints and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Our check-in started badly as there was nobody to help us with baggage but that wasn't a big deal for me, it just wasn't normal because it also implied there was no security at the front gate. However, it turns out that the place is very calm and seems extremely safe and they don't really need a gate keeper like most places have. Any who....the check-in after that was fast and efficient and someone helped me with the bags to the room.

The room had some dated furniture and the bathroom was stark compared to some of the fancy resorts but the room was large, very clean and comfortable. Better yet, was that it look right out on the beach was very nice. The water is a calm, tidal pool and I have stayed at the far end of it before and never thought much of it, but down at this end it is very nice and there is a little island you can boat to. We had a fridge and the standard in the DR now seems to be extremely cheap about what they put in it but we were never far from a restaurant or bar so it didn't matter. This room is part of Captain's Club which I would recommend from what I have read.

Pools are small but well kept with both sun and shade and lot of chairs. Very close to the bar although there's no pool bar, it also close to the restaurant and very close to the beach so you can go back and forth. They play music at the pool and there is some activities in the late afternoon but mostly it is very relaxing and don't look for action. The beach is nice with trees for shade if need be and very nice water to wade out to, as well as boats and things that can be rented. The hawkers are annoying or kind of good people watching depending on your general mood of the day or outlook on life but there is a lot of them. They did offer decent deals and it wasn't all crap so I didn't mind. There is a bar in the marina that was very relaxing..."sitting by the dock of the bay"....like....lazy, drinkin' in the mid-day. There was a activities by animacion on the beach, lots of chairs, massage by outside people if you wanted one.

Restaurants were decent but not great. I never went hungry and a couple of very enjoyable dinners. I would say the house wine was horrible which was not a shocker in the DR but its cheap to buy wine. The staff were very accommodating, we met some nice people to dine with and the dinners were quaint and enjoyable. There are only two restaurants here and some nights you have only one to choose from which I thought was a drag when I arrived but it's nice because everyone was together and you could get to know people. As well the show was on the terrace in front of the restaurant so it was well attended. Mostly it was nice not to have to book or worry about a reservation and such, we just showed up - which I'm told was party because we had "Captain's Club". Breakfast got boring and lacked variety but there was always fresh coffee and food. Could use more types of juice in my opinion and more fruit given the DR produces so much of it. Lunch was always the same but very edible. Best part was the pizza bar in the afternoon. If I had one too many rum's it was nice to go for some pizza around 3 or 4 pm.

Bars were decent but not fantastic. The staff were nice and responsive but selection was limited and often didn't have the type of rum I wanted or the mix, or a lime, etc etc. Still no major complaints there as the staff made up for lack of choice. Ohhhhh no Presidente....malo! but you can buy them right next door.

Night life was good here. The shows weren't great but they were campy and fun and lots of guests participated and danced which made it more fun. The animation crew was fantastic! Personable, funny and remembered your name and such. The disco which is not well attended in the DR at most resorts was full some nights and lots of people danced.

The best part of the resort (after the staff) is the location. I have been to Boca Chica several times and always found it tacky and blah, but i never took the time to go to the far end of the beach and the town. It is quiet and tranquil during the day, the beach has lots of bars and things to do and it was quite pretty at the far end. The people, including the vendors where very nice. We spent a few hours walking in the town site and people watching in the town square. Better yet it is very close to Santo Domingo which is a great city to check out shopping and historical sites.

All-in-all I was booked this because it was cheap. While I was prepared to be disappointed Don Juan it was a pleasant surprise. We met people from all over the world, the staff treated us like family and it was extremely relaxing and yet fun. In the end it was great value and I wouldn't hesitate or recommend it to someone looking for a value orientated (3.5 star) vacation. No it is not five star, and you get what you paid for, but I feel like a got a great deal and even somewhat guilty at just over $100 per night for two people all-inclusive is very affordable. Take care, and enjoy!!

Room Tip: Captain's Club is like VIP service here, the rooms over look that beach and have a great balcony...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

The people at Don Juan really want to tell you no. "No your kids can't play in the pool even if they know how to swim", "No you can't get a new towel until 3", no, no, no but they did say yes to practicing their dance and playing this annoying Portugese song over and over. The food is alright, and excellent if you like processed meat. The beach is safe with no waves. If you swim out to the mangroves be ready to see a lot of garbage stuck in them. Dam it's depressing. It is time to get rid of styrophone and a new plastic cup everytime someone gets a drink! It ends up polluting their beaches and mangroves, and burning it really isn't the best. I had a blast renting a moped and cruising all around. The food in the town is better than Don Juans but it isn't fee. Boca Chica is the sex capital of DR so if you like prostitution you'll love Boca Chica, although there are a lot of honest nice people too. It is a popular spot for Dominican's to vacation so the weekends get way wilder than the weekdays. I wouldn't go again although I had a decent time in the Dominican.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Newark, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

I have nothing bad to say about Don Jon or the employees! The rooms were clean and not Americanized. I spent most of my time in the town or off the resort so I can't say much about the actives the hotel offered. However, the dinner was great. Definitely worth the money but go beyond the beaches. The venders on the strip near the beach are very accommodating. The night life in Boca Chica creates wonderful memories.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Baltimore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

The best thing about the Don Juan was its inexpensive cost. The worst thing: just about everything else. We recently returned from the resort, with inflamed mosquito bites and diarrhea, and agreed that the Don Juan was living proof that "You get what you pay for." In this case, we probably got less than we paid for since the web site advertised a Kids Club, which has a building but is not open; sail boating, but the boats have been broken for years; snorkeling gear, which is not available. The staff was puzzled when we asked about the kids' disco that was listed on the activity board by the pool - they had never heard of such a thing and certainly were not going to have a dance party for the children! We removed the kids disco sign from the activities board for the benefit of other families. We did like the Spanish lessons given under a tree by the pool. And you will need to have some Spanish to communicate with most of the staff at the Don Juan. If you do decide to go, here are some items to be sure to take: bug repellant & anti-itch cream, because the little mosquitoes there come out at night and have a nasty bite; shampoo because the liquid soap provided in the shower should be used to wash dishes not hair; a hair dryer; ear plugs to shut out the loud music blasting all afternoon at the pool; water shoes so your feet are not cut by the plastic and glass on the beach; and a willingness to pitch in to make sure your kids have a great vacation by cleaning out the leaves and other debris from the shallow pool, paying for a paddle boat to take them out in the bay, and hunting up silver ware at dinner time. But probably the best course of action you could take is not to go to the Don Juan Resort!

Room Tip: The first room we had smelled terribly, but the staff was willing to move us the next day at our req...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Don Juan Beach Resort? Share your experiences!