“Fur coat and no knickers. Most miserable, rude staff I have ever come across. £10.20 for 1 alcoholic drink + 1 soft drink.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Horwood House

You added Horwood House to your Saves list
Horwood House
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Mursley Rd, Little Horwood MK17 0PH, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Little Horwood
Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

The outside of the old part of the hotel is beautiful, as are parts of the grounds. But, as is usual for a Principal Hayley hotel, that's where the beauty ends...

The rooms are basic but clean - think Premier Inn. The part of the hotel that the rooms are in is a series of 70s built low rise, dead end corridors - with shabby carpets and ripped wallpaper.

The staff are AWFUL - the check in was okay but only okay. Trying to leave my room key when going out for the evening resulted in much sighing and tutting from the lady on duty. And trying to get it back from the night porter was like trying to get him to give me his first born! Took him in excess of 10 minutes to get to reception and was rude and grumpy when he did. Not once did I feel ANY member of staff actually WANTED to do something for me. The manager should be asking her/himself some questions about what they're doing to have such a demotivated, non customer-focussed team...

All common areas (bar, restaurant, conference rooms) are cold.

Dinner in the bar was overpriced, took forever to order and was cold when it arrived. Lunch in the restaurant was okay and breakfast in the restaurant okay (although again, no order to things, ages to get tea/coffee, tables not cleared and staff looking stressed and grumpy).

If you get a great rate (£40 - £60) for B&B and you need to stay in that specific area then you'd probably not be disappointed. However, there are MUCH better hotels in MK and I shall not return.

• Stayed December 2012
HotelManagerEast, General Manager at Horwood House, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you for your feedback, I am disappointed that your experience did not meet your expectations, however we welcome all feedback as it is through constructive criticism that we are able to monitor and maintain standards within the hotel.
We will retrain our reception staff with regard to storing keys, in truth as they are credit card sized it is unusual for guests to leave their keys with us.
I am a little surprised that you found our Tempus menu expensive as 3 courses for £25 compares well locally, even beating some local pubs.
With regard to temperature it would be helpful to understand when you stayed as we had a problem with our heating in the main bar/lounge, however this was resolved within 12 hours.
Once again thank you for your comprehensive feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
apbush4
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

First room we was given was to small, no remote for tv. Asked to be moved next room was bigger.
TV Remote didn't work and the hot water only trickled out, took forever to run a bath. No room service in such a large hotel is quite unbelievable. Drinks very expensive. Long walk to find the room. Very bland interior compared to the outside. Breakfast good selection but some items had run out. Waited a while for coffee to arrive.

Room Tip: Check room before you unpack.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
HotelManagerEast, General Manager at Horwood House, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that you were given the opportunity to move rooms and that it was more satisfactory for your needs. I would like to apologise that the bedroom check did not pick up the missing remote control but we have duty managers and porters available day and night who would have been available to help rectify the remote control matter.
Due to the large size of the hotel, we have made the decision not to offer room service as we can be extremely busy catering for up to 200 covers in our restaurant at one time.
We do regularly check our bar prices against both competitor hotels and pubs and are within the middle of this band. However we will of course take your feedback into consideration on our next pricing review

Travelers are raving about these Little Horwood hotels

edinburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights for a wedding. Looks great when you arrive but its a real rabbit warren. We are disabled and were with our able bodied daughters. Told we didn't need a lift to get to room which was as far as it was possible to be down umpteen small flights of stairs. Found out later we could have driven to the room round the side of hotel. We were offered a different room later by a manager who saw us struggling but i had unpacked! Once we found our way using the lifts it wasn't too bad.
The main reception rooms including the bar were freezing and although there was a group of around 20 of if staying we were all in different parts of the hotel even though the hotel was nearly empty!
Room normal but no fridge, Shower curtain fell off wall when i was having a shower and we couldn't turn the heating off. It was very cold but it was too warm with heater on all night. i asked 3 times for it to be looked at but it wasn't.
Breakfast was Ok and i will review the restaurant separately. Food at wedding was disappointing and prices at bar outrageous.
Over all slightly disappointing. However if you get a good deal this is a reasonable hotel to visit Milton keynes from and their are nice little villages nearby. Definitely not suitable if you have severe mobility problems

Room Tip: Ask for one near reception
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
HotelManagerEast, General Manager at Horwood House, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. It is rare that we do not make a return response, however, we do need please to speak to you to understand how we were not aware of your specific needs. Please contact me directly at the hotel.
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I was involved in a training event and this was my first visit to this hotel. The approach up a long drive is very attractive - but what a strange hotel this is! The original old house is beautiful but it has a series of ugly extensions and it rather labyrinthine - you need to leave a trail of breadcrumbs to find your way round (as several of my fellow guests commented to me!). It feels more like a training centre than a country house hotel - if I had booked the hotel for a special occasion I would have been rather disappointed. The welcome at reception was ok - not overly warm but not unfriendly either. I was surprised to see people at reception watch me through a window struggle across the forecourt with a wonky case, bag and briefcase but not open the door for me to help me come in. I liked my room (255) - it was quite small but well appointed with a comfortable bed and small study area with desk and chair adjacent to the bathroom. However, I was less happy when I realised how poor the soundproofing was to the corridor - a company was having their Christmas night out and I was awoken by drunken revellers at 12.30, 1.10, 1.50, 2.10, 2.30, 2.50 and 3.30 - although i appreciate that It's not the hotel's fault that these guests behaved so thoughtlessly. The conference facilities team were excellent - responsive, polite and helpful. There was a flashing strip light in the room I was using (Eyre) which I reported at breakfast and was fixed before I started my morning session. The restaurant staff were also very good - friendly and helpful and the food was delicious - a wide choice, fresh and tasty and well presented. The main lounge bar is an attractive space and good quality teas and coffees are always available so you don't need to fix a break time which is very useful. So this is NOT the place for a romantic weekend I would say - but good for a corporate event (like training) if you don't need anywhere too 'swanky' and want good value for money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
HotelManagerEast, General Manager at Horwood House, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted that our conference team were responsive, polite and helpful and I shall pass on your feedback so that they can appreciate how their hardwork pays off. I am also delighted with your positive feedback of our restaurant and so glad that you enjoyed the food and beverages available to you. I am also pleased that your room was comfortable and suited the purpose of your visit.
I am, however, disappointed that your initial welcome did not meet your expectations and welcome your feedback, so that I can ensure our front of house staff are given the correct support and training to ensure that our guests are welcomed in a warm and friendly manner.
Kent
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

As I speak I am in my hotel room steaming from a run in with a very rude member of staff. I am here for a business meeting and Xmas party. The rooms and beds are minuscule unless you complain and then get moved to a slightly larger room with no hot water when you have to complain again and find in your third room a live bug on your bed!! One round of 6 drinks cost £33 and I have just been charged £10 for a salad only after I complained that it was going to cost me £20!!
Poor quality venue, rude staff and very overpriced. Do not consider this hotel for anything and remember looks can be deceiving .

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback, however I am disappointed that your stay did not meet all your expectations. We understand that you were accompanying a guest at the NHBC meeting.
Our lunch buffet in our Tempus restaurant is charged at £20 per head, this charge covers a soup, salad and hot main meal (inc vegetarian choice) and dessert buffet and is enjoyed by all of our guests that are here for lunch. As the service is a buffet, it is charged as a 2 course meal as we cannot control what guests choose.
Lewes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

This is being written from Horwood House, where I have been staying overnight to contribute to a training course. Fom the moment I arrived, staff could not be more pleasant and helpful. The conference facilities are superb and my room is modern, spotlessly clean and very comfortable. The food is excellent - we had an Indian buffet this evening which was quite oustanding. I don't recognise the place from the poor reviews - perhaps I have just been lucky, but I would not hesitate to recommend!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback, I am delighted that your stay here at Horwood House was so positive. Our team work very hard to ensure that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay with us and I shall pass on your feedback to everyone, so that they can appreciate how their hard work is paying off.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

Good facilities for running residential training courses in an olde-worldly country house. In keeping with this theme, rooms are basic and more functional than luxurious. There is a good communal bar area for groups to take coffee and biscuits or have break-out sessions. For a 3 day stay it was a nice choice of venue, it's miles from anywhere so a longer stay may bring on a bout of cabin fever though. Good food in the restaurant, warning; you're sure to leave a few pounds heavier!

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
HotelManagerEast, General Manager at Horwood House, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted that our conference facilities met your expectations and you enjoyed your stay and dining experience, apologies for the extra pounds!

Been to Horwood House? Share your experiences!