“Fabulous setting but.........” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Little Horwood
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Fabulous setting but.........”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Beautiful location spoiled by cramped room, a toilet that didn`t flush and staff with a very poor attitude to their guests. Needed a map to find the room. Breakfast was acceptable, but this was the only redeeming feature.

Room Tip: Book the local Travel Lodge
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
HotelManagerEast, General Manager at Horwood House, responded to this review, December 4, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to reflect on your stay, I am disappointed of course that we did not meet your expectations. I would very much value the opportunity to understand the issues you experienced with my team, as this feedback is very much not the norm and I need to address any feedback you can shared with me

Thank you in advance, please do contact me at the Hotel

Lucy Talbot

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Storrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

We stayed here recently (November 2011) with friends (another couple) for 2 nights. Although both rooms were booked at the same time we were in room 220 our friends in 111. The problem being that this is a hotel for functions - 2 weddings and a graduation party on the Saturday we were there. Check, check and check again that the room you are allocated is NOTamongst the rooms for one of these functions. Why - because the (room) singage is awful. As a result, we went to bed at midnight and for the next 3 hours at 10 minute intervals had "happy" people passing and shouting out "Any idea where our room is"? The rooms are small but adequate. In compensation all staff were excellent - the best we have experience for many a year. The dining menu looked boring but in reality was sufficent in choice and the food excellent.
I had complained about our first night but the complaint had not been communicated to management. However on checking out the first night cost was eliminated. So I summerise/repeat - Excellent service, good food, plenty of facilities, lovely setting. Just double check your room allocation and you will be fine.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Luton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

Everything about our stay was brilliant; the swimming pool, sauna, jacuzzi, the hotel staff, the grounds, the bedroom, bathroom, the dinner and the breakfast. Drinks were a bit pricey but we had a ball!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
HotelManagerEast, General Manager at Horwood House, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to feedback, especially when it is all so positive, I will share your feedback with the team who will be delighted. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

Last night, I lay awake in Horwood House, planning the scathing review I was going to post on Tripadviser. We were overnighting on a trip to Bletchley Park and arrived in the middle of a wedding. No problem there, except that later most of the younger guests seemed to be in our block of rooms and showed no thought for anyone else who might be staying there, and wanting to get some sleep. Doors banged, people screamed and shouted, and the chaos went on until gone 3 o'clock in the morning. I continued to lie awake, waiting for the next episode to start, and consequently got up early in the morning exhausted and stressed. So much for the relaxing atmosphere as advertised on the hotel's website.
However, when my partner complained to reception, the staff were most understanding and accommodating, and we received good compensation for the awful night we had experienced. We couldn't fault the service we received both in the bar in the evening, where the young lady on duty served us with a light snack which wasn't part of the bar's facilities, or at breakfast when there were so many staff waiting for the morning rush, that our every need was attended to promptly. The main hotel building is lovely, and in a beautiful setting. It seems to me that it would take only a little imagination and organisation to designate one block of rooms (the building is quirky and ideally suited to this) as a 'quiet zone'. This could be sited as far away from all other rooms as possible, so that late night revellers do not have to pass through it on the way to their rooms. Anyone having to stay in that quiet zone because all other rooms are full could have it made clear to them that it IS a quiet zone, and that consideration is both appreciated - and expected. I can never understand why so many hotel doors have to be so 'loud' either. Many continental hotels get round the corridor problem by having a double entrance to the rooms. Something is certainly needed here.
Last night, I felt that I never wanted to set eyes on the place again, but after the treatment we received in the morning, I would certainly consider another stay if the above idea was implemented.

Room Tip: Ask if there is a function on when you are staying, and request a room as far away from the party...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
HotelManagerEast, General Manager at Horwood House, responded to this review, November 15, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write such a balanced review, I am delighted that our team managed to assure you that we really hate it when things are not right! We have just put the finishing touches to a new booking process to better manage group bookings to avoid the discomfort caused by less considerate guests. I hope to welcome you back to Horwood House very soon

Kind regards

Aylesbury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

I visited Horwood House for a corporate team event this week and stayed for one night only. I discovered after leaving that I had left my mobile phone in my room. I immediately rang the hotel and they found the phone and returned it to my by recorded delivery the following day. I would like to commend the Hotel staff for their excellent customer service - particularly Sarnae who went that extra distance to ensure that I got my mobile returned to me as soon as possible without the least fuss. Many thanks to Horwood House. The stay overall was memorable and all of the staff were very attentive and looked after us very well.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
HotelManagerEast, General Manager at Horwood House, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
Thank you so much for your positive feedback, I am delighted that a good event here was followed up by great customer care! We hope to welcome you back very soon

Kidn regards

Sidmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

We booked last minute on laterooms which had some good reviews for the Horwood house, if we had looked on here we might not have booked and missed probably the most comfy bed we have ever slept in in a hotel..We arrived as usual late at night after a long day on the road, the receptionist was friendly and efficient...its true as people have said in their reviews the rooms are a long way from reception through corridor after corridor which would really benefit from some clear signs with room numbers..Our room 430 was a lovely size with as I said such a comfortable bed.. The en-suite was clean and had a really good shower in it.. We didnt have breakfast on this occasion as we were pushed for time in the morning but as we passed the dining roon it was full and it looked lovely.. We enjoyed our stay and it definately met all our needs and we would most certainly book again when in the area and hopefully next time get a chance to explore the beautiful grounds...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
HotelManagerEast, General Manager at Horwood House, responded to this review, November 6, 2011
Thank you so much for your positive feedback, I will share this with our team as this keeps them motivated and focussed on guest satisfaction. Kind regards

Essex, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed here this weekend. So glad I ignored the comments on here. Firstly, yes there are over 500 rooms, not in a tower block, but spread over 2 floors, so yes there can be a walk to the rooms at the far end of the hotel. Hotel is clean, modern and our room had toiletries, hairdryer, iron etc. Yes the rooms are smallish, but more than adequate and of a high quality. The hotel food was 5*. Great taste, good service. Breakfast buffet was constantly being refreshed with more food. The drinks are pricey. A large wine and a pint of magners (in 2 small bottles) was £15. The swimming pool was clean and the spa was hot! Shame it only had 2 jets working, but you can see its well maintained and the water is clean. The changing rooms were very clean. The lounge has free tea/coffee/hot chocolate available 24/7.
While we were there an A list celebrity was also there. Won't name him as he was such a nice guy, there with his family, and he uses this hotel a lot. But if the hotel was as bad as some of these reviews say - would he stay there?? interestingly tonight (31/10/11) on channel 4 is a programme about trip advisor, and how people write bad reviews on here, on purpose, quite often without even visiting the place. BE WARNED!!

Room Tip: Ask if you would like a quiet room, or larger room.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your positive feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and particularly that you enjoyed our food. We have invested in the Tempus bar and restaurant concept and find that most guests really enjoy the modern, quality menu. I look forward to welcoming you back very soon

Kind regards

Lucy Talbot

Been to Horwood House? Share your experiences!