“Definitely not a tourist restaurant, and that makes it great!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 16 Restaurants in Pontorson
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Hotel Restaurant 2 stars situated at Pontorson on the road Mont Saint Michel - Saint-Malo.Start of the green lane to the Mont-Saint-Michel in front of the hotel.All rooms with showers, toilet, flat TV (French and English Channels), Free wireless access - 39 to 47 euro for two people.Half-board from 86 to 99 euro for two people (43 to 50 per people)Traditional cooking restaurant. Menus from 9.90 to 35 euro, children menu and bill of fare.Regional specialities as "pre-sale" lamb chops, mussels and oysters of Mont Saint Michel bay.
Houston, Texas
“Definitely not a tourist restaurant, and that makes it great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

The Tour Brette is actually a pension (small hotel) and restaurant, which means pretty similar to a country pub in the UK.

We had a hire car and desired to avoid any of the tourist trap restaurants near le Mont St Michel. I'd booked a hotel near MSM, and after walking through Pontorson, we'd wished we waited and stayed in this close village (about 9 km or less.) Rooms were half the price here as opposed to outside MSM gates.

We were one of the first at 7 PM when it opened, and it filled up pretty quickly. There was a small a la carte menu and the normal menus (about 5, increasing in price with options with up to 3 courses.) I ordered a 26euro menu which had a starter, entree, cheese course then dessert. My husband ordered the 16euro menu with everything but the cheese course and his lacked any seafood options.

The server was a casually dressed man - I presumed the owner? No English in the restaurant, by the way. My starter was mixed seafood with garlic. It arrived as a combo of clams and mussels, steamed with garlic, oil and butter drizzled. It came on an escargot dish the size of a small American pizza. Heavenly. I LICKED the shells, this is how good, fresh and flavorful this was. After this starter, I didn't want anything else! We both ordered a meat entree with "Sauce Normandasie" - which turns out to be a heavy, cream, stroganoff-type sauce with mushrooms. And each a platter of french fries. It was way too heavy and way too huge. Each meat portion had to be 400 grams.

I was stuffed. When server came over, we were able to communicate that I could not eat more. Neither could my husband. Server brought my husband a type of sorbet with Calvados. So he ate it. We went to pay the bill, and we protested being charged for my whole 'menu' when I could not take the dessert, and asked for it to be a la carte. He said that NO, we asked for the menu, and he will charge the menu.

Sheesh. He offered us coffees, which we didn't want, so I accepted dessert of chocolate mousse. Unfortunately, I think it was made from the powder packet, and it was awful.

Stick with the seafood or settle in for a calorie laden heavy meal (which actually a lot of folks ordered and cleaned off the plates!)

I'm finding even in Paris, the portions are too much to handle with the 'menu' options. And I'm an American, born and bred to believe volume is value. (Sigh.)

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere