“Pleasant surroundings” 4 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Market Place, Spalding PE11 1SU, England   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Spalding
“Pleasant surroundings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

Great little hotel value for money, and bang in the middle of town!

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

Town centre location,stayed on Friday night. Market traders started setting up at 3.30 am which made sleeping a challenge. Staff friendly and helpful, dealt with fighting locals effectively!

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Grantham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

We stayed here for one night following a wedding party at a local restaurant. We needed accommodation in the town centre that was not too expensive as we had to pay for two rooms. As it was a last minute decision there aws not much choice so we chose the Red Lion. The staff were extremely helpful and pleasant. Rooms were clean and comfortable although a little dated but bearing in mind the price we paid we were pleasantly surprised. Breakfast was just £4 each and was cooked fresh and was of excellent quality - no cheap sausages and skinny rashers of bacon here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Booked this hotel for the Flower Parade week end, it was right on the parade route and we were lucky enough to have a room at the front. Our room was very big and even though the bed was huge was still has masses of space, everything we needed was in the room and my other half was very pleased to find shoe shine wipes in with the complimentary toiletries, I was even more pleased to find shower caps, not many places do either these days. Levels of cleanliness were good and the bed was comfortable. We ate in the Hotel's Indian Restaurant and the food and service were very good. The Hotel is right in the centre of Spalding so you can walk easily to everywhere, its not a big town but has a great choice of shops, cafe's etc. The staff here are the greatest, very friendly, happy to have a conversation if you want one and nothing is too much trouble. We couldn't work out how to get water out of the shower and someone came very quickly to show us, new thermostatic mixer taps have been installed and you have to press down on the silver ring behind the taps to make the shower work, no amount of twiddling taps will help. We asked for someone to speak with some very noisy people next door one night and this was dealt with speedily and effectively. There could be disruption from street noise over a week end as its a town centre location and passing traffic and people walking to and from late night pubs are inevitable. The market didn't run on Parade day so no early wake up call from the street below and also the water taxi was not running on that day, we're not sure why which was a shame as we'd been planning on using it to get to the static flower show site. All in all a great week end and we would most certainly return to this hotel.

Room Tip: No lift and no ground floor rooms. Rooms at front best for watching Flower Parade, speaking with ot...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

Staying at the Red Lion was the Ultimate English Pub/hotel Experience. The staff could not have been friendlier, a young man named Yans, was very very accommodating. I was a little nervous about our staying on a Monday night due to the Market setting up for Tuesday Morning. We mentioned this to the young man and he put us in a room that was in the back of the hotel. We did not hear a thing during the early hours. The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. I agree with the other posts about the place being dated. The lady that cooked out breakfast was very very nice. I do feel that breakfast should have been included in the booking price of £59.00 pounds however and not charged extra. I think if breakfast had been included i would have given this review a four star.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Leeds, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

The room I stayed in was clean and not smelly (contrary to other reviews). It was a little tired and could do with some updating. Staff were really friendly as were the locals. Restaurant was fabulous! Curry house - and the curry was amazing. I stayed as a single female on business - felt safe.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

I have not taken the assignation of the title of this report lightly.

I stayed here on business for one night only. On arrival I felt as if I had walked onto the set of "The League of Gentleman", (the comedy series!) The hotel reception is a small wooden hole set off from the hotel bar that doubles up as the local pub!

I received my electronic key and made my way up to my first floor room. I opened the door and was met by one of the worst smells I have ever encountered. The room selt as if an old incontinent person had lived in there for the past fortnight! I fully expected to find a huge curled up log lodged in the toilet bowl with a member of staff trying to break it up with a large wooden baton. The smell was simply awful. I checked throughout the room and the carpeted toilet area but all was clear. No one else was in there, it simply stunk!

I was at work until late and immediately left work for a meal. By the time I arrived back into the hotel it was quite late. The hotel bar closed at midnight.

I didn't sllep badly. However, light sleepers may be bothered by the sounf of a generator humming outside.

The small shower cubicle in the room contained a rerasonable shower. Certainly I have had worse in far more expensive hotels.

The breakfast was first class. A freshly cooked full Englis breakfast with coffee and warm toast.

I checked out at 10am and sat to await my transport. I immediately became aware that some elderly locals were already tucking into the warm bitter on offer.

Perhaps they were resiodents. If so, consuming warm beer at 10am could explain the deep richnees of the foul stench that welcomed me on my arrival, was present during my stay and will live with me forever more!

Let's be honest, this is not a hotel. It is a room above a pub. It is inexpensive and as with most things in life, you get what you pay for!

If you need to be in Spalding then this might be worth looking at. The breakfast is great. If you do decide to go I would offer one word of advice. In addition to a pair of earplugs, consider packing a good quality nose plug!

Interesting fact.... Jimmy Hendrix stayed here in the 1960s.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Nijohwilk, Owner at The Red Lion Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
My sincere apologies to the Gentleman who was greeted with an unfortunate smell in his room and I am astonished that Reception did not immediately move him to another room and inform me of the problem, an unacceptable fall down in service on our part. I can only assure himand others, judging by previous reviews, that fortunately it is not a regular occurance.
I accept that the rooms are ready for updating but sadly, due to the present economic climate, we have not been able to start the refurbishment, but hope that is reflected in what we charge.
I am pleased the Gentleman enjoyed his breakfast and accepts the rooms are reasonably priced and assure him that we will try to do better.

Been to The Red Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!