“Afternoon Tea” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wynyard Hall

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Billingham
Wynyard Hall
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Wynyard Hall Hotel | Tees Valley, Billingham TS22 5NF, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Billingham
Durham, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

If you are looking for a treat for an anniversary or birthday I can recommend Wynyard Hall for afternoon tea, sandwiches / scones clotted cream and strawberry preserve /and a selection of cakes, we sat at a table in the window overlooking the lake. we were given a voucher from a friend for our anniversary. Excellent idea as a present for those who you don't know what to buy them.

Room Tip: Ask for a window table overlooking the lake
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Wynyard_Hall_Hotel, General Manager at Wynyard Hall, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear 200Peter200

Thank you for writing a review of your recent visit to the Hall for Afternoon Tea

We were delighted to read of your fantastic experience and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

356 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
London, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Pros:

1. Beautiful building and the hotel room itself was lovely with very high ceilings.
2. The hotel itself was all very clean and maintained to a high standard.
3. The food was very tasty too – breakfast, lunch and dinner were all a high standard

Cons:

1.The service did not live up to the building. On one occasion I was spoken to very rudely by a waiter and the service was also at times exceedingly slow. I waited about 20 minutes to be given a menu for a simple sandwich and then the sandwich took over 50 minutes to arrive. We also pre-ordered a meal for a certain time for our baby and the chef forgot to prepare the meal so we were served 15 minutes later than we had planned.

2. The beds were awful. So soft I could feel the springs. They felt like they had not been replaced in 20 years. They were not befitting of a hotel that costs this much.

3.The spa too was disappointing. The Jacuzzi is lovely but the rest of it is fairly unimpressive and small. The sauna was so cool I was actually chilly sitting in it. This may have something to do with the fact it has a door leading directly to the outside and it was snowing outside and so as soon as one person walks out, a gust of freezing air blows in and the temperature plummets. I found this a rather curious design for a sauna. Perhaps it is fine in the summer. The spa is probably decent value for £10 (which is what I paid) as the outdoor Jacuzzi itself is worth that but if I paid any more I would feel a little ripped off.

4. I had pretty much no phone service (on EE) for the duration of my stay and patchy hotel Wifi.

With a building this magnificent, this hotel has the potential to be one of the best in the North. Unfortunately, it just falls short of those heights in quite a few aspects.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Radgoon,

It is obviously disappointing to read of a negative experience and your comments have been taken on board

I have contacted you directly to understand some of your comments in greater detail so I can improve guest experience for others

Hopefully when you return you will experience a visit at the level of the bulk of visitors to the Hall who have left a review on this site

North East
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My wife and I dined in the Wellington Restaurant which has recently gained three AA Rosettes. The service from start to finish was excellent and the food was outstanding, especially the chocolate orange soufflé. Definitely recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Matt H

I was delighted to read you enjoyed your meal in the 3AA Rosette Wellington Restaurant

I am yet to try the Orange Souffle but following your review I will make sure that I do try it soon

We look forward to welcoming you back soon

North Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

A truly peaceful place in the heart of Teesside. Together with my wife and sister we took two elderly aunts to the hotel for afternoon tea on Saturday 9th March for there birthday (day before mothers day). I know the area very well having lived there for over 40 years and it hard to image such a peaceful place on the outskirts of an large urban area.The long drive up to the hotel through the parkland starts to relax you before you arrive.Even though the hotel was busy a wedding was being photographed in the main entrance hall it did not seem crowded. We were met at the resturant by a pleasant member of staff and shown to our table. The room was light and airy and full of character again not overcrowded. We had a birthday cake for the aunts which the staff took and looked after. The afternoon tea was well presented and delicious there was more than enough for the five of us. Throught out the meal the staff were atentive without being overly so and on its conclusion brought in the cake with candles lit. The two aunts had a great time and were made to feel very special.

Dear Lynneb0b

I was delighted to read that you had a lovely visit to the Hall and that your 2 aunts enjoyed themselves; it is always pleasing to read reviews complimenting the staff as they work so hard to ensure people enjoy their visit

We look forward to seeing you all back at Wynyard Hall soon

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We arrived and the next 10mins is a blur so much to take in, the beauty inside, the entry from reception through the Statue Gallery is just this one big huge wow and wow over and over again.
Check in was super fast, lovely girl at front reception had everything ready and the porter took us from there, to our room. The gentleman that took us to our room, recommended lovely food to us, showed us around and our room were everything was, which was very handy as the room was equipped with every thing, fantastic! The room looked unbelievable, and the power shower well, all I can say is wow again.
We have traveled to many places and stayed in few hotels and the last time we felt this blown away was Mexico. The bed was so comfy it was hard to part from it, to continue our day ahead. Went to library era and got served straight away ;) no waiting, we never waited once through out our stay the service I must point out, is, superb.
We sat at the very first table by the window to your left, the silence and the view, bliss.
Small stroll to the beautiful Spa, Kirsty was so lovely and must I add the best massage to date, thank you Kirsty, after the message I was left feeling even more relaxed and head ache free so that was a bonus. I did return again in the morning to take few photos and once again Kirsty out standing, shown me around the Spa, really lovely, helpful and professional lady.
Evening meal was the prettiest place/room we have ever had a meal, endless tall walls, draped with curtains the size off mountains, gorgeous open fire places and the food, hm the food was all mouth watering, it was definitely display & taste. best pudding, Peanut butter, marshmallow treat. We even asked to be seating by the open fire and this was noted and done, thank you.

After the meal we had stroll around the magnificent Wynyard Hall, one must have a look it is that out standing! The mirror room, look up to catch the beautiful paintings and all the striking chandeliers.
It is rather hard to have 1 favorite room/place/era as the whole Wynyard Hall is magnificently displayed, bursting with beauty at every glance.

Breakfast once again, yum, yum, yum and a table displayed of continental breakfast era and a warm smile from the waitress.

The following day was the pretty wedding fair, capture more stunning photos. The gentleman, Manager of Restaurant era I believe, sadly no name, informed some information of under ground walk, and some spectacular information about Wynyard Hall. Think he realized am a huge fan of old Buildings ;) how I was walking around snapping every opportunity of a beautiful photo.
Highly recommend Wynyard Hall to stay, arrive, site back and relax. After such a perfect stay, we were of course as you can read, sad to leave. 1 Night is a definite no, 2 nights more like a week recommendation. It was perfect from the moment we arrived to the moment we drove off and left the stunning, breathtaking beauty behind. I could not think of more perfect place to be to celebrate our 10 year anniversary together, it sure was special from beginning to end. Thank you to the GM and all the staff for making this one special stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Rachel B

Wow what a great review, thank you for telling other visitors to the site of your fantastic experience at Wynyard Hall

At Wynyard we believe in rewarding staff who are mentioned by name in 5 star reviews and it was great to read that you named some staff

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hall in the very near future

Wimborne, Dorset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Wonderful venue, fantastic food, excellent service.
Really lovely food. Wonderful selection of wines.
If the restaurant is a little on the cold side they will light the enormous fires for you.
Try the cheese board, the waiter knows everything there is to know about every cheese and they were all exactly as he described.
The piano player is a lovely touch.

Dear GBK6

I was delighted to read you enjoyed your visit to the Wellington Restaurant

At 30 cheeses the cheeseboard is impressive and I am glad you enjoyed this touch

We look forward to welcoming you back soon

Billingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

This is the second time we have been for afternoon tea and it is exceptional, beautiful food, exceptional service and stunning surroundings. The price is reasonable, had a look in the Vane Tempest suite, fantastic.

Room Tip: Vane Tempest suite
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Wynyard Hall? Share your experiences!