“Nice stay but beware of noise from function room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Brighton Savoy

You added Brighton Savoy to your Saves list
Brighton Savoy
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   150 Esplanade, Brighton, Bayside, Victoria 3186, Australia   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Brighton
Brisbane
“Nice stay but beware of noise from function room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed one night over new year's eve in a standard queen room. Check in was very friendly and we received a useful little map of the area and explanation of where the shops and restaurants are. They offer free wi-fi, which is also useful, and free self-parking at the hotel's underground car park.

The room was clean and I liked the vintage photos of the hotel from years ago, which gives the place a bit of character.

The hotel is right across the beach and about a 5 minute walk from a street with lots of little shops and restaurants - very charming.

The bathroom could have done with some minor maintenance - some mould on the roof of the bathroom probably due to a lack of ventilation, and the spa bath looked a bit worn but nothing major. Enjoyed the spa bath in the bathroom but felt that they could have provided more amenities - all that was provided was a bar of soap, shampoo and conditioner, no lotion etc and the towels were pretty thin as well and not what I would describe as luxurious.

The room had a good aircon unit in it, as well as a small bar fridge (empty) which you can request to be stocked with minibar items. Also, the hotel has a number of satellite channels on the flat screen tvs in the room, which was good .

Fortunately we attended the new years eve function at the hotel but when we came up to the room before the function had ended, we were astounded by how the noise travelled into the hallway right in front of our room and into the room. The room was right above the function hall, and if we hadn't attended the function we would have been seriously disturbed by the travelling noise. No issue for us though, as fortunately we were at the event, but just be aware of this especially if staying over a weekend when there may be weddings.

Overall I would stay again, clean accommodation in a great location and we enjoyed our stay and found the staff very friendly. We had just checked out of a city hotel on the day that we checked in here, and the city hotel was 5 star, so one thing we did notice was the quality of the bed and linen (like towels and bedding) was really nowhere as comfortable as the city hotel, but this is no dealbreaker. This is a family run hotel so don't expect a chain hotel type experience - we found the hotel very charming.

Room Tip: Request room away from function area if not attending function there.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MichaelELee, Owner at Brighton Savoy, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Happy New Year and thank you for attending the Brighton Savoy’s New Year’s Eve Gala Ball. It was a fabulous night and feedback from many attending said they had a great time.

Because of the popularity of our New Year’s Eve event we relocated the Band to an open area, and yes the music did travel more than usual but it’s just the one night of the year, and im so glad that this observation didn't Impact on your New Years Experience

Our free wi fi is a big hit and guests do appreciate not having to pay for parking too. as we offer two levels of undercover parking and all parking around the hotel is also free.

Im glad you appreciated our location, we love it to, right over the road from Brighton Beach and easy walking to the Baths and the Church Street shops, cinema, restaurants and cafes.

Being a family owned and operated hotel, we do endeavour to provide a unique accommodation experience for our valued guests and am pleased you enjoyed your stay at the Brighton

Maybe we will see you again this New Year’s Eve, get in quick as the Ball booked out early.

Warm regards

Michael Lee
Brighton Savoy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Helsinki
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I spent a total of five nights at this hotel back in October. This was a business trip. Frankly, I was very happy to check out after those five nights.

My customer and I arrived at the hotel at midnight. The check-in process was smooth, and the gentleman at the reception was very friendly and professional. However, I had my first shock when I saw my room. I did not expect a five-star deluxe room, but I certainly did not expect a room that is a pure reminder of the 1980s when it comes to its furniture, bathroom, and interior design either. Also, adjusting the room temperature to the right level was an exercise in frustration. Either the room was too hot or outright cold. The bathroom temperature was always very consistent, i.e., very cold. Overall, I simply wanted to minimize the amount of time that I spent in my room. The room was outright boring and uncomfortable. The poor (very slow) wifi connection did not help either. To be fair, a positive thing was the cleanliness of the room.

The breakfast in the following morning - the floor in the part of the large function room where we had the table was outright dirty, i.e., full of small bread crumbs. The coffee served during the breakfast was based on self-service coffee capsules. I have no problems with the self-service part, but the taste of the coffee was not at the level what I was otherwise able to experience in Melbourne. The breakfast itself was not bad, but nothing heavenly either. Extra thanks to the young Hungarian lady who was working in the function room during my first breakfast - she was very friendly and helpful.

The location of the hotel is excellent in a number of different ways. First, the hotel is located in a very nice and beautiful beach area. The beach is located right across the road. Second, there are a number of relaxed, nice restaurants and cafes within a very reasonable distance from the hotel. However, if you wish to have a hotel that is close to the downtown Melbourne area, then this is not obviously your preferred hotel.

As I said earlier, the wifi at the hotel was dismal. In my room, it was essentially unusable because of its very poor performance. The only place at the hotel where the performance was reasonable was in front of the artificial fireplace in the reception area. I provided feedback on this to the personnel twice, they looked into it, but nothing seemed to help. So, if you are a business traveler, please take this into account.

Finally, the check-out time. Without going into details here, we requested the reception to structure our final invoice a bit differently. This effort took approximately two minutes, and - as the hotel was fairly empty at the time of our stay - there were no other people waiting on the line behind us. The otherwise polite older gentleman at the reception made it perfectly clear that he did not like what we had requested and said that "you should have made this request when you checked in". My late apologies for burdening him with this kind of "unreasonable" request, but this did not exactly come to our mind when checking in at midnight a few days earlier - and after traveling for over 20 hours! Given the amount of effort required here and given the fact that our request did not result in a long waiting line behind us, why even be grumpy about this...?

The Christmas is just a few days behind us, so I am slightly generous here and give this hotel three stars. Frankly, Savoy Brighton did not impress me, and I am highly unlikely to spend any more nights there. The hotel has a number of good qualities, but they must start paying more attention to the details mentioned above.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
MichaelELee, Owner at Brighton Savoy, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear MarkoSHelsinki,

Thank you for your feed back in relation your stay with us in October 2012. I hopo thinks are not too cold for you back in Finland

I am pleased to announce that since your stay with us in October, a room refurbishment has taken place and all our standard guest rooms now sport ultra modern furnishings. photos of the rooms are on our website.

In relation to your wi fi issues, we offer free wireless internet throughout the hotel, we do receive many favourable comments from both our corporate and holiday guests in relation to the speed and connectivity of this free service. We regularly audit our wifi coverage regularly to ensure a strong connection to each guest room. I am pleased you were able to connect by the fireplace in the Lobby.

I take all comments about our staff very seriously as our team consistently offer a helpful and professional approach to our guests. As I understand it, your request for an amendment to your accounts was an unusual one.

As an independent family owned hotel , we at the Brighton Savoy strive to offer the most friendliest and helpful service for our guests. . We endevour to do our best and we constantly look at ways to exceed meet and exceed our guest’s expectations. I apoligise if we havent met yours.

With Best Wishes for the New Year – we sincerely would like to see you again in 2013.
Ballarat, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed overnight. Staff helpful & friendly - rooms adequate clean and neat - bed comfortable, bathroom didnt have an exhaust fan - but room could do with an update. No security parking just drive in underneath the
hotel. Beware when booking if you wish to have a good nights sleep ask for a room away from the function room - loud music if a function is on- We had a room across the back of the hotel ( no sea view) but that was OK
Room rate very expensive ($190) - not value for money !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

CrippAdvisor here... a wheelchair reliant traveller, so please understand this review has a social inclusive perspective.

Wheelchair access is great. Underground carpark, with lots of spaces & elevators (albeit not huge) to get you where you need to go. The wheelchair friendly room is fine, spacious with a good sized bathroom. Also, rarely found, it is in a good spot in the hotel, out the back, nice & quiet & NOT right beside the elevator - a blessing compared to many places I have stayed in.

The area around the hotel is fabulous. Beach right across the road, short walk to some good restaurants & cafes... all in all quite a lovely part of the world.

The staff are outstanding... they always remember me & give me a very warm welcome.

The only down fall is the restaurant, adequate at best but then again I am a foodie.

Value-wise it varies. Ever since their refurbishment the $$$ have gone up somewhat.

Well worth a visit,
the CrippAdvisor

Room Tip: All the rooms are good
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

There's nothing much positive I can honestly say about this hotel so far. The room is a mix of 80 style furniture mixed with some modern, although it is clean. We checked in and got to our room which was just okay but as the function rooms were literally just outside the rooms we asked to get moved to another room further away as we were told that the wedding music would be on until 11.30pm. We got moved to another room, but the free wifi included in the package didn't work "in all parts of the hotel". As they couldn't move us to any other room we went back to our original room. We wasted about an hour of our stay. So now we are in our room, wedding music blasting so loud we can sing along to every song and hear actual guest conversations, the wifi doesn't work properly which is realy annoying. Keep you updated on the rest of the night but I doubt our experience is going to get any better.

• Stayed November 2012

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

i stayed here for one night for business, so free wifi was a plus. the staff were very pleasant and friendly, and the room was roomy and clean with a comfortable bed. Decor is a little dated. i arrived quite late and ate dinner in the hotel which was excellent. i could not say the same for breakfast, which was a very ordinary experience. the hotel is easy walking to Church St, and i should have walked to one of the lovely cafes or restaurants there for breakfast. the hotel is right on the beach, so lovely for an early morning run or walk.

Room Tip: i had room 240 at the back of the hotel and it was blissfully quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

My partner & I live in Brighton and always wanted to try a romantic 'getaway' in our own suburb. Dinner was romantic and very nice - we had the whole restaurant to ourselves and the food was great! We didn't realize this when we arrived but it's clearly an 'events' hotel - think weddings, 40th birthdays, European family reunions, business conferences etc. Thankfully for us there were no events and the hotel was virtually deserted - we literally saw only one other couple in the hotel for the 24 hours or so we spent in the hotel. However this is clearly the exception and not the rule!

However it was very disappointing for a number of reasons:
- Grossly overpriced for what really was just a motel
- Rooms were very dated (mine was, although I hear some are renovated) with uncomfortable beds, old furnishings and stock standard bathrooms
- We had a very early checkout (9am from memory) but I believe this has now changed
- Sauna was OK but otherwise limited facilities (no gym, no pool, no on-site activities)

If you're looking for a short romantic getaway, this place is an absolute no-no. Go into the city or out into the country - you can get a lot more for a lot less. We realized almost instantly that it was just a place for venues and not much more.

Room Tip: Choose a renovated room
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Brighton Savoy? Share your experiences!