“Very average” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Very average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Based on the supposed pedigree of the propriators we were looking forward to a classic French Bistro experience. After making our reservation prior, we arrived at 2.00 pm to be told by an agitated staff member the kitchen closed at 2.45 so could we order our meals ASAP, not a good start.
To summaries, the $20 dollar glass of champagne was flat, the two glasses of wine were average, oh and the food very, very amature ie a construct it yourself nicoise layed out on a board with a portion of tuna 3x3 cm, a meat porporting to be veal and so it went.The Bistros web page requires some seriouse adjustment (currently it appears quite misleading). Relieved to pay & go.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Perth, Australia
“stood up to my expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Being a dedicated lover of everything French, I had been looking forward to an opportunity to venture north of the river and try this fairly new restaurant with its very well known French chef.
The service was perfect and my John Dory was absolutely excellent - baked in paper. The "feeling" of the place as a bistro is also, in my opinion, quite authentic. Only one thing I might not agree with is that they do not have an A la Carte menu. You simply HAVE to pay $45 for a two course meal or $50 for a three course meal - even at lunch time.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“won't disappoint :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

The menu does change all the time but you can't go wrong! We had the lobster starter, the foi gras starter, duck main, the veal wrapped mince n mash main, the creme brûlée and specially requested my fave the floating island. All delicious plus the accompaniments that come between dishes including the pre dinner soup shot, the super soft cheese and dessert rice pudding... for $75 I would challenge anyone to find a better value meal and volume of quality sophisticated food, especially in perth. Must say that the negative review on here either ate somewhere else or must be from a rival restaurant (if there is such a thing). My fifth visit last night and they are consistently very good, will be returning in the future :)

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney, Australia
“Superb generous food, very welcoming.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We had a midweek lunch with our 2 young children, despite all the noise and mess we made Emmanuel and the staff were very welcoming and accommodating. The food was superb, it looked spectacular and tasted even better. We both ordered dishes out of our usual comfort zones and were not disappointed at all. We wish we could visit regularly. We are visiting from Sydney and expect to pay a premium for such a meal but at $50 pp, I dont think I have had a better meal.

Visited September 2013
Perth, Australia
“Outstanding French bistro, best in Perth!.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

My fiance and i dined at Bistro des artistes for an anniversary 2 weeks ago. It was one of the best meals we have ever had in Perth. We settled for the 3 course menu of the day. The entree was sublime, a tomato tart that had superb flaky pastry, buttery and just melts in your mouth topped with nice salty flat anchovies. For the main, it was an eggplant and tomato concoction that was an explosion in my mouth. Interspersed throughout the meal was lovely soft bread with butter that was regularly topped up. Our kind waiter brought us a "on the house" dessert of a vanilla mousse just before our own dessert arrived!. Not only was it super tasty in generous portions, it was very affordable. Each set dinner costs only AUSD 75 each. My only complaint is that we were seated right in front of the door and ended up being frozen as people kept going in and out for a smoke. My tip is to ask for a window seat or right at the rear when making a booking.

• Visited September 2013