“Meat, Meat, Meat!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
“Meat, Meat, Meat!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

This is a different experience to the norm in Perth.

I came with my wife but there were few couples in - mainly groups and friends tucking into the $59 all-you-can-eat Brazilian meat feast with sides and sauces.

They come around and you say yes or no to whatever they are offering.

All tasty stuff although the pork and lamb dishes shone above the beef dishes.

There is a la carte too. There was also a dancer who gets people up to dance samba - so look down if you don't want to be picked out!

Very friendly waitress.

Visited June 2013

82% Recommend
Perth, Australia
“Something different and something good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

'Lapa' is not the kind of place you go to when you want to photosynthesise. You go there after being at a wedding all day eating vegetarian food and want to rip the hind leg off a donkey!

Lapa draws its origins from the fireside pits of Southern Brazil's Pampa region where hundreds of years ago, the gauchos developed their barbecue skills. Their Churrasco style of cooking is now ever-present throughout the world and thankfully, now in Perth.

And don't worry, they don't serve donkey here.....today!

Tucked neatly off the main Hay Street decent into Subiaco, Lapa is basically an "all-you-can-eat" flesh frenzy, interspersed with the odd salad, sweet corn or pineapple dish. Beware not to gorge yourself on these 'distractions' as you won't have room for the onslaught to come. And on that note, I'm sure that this is one of the restaurant's main missions so that you don't consume too much of the more expensive meats.

True to the modern churrascarias of South America, BBQ meats are served on long skewers by the Passadores (meat waiters) who weave between the tables with their offerings. This was the second time that I had taken the 'Ministry of Finance' there and I have to say, the staff were more attentive, despite how crazily busy and humming the place was. I asked some dumb questions (I can't speak Portuguese) and got some very informed replies. This is definitely not the norm with waitstaff in Perth and a credit to Lapa.

I liked the huge glass viewing window into the kitchen, though rarely looked through it and I wasn't put off by the black and white photo feature wall of the 'favela' (Brazilian shantytown). The authentic, spartan feel was in keeping with being a 'rotisserie' despite the Perth prices. Better still, the place was packed by an eclectic mix of young professionals, all of whom seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Would I go back? Definitely. I just wish Perth would grow up and let you eat out later because this place would rock until late, judging by the crowd.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great Brazilian BBQ!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

We went last Saturday as family of 5 people in total. 3 adults and 2 small children.

Friday and Saturday lunch is on promotion till June so only paid $29 per adult for feast eat as much as you want.

I must say service was great this time .
We have been previously here and service was very slow but this time couldn't complain.;)

Meats were great, the even put few dishes in your table which you can ask to repeat or bring fresh.

Drink were quite expensive but Perth is very expensive city.

Read some reviews saying here wouldn't go back and etc.
If you love meat, please go!
Book a week or 2 in advance and enjoy!
Be prepare and take Mylanta afterwards the feast!;))

We will definitely go back again, again and again

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Perth, Australia
“Brazilian in name, theme and description only”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Now I must start by saying that the previous rave reviews had the excitement and gastric juices flowing ! We had to book 4weeks inadvance for a reservation for this restaurant.

I have been to a few Brazillian churrascaria's before and man they rock with the excellent quality meats, superb service and those friendly fast and efficient "gauchos" gliding effortlessly to each table with deliciously cooked cuts of meats on those skewers.

We arrived at "Lapa", sat down at our table and my start/stop mat was ready to be turned to green to signal the start of "bring on the meat". Everything looked promising but alas, it proved to not to be as great as I've experienced elsewhere.

The cuts of meat were poor, plenty of chicken wings, chicken in garlic, chicken in chilli, some lamb kebabs, poor quality sausages, the only decent cut was a rump steak and it wasn't that great either. They had Linguine, lasagne, pasta marinara....not quite what you'd get in an authentic Brazillian churrascaria, but it was obvious they were using these dishes to fill you up and cut down on the amount of meat being offered. After declining 3 servings of chicken the "gaucho" did ask what cut of meat I would like ( good on him). I asked for more steak, it took 4 "gauchos", 1 waitress and the maitre'd and 30minutes later before they came with some steak. Then they reluctantly gave us 2 slices of meat each.

The "floor show" towards the end of the meal was the highlight of the night.

I have to say that if you have never experienced a Brazillian churrascaria then go along to Lapa, it will give you an idea of what it might be like. You will more than likely enjoy the whole experience as most of the previous reviewers have done....so have a try.

However if you have tried any of the Churrascarias in the America's then you might want to give it a miss.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

my two grown up children and i visited this restaurant today, may 4 for dinner. my son ordered the endless feast which he was very happy about. my daughter and i being both small eaters opted for the a la carte orders. both were very generous serves,and i could only manage to eat less than half, my daughter finished half of hers. we asked the waitress if we could take them home and she said we could so she took the food away only to come back with them and telling us to eat some more if we wanted to as we were not allowed to take away left overs because they dont have takeaway license. this was our first encounter of this sort, never heard any food outlet before that does not allow patrons to take home what they cannot finish. this was really very disappointing to say the least!!! we will never dine there ever again. the guy at the cash register was quite indifferent when we told him how we felt about this. all he could say was that we should have informed them before hand so that they could have advised us that we were not allowed to take away, but how were we supposed to know how big the serves were since it was our first visit. this is one place that will never get a second visit from this family.
another thing, the lighting is sooo dim that i could not read the menu at all!!!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere