The property is luxurious and what you would expect of a 5 star resort. The facilites are excellent including the rooms, grounds, pool, gym and spa.
I stayed in their standard superior room in the main hotel Room 3429. I had originally selected the room above that however decided to down grade. My friend stayed in the superisor Ishtar room which is separate from the main hotel rooms which was about 300 JD more. We both agreed my standard room was better than hers and also her rooms being closer to the beach attracted more mosquitoes ( they do put mosquitoe burners in those rooms).
The gym facilities were fabulous as was the spa. The spa is very expensive,however, it is worth it if you make a day of it. I'd suggest booking your treatment in advance and for late afternoon. The spa opens at 10am which means you can have full use of the sauna, steam room, private dead sea pool, hydro pools and private pool - order room service over there and stay for the day.
Restuarants: Always a challenging one as it depends on what you like. The Thai restaurant and Italian were nice, however, it just didn't quite hit the right spot for me.
Wine list is not very good and we gave our feedback to the Hotel Management. Whilst the F & B staff do try they are just not a slick as the Front office / Conceriege staff. We stayed for 6 nights and tried to have a drink each night at sunset, however, found that as the wines were not to our liking (other than the ones that were about 65 JD) we tried their cocktails, but found the staff where not able to make them properly eg. Classic Martini - came with freshly squeezed lemon juice in it, another came with lots of large ice cubes in it, the Mojito tasted like a cloudy lemonade with no alcohol. The Assistance F & B manager has said they are looking to get it right, so hopefully there will be an improvment in the future. Overall it meant we found ourselves on a detox not of our choice. We would have spent so much more money if they had better F & B.
Transfers - we arranged a transfer with the hotel to get back to the airport. The driver was excellent and the service excellent.
Three points of warning:
* there is no wifi in the rooms, it is only in the main hotel areas and it is intermittent to say the least.
* They scan your luggage and bags and confiscate any duty free alcohol you purchase. This is your first impression when you are arrive. To say that i was furious would be an understatment. The reason for confiscation is their main client group is local guests and they have lots of problems with local guests bringing their alcohol in and not spending money at the hotel outlets. I gave my feedback to the management that they need to inform people of this in advance of their arrival and generally i think they should use some discretion when applying this policy. In saything that the Assistant F & B manager did exactly that and allowed us to have our bottle of champagne in our room !
* Thur and Fri are the weekends. So on Friday and Saturday, they turn the infinity pool area in to Ibiza ! Not what I signed up to at all.
Overall thought the resort and their staff are excellent, however, just not as slick as you would expect a 5 star hotel to be.
- Also Known As:
- Kempinski Hotel Amman
- Kempinski Hotel Ishtar Dead Sea Jordan
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Kempinski Hotel Ishtar gives you the opportunity to enjoy its riches where Queen of Sheba and Cleopatra once strived to unravel mystery. Situated gracefully on the shores of the largest spa in the world the Dead Sea, unique for its ozone-rich air, mineral sea water and ultra-violet filtered sunshine. Surely there is no region on earth where nature and history have more wonderfully conspired, where so exciting drama has obtained a so beautiful theatre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Splendia, Priceline, Tingo, HotelTravel.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Otel, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Kempinski Hotel Ishtar Dead Sea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.