“Great day pass!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Sweimah
London, United Kingdom
“Great day pass!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

My friends and I spent the day at the Movenpick. There was a mix up regarding the day pass (between the guy who got us in and Zara spa), which resulted in us having to pay for food in the restaurant, when we were told we had some credit to spend in the restaurants. I thought that was quite dishonest. But that aside, we made the most of the pools and the dead sea is pretty special! We had a few treatments at Zara Spa, which were good, but spoilt by the day pass situation. It could have been handled better.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
phoesli, General Manager at Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for spending the day with us at the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea! I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay at our resort and the Zara Spa. Nevertheless, I have taken note of your comment, regarding the day pass charge and would appreciate if you could give me some more detailed information. It goes without saying that should the accounting procedures with regards to your day pass not have been followed correctly; the wrongly charged amount would be reimbursed. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly in this regard at peter.hoesli@moevenpick.com.
Hoping to have the pleasure of being your host again in the near future and assuring you of our best care and attention at all time, I remain,
Peter Hoesli

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Arabic first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

The good things about this hote: the location is stunning, you'll catch amazing sunsets and the buildings are designed perfectly into the natural surroundings. The pools are lovely and clean and kept to a high standard. The life guards are friendly and polite, especially the guys down on the beach. The Dead Sea is truly awesome. A fantastic experience!
The bad things: The rooms are ok, very clean but a bit rustic. Need updating. No plugs at all so you have to turn off lamps to charge your phone/camera etc. which isn't a big deal just an observation.
This is a Swiss owned hotel run in Jordan, so it should have the excellence and presision of Switzerland and Aarab hospitally - which would make for a fantastic hotel. However, it does not work. The staff have little if any training. They have no idea how to wait on tables or talk to customers. Which is poor, especially that the prices are very, very expensive. Over £10 for a beer or a glass of wine. My waiter this morning at breakfast stompped about kicking chairs under the tables and throwing cutlery about the tables rather than laying them up neatly. His attitude was rude and rather intimidating, I thnk he was the head waiter as he had a different top on to the others.
Then we took a club car, the young driver drove so badly! As if to impress us how fast he could gun it in a golf buggy? So unnecessary!
We ate lunch in lungi's - the food was very nice but agin the service was terrible. Only a few people were eating in there and we had to ask for drinks three times. The boy serving us had no idea when or how to clear plates or how to treat us and the bill call to nearly £70 for two alcoholic drinks and a main course each for 2 people! So not cheap and more training would have been greatly appreciated!
Check in was slow and when we finally got to our room we had to call down for our luggage twice.
If you are visiting this area and stay here, be prepared to pay a lot of money for food and drinks and be served very badly! Then pay on top for the automatically added service! Which I will protest to pay on check out!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,
I refer to your recent stay with us at the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea and have taken careful note of your evaluation of our resort’s facilities and services.
It goes without saying that I have discussed the various points, raised in your evaluation with my team, in order to ensure that remedy actions are being taken and similar inconveniences to our valued guests avoided in the future.
I would like to take this opportunity, in order to apologize for any inconveniences caused during your stay at our resort. Nevertheless, we all at the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea would be very pleased to have another chance to service you in the hopefully not too distant future and assure you already in advance of our best care and attention to your comfort. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly when making a corresponding reservation.
Amman, Jordan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Love the layout of the hotel, and the rooms in the villages. Gives guests a unique experience. A brilliant Spa, probably the best I have been to ever. A little pricy, but all hotels at the Dead Sea. totally worth the money.

Room Tip: Rooms in the villages are much nicer than the ones in the main building. And if you can afford a Pre...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,
Many thanks for your positive review on Tripadvisor and for recommending our resort accordingly.
I am very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay at our resort and your compliments, regarding our Spa have been conveyed to our Zara Spa team accordingly.
The team and I would be delighted to welcome you back to the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea anytime in the hopefully not too distant future and we assure you already in advance of our best care and attention to your comfort.
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

The hotel is very nice although the rooms are a bit old. The pool area is great for adults and kids. It has amazing views and great access to the dead sea. The best of it all is the spa. The buffet is ok but nothing special but the Grill and Luigi's restaurants are very good. It is a bit expensive but worth it.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,
I refer to your posting on Tripadvisor, regarding your recent stay with us at the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea.
Careful note has been taken of your comments, which have been shared as well with the executive team. This is to inform you that 323 out of 346 guest rooms and suites will be renovated starting early this summer.
The team and I were pleased to read that you have enjoyed our recreational areas, including the Zara Spa and the food at our specialty restaurants. I am sure that you will be pleased to read that we will re-open our Chopsticks Restaurant in coming autumn with a slightly different concept, hence, as an Asian restaurant. We are currently in process of hiring Indian and Indonesian Chefs, who will not only be instrumental in the re-opening of the Chopsticks Restaurant but also ensure a more diverse food offering at our Al Saraya All Day Dining Buffet Restaurant.
We all at the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea are looking forward to welcoming you on another occasion back and assuring you of our best care and attention at all time.
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

I stayed here 10 nights for a business meeting recently, so I believe I am pretty familiar with the hotel and guest services. There are many nice things about this hotel, so lets start with them. 1. The food served at the breakfast and lunch buffets was very, very good. 2. The pools are clean and well designed. 3. The evening entertainment in the village square was enjoyable (i.e. singer and traditional dancer). But there are downsides I didn't expect at a 5 star hotel, specifically 1. The service is pretty poor - the waiters seem unhappy for the most part and not that interested in serving you. 2. Your privacy is not respected - I was in the bathroom and had the 'Do not disturb' sign on the door when the guy from the laundry came to deliver my pants. He just ignored the sign and began knocking and calling for me to answer. As I was indisposed, I did not respond. Then, to my surprise, he tried to enter anyway! The secondary door lock caught the door and kept him out, fortunately. When I went to the door eventually he had gone and someone had removed my "Do not disturb' sign(!) 3. My room was a bit worn down/old style (in my room the cover of the electronic door lock kept falling off onto the floor, the TV was old, furniture is rustic, you have to unplug lamps to plug in your computer, and in many of my colleague's rooms the refrigerator did not work). 4. Food options outside of the buffets were very limited, not very tasty, expensive and uninspired. Also worth noting that the drinks were some of the most expensive I have ever ordered... about 15 US dollars for a pint of beer. I don't know what the neighboring hotels are like, but if you stay here, don't have your expectations set too high. It will be a fine experience... just not quite 5 star in my view.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,
I refer to your recent stay with us at the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea for which I thank you.
Careful note has been taken of your comments, which you have posted on Tripadvisor and I have shared them as well with my team.
First of all, I am very sorry to read that you have been disturbed by one of our employees and I have discussed this matter with our Executive Housekeeper, who will ensure that all Housekeeping and Laundry employees are re-trained on this subject. Please accept our apologies for any inconveniences caused.
This is to inform you that we are currently preparing to have 323 out of 346 guest rooms and suites renovated. The renovation program is including among others also the installation of new TVs, repositioning of electrical universal plugs, new furniture, etc., which will represent an excellent improvement for our resort.
We all at the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea would be delighted to be of service to you again in the hopefully not too distant future and assure you already in advance of our best care and attention.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

It took almost 20 minutes at the main gate to check the reservation for us, and the security guy was very unhelpful and he was a little bit rude because he told us that we have to buy 2 vouchers to make sure that we will pay our bill !
He called a lot of people to take the permission for us to enter the hotel, that was the main problem for us.
The food in the breakfast buffet is not that much quality and not very rich. And the guys are not smiling
Reception guys are very good and helpful and they gave us late check out.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
phoesli, General Manager at Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
I have read your review on Tripadvisor and would like to apologize for the inconveniences caused by our Security employees at the main gate of the resort. Needless to say, that I have discussed your comments with the Security Manager but also the Food & Beverage Manager and the Executive Chef accordingly. While we are receiving usually high marks for the food served at our resort, we are currently in process of hiring two Indian and Indonesian Chefs, who will assist us in providing a more diverse buffet set-up in our Al Saraya Restaurant and once again open in coming autumn, also at the Chopsticks Restaurant.
I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea during your next visit to the area and assure you already in advance of our best care and attention to your comfort.
Thanking you for your continuous patronage, I remain,
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

Very slow check in to the spa - receptionist in spa very slow, repetitive, arrogant and annoying. Spa itself with the pools was really amazing and lots of fun. Lady in the changing rooms very helpful and diligent. Quality of massages was excellent too but they took us in very late and finished a few minutes early which was also very disappointing considering she was 30 mins late for me and 20 mins late for my husband. No offer of water or tea afterwards. Very, very expensive even for London standards.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,
I refer to your posting on Tripadvisor, regarding your recent visit to our Zara Spa for which I thank you.
Careful note has been taken of your comments, which I have shared as well with our Director of Spa & Wellness, who is taking the corresponding remedy actions accordingly. Please accept our apologies for the delay upon your arrival at the Spa. Nevertheless, I was pleased to read that you have overall enjoyed your visit to our Zara Spa and hope that the mentioned shortcomings will have been ironed out completely when you visit us next.
Thanking you for your kind recommendation and continuous patronage and assuring you of our best care and attention at all time, I remain,
Peter Hoesli

Been to Moevenpick Resort & Spa Dead Sea? Share your experiences!