“Great Vacation if you are not picky about the service” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Sweimah
Jordan
“Great Vacation if you are not picky about the service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

I booked at this hotel because it's new and I have been to all the other Hotels at the dead sea. Anyone who stays at this hotel should not set too high expectations ( like I did due to some reviews I read), this is a 4 start not five star hotel and is semi publicly owned , I will walk you through my stay for 1 night at a near swimming pool room:
Once you arrive at the hotel you need to get all your luggage scanned, ok with me but don't put a stupid sign saying "Food & Beverages are not allowed". The checking in was quick but again they asked for a an Id for both me and my wife !! again something that wouldn't happen to you at a five star hotel in Jordan. we got a nice room that was not overseeing the pool but was still very close to the pool. There were like 4 pools ( I think) and 3 of them were designed with kids in mind , the last one is just for grownups . water and all other facilities in this hotel were very clean. The hotel has shortage in Tanning beds and we had to wait almost for an hour to get two beds but after a direct complain at the reception to the manager on duty that was resolved and was dealt with professionally and even we had our first round of drinks for free. the Beach ( which I believe is the most important thing if you visit the dead sea for the first time) was clean and the sand almost to the water , lots of black mud ( this mud gets packed and sold all over the world and here you have it for free ). Once you enter the water so you need to be careful as your feet will sink for few inches ( or more) at some spots. make sure to watch the sunset and have your camera ready it's an amazing view., so to rate my experience :

Rooms: Clean and nice modern furniture ( 4 stars(

Food: Breakfast variety was great and more than sufficient, I which only that there was a nonsmokers area in the outside sitting. (5 stars)

Service: was great everywhere except at the pool : waiters are terrible and either you don't find them or they ignore your order. Same for the guys that should get you the towels and tanning beds , there was a mix of ignorance and unprofessionalism , I guess that was the worst thing about this hotel and maybe a reason I would have second thoughts about next time. ( 2 stars)

Still I managed to have a great weekend with my family and enjoy the indescribable experience of floating on the dead sea's mineral rich oily water.

My guideline is if the price difference between this 4 star hotel and the other 5 star hotels is not too big go for the 5 star hotels , you will feel the difference in the quality of service mainly and the luxury of the facilities.

Room Tip: The near swimming pool rooms are very convenient
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Lebanon, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

everything was perfect from the begininh to the end , the staff was very helpfull .
they treat you as a VIP guest , beautiful resort and many large pools....

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

We had no intention of staying at this hotel. We were just going to pay to use their facilities for the day, but the hotel was so lovely we decided to stay the night. Then another night. The pools are great, though Fridays are a bit busy when all the Ammanis come down for the day/night. After they leave on saturday the place is peaceful and wonderful again. the beach here is very nice and they have big pots of mud along the shore where you can cover yourself from head to toe in the dead sea mud. There's also an excellent shop at the hotel selling products at very reasonable prices. The buffet breakfast was wonderful, a lot of items to choose from. The room was clean, very comfortable beds, free internet, bathtub for soaking, and cable channels. I think all rooms also have a balcony, ours did. we were in the main part of the hotel, cheaper rooms, and still it was lovely. the poolside rooms could be a bit noisy i think as they play music at the pool and on fridays quite a lot of young, hip ammanis come and kind of spoil the ambience, but at least it's just for one day. I truly recommend this hotel, great value for money at appox US$170 a night inclusive of taxes, internet, breakfast, as many mud baths as you want, and all the other faciltiies offerred. the evening buffet however was pretty bad for the price. however there arent many places to eat outside of the hotels, so choice is very limited. the ala carte food was better than the evening buffet, and cheaper. btw, you can also have a beer by the pool, so nice after weeks in the middle east!

London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

If I was going to the dead sea again I wouldn’t stay at this hotel. When we arrived they first tried to ‘upgrade’ us to a pool view room which we thought was a bad deal seeing we had paid for sea view. We did get what we had paid for in the end, but I am not quite sure if it is worth paying the extra for the seaview. I would probably get the cheapest room and walk down to the beach to watch the sunset as most of the rooms are quite far back so you are far from the sea. My main reason for not choosing this hotel if going again is the location and condition of the beach. It is on a very mud part of beach and the water was very dirty. Except for a very small part of the beach where everybody seemed to swim from there was a big drop from the sandy beach down to the muddy water with lots of garbage and empty plastic bottles lying around (my husband got a plastic bag stuck to him while swimming as well…). IAt a resort like this I would at lest expect the garbage on the beach to be picked up! I think one reason why this hotel probably sees a lot of garbage both on the beach and in the water is because of the public beach being right next to it. I also found it quite strange swimming/ walking around the beach in my bikini in full view from everyone on the public beach right next to it (there is only a very small partition wall).

The next morning we drove a bit further south, stopped along the road and walked down to the beach to look at the salt formation. Here the water was so clear and there was no garbage and we both wished that we had had a swim here instead. We didn’t go to any of the other hotels or Amman beach but the water looked a lot clearer here as you can see the muddy part of the water on the pictures attached.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

After coming from the rather dumpy Crowne Plaza in Petra, this place really wowed me. The common areas and the rooms are gorgeous, roomy, and spanking clean. The rooms are modern and functional. The elevators adequate in number, size, and speed. We were upgraded as platinum Priority Club members to a sea view, and what a handsome view it was. This place is indeed a resort with multiple pools, bars, and restaurants. If this is the 4th nicest place on the Dead Sea, I'd like to see the other three. Even the food in the restaurants were reasonably-priced for a resort.
I did have some minor issues with service. Firstly and most importantly, I never had any internet access. I called the first time, and they said "Try again in 15 minutes," which I did but there was never any service even the next day when we left. The second was that they didn't have a beach towel at the beach towel stand--and it took them over 20 minutes to get me a towel!
That being said, I look forward to going back to Jordan and staying here in the not-too-distant future. Maybe they will have figured out the kinks by then.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Ascot England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

The hotel is isolated so only go for a couple of nights if you have not got a car. We only went to swim in the dead sea (take some jelly shoes its difficult to get in and out on the rocks). The rooms were large and clean although the bathrooms were not 5 star bathrooms but adquate. Free soft drinks in the minibar, but alcoholic drinks are expensive but this is not only at this hotel, it is around all of Jordan.
The food in the buffet was good but has no atmosphere at night. The other small restaurant is excellent and has good staff and service although there is a big tv in there also to cater for all tastes.
The music around the pool is far too loud and we asked for it to be turned down. It will appeal to young people in the 18-30 bracket around the pool but it is too loud to even read at times. The hotel do try hard with outdoor entertainment, belly dances and music and the setting at night cannot be faulted.

Room Tip: sea view room with balcony is best
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

I have been coming to the Dead Sea for many years, but this was my worst experience ever. We had a number of problems including the cleanliness of the hotel, the competence of the staff and the hotel "rules". The rooms were dirty and dispute several attempts of bringing this to the management's attention the problem was never solved. The room service trays stayed outside the rooms for days in 30 degree heat attracting ants and other insects, and once again the management has promised to resolve the problem, but never actually kept its word. There were open soda bottles and crashed shampoo bottles outside our rooms on the daily basis and no one seemed to care. The beach pool was always out of towels, the entertainment at the kids pool was a myth and never actually happened, the spa was out of therapists and it was impossible to get a massage.
During our stay at the hotel I have met about 5 different managers and they have all promised me not only to deal with the problems we had but also other things, including discounts and room upgrades. Of course we were not upgraded anywhere, and the discount was not included in our bill. I was very disappointed when those managers who had promised me the world had the courtesy to lie to my face about the fact that they have promised me nothing and that i must have misunderstood them.
All in all worst experience ever. I felt like I spent more time dealing with the problems than actually relaxing and spending time with my family. I would surely not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Dead Sea? Share your experiences!