I will attempt to write this review in a sequential manner from start to end. Poovar Island Jetty is 30ish kms away from the Airport / station and is a 1 hour Rs 800 Taxi (Indica Non AC) ride. I reached the Jetty at about 7:30 pm and it was all dark - barely could see anything. Just like any other resort - I was trying to search for the reception and only 10 mins later did I realize that I am on a Jetty and the actual resort is a 20 min boat ride away. I got myself a boat managed by the resort and 20 mins later reached the place. It was a warm welcome by the staff - they made me feel comfortable and homely, the checkin experience was probably one of the best I had. Unlike other hotels / resorts where they make you stand at the reception, ask for zillions of signatures, copies of your passport, i-card etc and only 20 tiring minutes later you are allowed to you room - Poovar Island only asked for my name and immediately escorted me to the room. From the reception to your room - you pass by a swimming pool - its a smallish swimming pool cum Bar cum hang out area (see the pic below). I had booked myself a standard room - they have 3 variants of rooms depending on how much you want to spend - but the standard room was also fine. It was not one of the best rooms that I had stayed in - but just about OK ish. If you are travelling as a couple / honeymoon you might want to avoid the standard room as it shares a wall with the adjacent room and you can hear the television from the other room. They also have the floating villas which are the best (see pic), the give you direct view of the backwarters and a very good balcony to spend 3/4 hours just doing nothing. The water villas are very good to relax - although they are NOT very private - passing by boats also have a very good view of your room specially when its dark and your lights are ON. The place has a smallish and comfortable restaurant which serves very good food (see pic) - a smallish conference room for meetings etc and also a very good Ayurveda spa. As compared to the other properties in and around Poovar - in my judgement Poovar Island Resort is the best one owing to its location and specially the water villas.
They also take you for a evening sunset cruise - which is a good comfortable relaxing boat ride. Check out some of the pics below to get a feel.
Some tips - ensure you call up the reception to make sure the boat is arranged to / fro from the jetty. It gets very dark and scary for some if you have a boat ride post evening. Post 8 pm - boats to the jetty are available on request only - so if you have a flight to catch - make sure you have an additional buffer of at least 30 mins.
The jetty is NOT accessible by public transport - so either you get your own cab - or use the resort cab which will charge Rs 1322 - Maruti Ertiga AC.
In all - a good property to spend 2 odd days. Recommended for Honeymooners as well.
- Also Known As:
- Poovar Island Hotel Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum)
- Poovar Island Hotel
- Hotel Poovar Island
- Poovar Island
- Poovar Trivandrum
- Poovar Island Resort Kerala/Puvar, India
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enveloped in serene Kerala backwaters, flanked by the Arabian Sea on the East and the majestic towering Ghats to the West, opening out to the ocean and a dream golden beach, Poovar Island Resort is a tropical paradise. Swaying coconut palms, endless golden sands, the ultramarine of the ocean, emerald backwaters, crimson sunsets and lush green vegetation create a magical ambiance around you. It is the ideal remote getaway location for a quiet holiday in spectacular natural surroundings. You can choose between floating cottages and land cottages for accommodation and enjoy a boat cruise along the palm-fringed shores of bewitching backwaters.Poovar Island Resort has 78 cottages offering a range of accommodation options. 56 rooms can be used as triples. The bathrooms come equipped with Jacuzzis, bathtubs or rain showers. 48 rooms come with a hammock in the terrace.(78 rooms - 39 Land Cottages, 10 Ayurveda Land Cottages, 05 Superior Land Cottages, 08 Premium Cottages, 12 Floating Cottages & 04 Ayurveda Floating Cottages. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, Travelocity, Tingo, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Poovar Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.