“Mixed feelings” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bratislava, Slovakia
“Mixed feelings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2014

I spent a week at Kumkoy Beach and Spa with my wife at the beginning of October.
After this week we've had mixed feelings - facilities and meals OK,but the overall experience not so much. Will defiňitely not return. The reasons : read on....

We were told we can expect 4star hotel despite the 5stars the hotel gave themselves which is quite usual.
Nonetheless,upon arrival we were given a room that just cannot stand to even 3stars standard. It was a tiny little room with separated beds and almost no room for anything else,not speaking of horrible bathroom. The worst of all : the room was most likely a part of something like a family apartment i.e. you could hear the breathing of people from adjacent room.
We immediately refused this and wanted to get a real 4star double room. Fortunately they were able to upgrade this (!!! altough we had ordered a standard double room with our tour operator!!!) of course for a charge.
Otherwise the hotel is OK,mainly the selection of meals. The selection of drinks,on the other hand is poor - and it seems that the bar tenders have frozen in mid 90's. (not speaking of the photgrapher offering his services - I just coudld not stop laughing every time I saw his horrible "art" compositions :-)))). ).
What would definitely need a refurbishment are the a la carte restaurants - the location of them within the hotel and their similar format are not inviting - and we didn't use them.
Personnel is mainly german speaking and with non consistent quality of service a depends on who you are served by. Cleaning of the rooms - below 4stars standard. And no,the tip you leave for a cleaning staff doesn't help - the only extra you get is you pyjama is neatly made into some sort of butterfly or something. By the way tips - it seems like everyone is expecting them in Turkey - no matter you have paid for the service.

Room Tip: Insist on a room in the main buildng. Sea side view acceptable.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Hungarian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Bratislava Region, Slovakia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2014

We spend in this hotel beginning of September 2014 and based on reviews we were expecting better experience.
The reception employee at the check in was rude, just tried to get rid of us asap. Room was ok, but the side sea view was disappointment, mainly because I would describe the room as roof view. The roof had A/Cs which were on 24/7. So we could not sleep as well, as we would like to.
Other disappointment were employees, who preferred German tourists, few times we saw and even experienced that they ignored others.
Otherwise, the pools, food and beach were good. The variety of restaurants included in AI was great.
We will not be coming back.

Room Tip: Do not take side sea view room.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Antwerp Province, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2014

Had a lovely stay here! Lots of swimming pools, lots of food and lots of friendly people! (No russians) The only negative point being that dinner was most of the time a bit the same... But the waffles made up for that! I coming back here next year!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Ankara, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2014

I've had a chance to experience several hotels in the Mediterranean and Agean coast with all inclusive concept. This hotel deserves the right to be claimed as having one of the best kitchen. I am not really a great fan of seafood, so I will avoid commenting on the taste; however, I just can say that the variety on the seafood was amazing. Seeing schrimp within the choices of selection was first for me.

Other than seafood, steaks, grills were great, every time I tried different cheese and I will recommend everyone to try "çemenli peynir".

Last recommendation is "baklava with coconut" you will find it within the selection of deserts with "şerbet".

I know it sounds like a restaurant review, but it's not all. Sandy beach is exclusive, and not surprisingly they have a "blue flag" for the clean seawater. There are many pools that you can relax and you don't have to get up early to save a space by the pool. There are some pools with waterslide for kids and for adults.

The pools by the lake house rooms are almost isolated and if you wish to be isolated.

Rooms are spacious, and management offered us a family room even though we had standard room arranged. We prefered to stay at the standard room with two kids. Almost all the rooms in the main building are facing to the sea.

There is Turkish hamam, one must try.
And the hotel is pretty close to Side Antique City where you will regret to visit.

The hotel had a big German crowd, and take priority to serve them; and after a long time this was the first hotel which was not dominated by Russian guests.

And the negatives,
It was a family vacation with two kids, and the Kids Club was kind of weak compared to hotel's other services. Our kids did not want to spend much time in the Kids Club and preferred the pool, so it was not a big problem. The animation team gave me a feeling that they are really tired and just wanted to rest. But again I did not participated any activities, so I will leave the comment to the people, who has done some stuff with them.

The wifi was only accessible in the lobby, they did not have any access in the rooms which was disappointing.

And one last marketing tip about the hotel. Please change the name and find a simpler and catchy name. It's hard to pronounce, it's hard to remember.
And please remove the sign on the top of the roof. It's not 70's anymore.

I will definitely recommend this hotel. They deserve the 5 star.

Room Tip: If you can afford, get a lakehouse room.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2014

Checking was very fast, kind and pleasant. Our room had a surprise! They prepared our room as a honeymoon room (a funny mistakes). We are married for 20 years so it was a cute surprise. At our room there were lots of food goodies, champagne, a huge basket of fruit (all was free extras because of honeymoon room status, but except the nuts and drink we did not use the rest of it) and everywhere include bath rooms were covered with red rose petals.. Our room was very big and bed was very comfortable. Resort personnel at lobby were kind and helpful, but the rest of the resort personnel did not seem very happy or kind people. They were lacking a kind smile most of the time.. One of the resort personnel was very rude when I asked 'Can I order my drink here?' in English. She replied me in German which I have no clue what she said. I repeated my question again and again and her answer was always in German. So I gave up and walked away while I heard she was talking sarcastically about me in Turkish to her colleagues and laughing behind me. Some of the personnel really need a serious customer service training. They are not refine people. Resort is huge as well as the pool. We really enjoyed the pool area. It is wonderful to swim in that big pool where is surrounded with beautiful trees, plants and little bridges. Beach area has huge huge amounts of sun-beds under a permanent shade cover where reminded us a military camp! It is really boring to be in that area. We stayed there only one night all inclusive so we had breakfast, lunch and dinner. Our breakfast was nice. I liked the fresh orange juice option. You cut your fresh oranges and you squeeze their juice with a manual juicer which is fine, but it has always long long lines. Lunch and dinner times we were amazed with the variety of choices, but guess half of the open buffet menu items are really terribly tasteless. There is also extra food service after 10 pm with a limited and more plane options. We are not big eaters, but I think it is nice option for the people they like to eat midnight snacks etc. I wish the resort would cut the variety of their open buffet meals, but increase the quality and taste of it. Resort is too big and very crowded. It was overwhelming for us. Children were running all over! Loud Russians were plenty!! I wouldn't stay at this resort again. We have been there, we had done that and one time is enough for us.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Bucharest, Romania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

We choose this hotel to see no more rude russian tourists.
We stayed previous in: Rixos Premium, Rixos Lares, IC, Gloria. Is the 6th year in Turkey

Good points:
- polite and nice tourists from Germany, France, Holland, no rude russians
- a lot of pools where you can find sunbeds even at10 am
- big beach with thin sand and the entrance in the sea with no rocks and very calm
- very close to the hotel the shops with all the souvenirs

Bad points:
- cleaning in the room, for 3 days they came to clean it at 3 in the afternoon, while the baby is sleeping, so in the 4th day we asked the reception help to have the room cleaned before 2 in the afternoon
- the waiters in the restaurants , very nice only if you give them 1-2 euro each time when you eat
- green space around the hotel not so big as we had to the previous hotels

• Stayed August 2014
Bratislava, Slovakia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We visited this hotel in June 2014 with 2 small children (3 years old) and 2 other families and all of us enjoyed the stay there very much. The gardens and the pools are pretty nice, well-maintained, clean and everybody could find a great place for enjoying the sun and fun (babies pool, sun beds in the centre of the pools or beach bar, sun beds in the calm garden area with pools, tobogans, etc.). The beach is very close to the hotel, just 100 m from the pools, with many sun beds under sunshades. Beach is sandy and also clean and well-maintained, the sea is fine mostly for children as you could walk few metres in shallow water. The meal in the hotel restaurants (you coud choose more restaurants for having a lunch or dinner) was superb with a big variety including more international cuisines. We tried also a-la-carte restaurants (sea food and barbecue) and it was great with profesional services. Hotel program and animations during days and evenings for boths children and adults was also fine and made a nice addition to our vacation. The services in general were very good and kept high quality hotel standard. Would certainly recommend this hotel resort, mostly to families and seniors.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Kumkoy Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!