“Lovely hotel, hit and miss staff/ guests” 4 of 5 stars

Kamelya World Selin
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   P.O. Box 51 | Çolaklı Manavgat, Colakli, Turkey   |
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Colakli
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel, hit and miss staff/ guests”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

The pools are excellent! The staff are nice but when rude foreigners try to push infront of people (including kids) they do turn a blind eye. Russains are the majority at these hotel but there were still a fair few of English. I would recomment everyone try the cocktail bar, the service is exceptionally good and the sea view is lovely. We only tried the chinese during our stay and it was great. Rooms are nice and newly decorated. Lunch and Dinners is nice but breakfast is basic.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Turkish first
england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

We stayed here about three years ago and always meant to write a review .The Hotel Complex was gorgeous ,we stayed in the Selin which was beautiful .The food was Excellent and having the beach on the front was perfect which was a lovely beach and sea .The only problem i had with this stay was the amount of germans here ,all entertainment was in german which our teenagers got abit bored of.We thought the hotel though was outstanding !!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Copenhagen , De
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

My family and I stayed at Selin hotel and we were not dissapointed the service was proffessional and the staff kind and very service minded
The food was great with a variety of differrent cuisines something for every one to enjoy.
We spent our days by the poolside and the evenings we enjoyed the theatre( stage shows) were we were entertained with dance and music preformed by proffessional artists.

Overall our stay there exceeded our expectations and we whole heartedly recommend Selin hotel to other holiday makers We are definetly going there again!.

Ramsey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

everything abut this hotel is brill food was very good, drinks cocktails and slush all day carnt fault it how room was overlooking sea we had 1 double shower and 1 bath with jets in how bathroom awesome

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

We arrived at this hotel after having a previous nightmare at one of the other hotels nearby. Thomas Cook had moved us into the Kamelya Selin. As soon as we walked into this hotel we were amazed with the place. Huge chandeliers in reception, with free fruit, turkish delights, biscuits and champagne when you walked in. Our room was lovely, everything you would expect from a 5* hotel. We had a lovely view of the other hotels. The pool is fantastic for small children with plenty of slides for them. Everything is spotlessly clean. The food is delicious in the main restaurant and we also tried the Chinese and Mexican restaurants which were very nice. The staff are all friendly and a special mention to Stella in the spa! I would definitely recommend this hotel and would also return myself. We didn't have a problem with other Russian/German guests, in fact we actually made friends with a Russian family while we were there. I didn't find them ignorant at all, everyone keeps themselves to themselves.

United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Just got back yesterday, 28/07/11 and will not be returning! We were supposed to stay in the Fulya but the twin room was too small for 3 of us( my daughter is 12 and I didn't want her to have to sleep on a camp bed for 2 weeks) so we were offered a room in the Selin (If you get room no. 2621, don't accept it. It has no balcony and the only thing you can see is the external glass elevator) The Air con was rubbish, part of the headboard fell off, landing on my daughters head and the whole part of the door facing crashed off the wall the following day! Oh, and remember to bring your night vision goggles because the hotel is extremely dark!
The hotel itself is clean, the pools are huge and the indoor pools lovely and cold, but you cannot get a sunlounger unless you're up at the crack of dawn!
There is only a handful of British going to this hotel (1% during our stay) and the food reflected this, quite poor variety for us! The Hotel is predominantly German and Russian and everything is geared towards those guests. Look forward to listening to the pleasant sounds of Pink Panther, The Good The Bad and The Ugly, and The Entertainer every single meal time....I'm sure you'll be ready to scream by the end of your stay!

For those of you reading this review, please be warned of what I am about to tell you......
DO NOT VISIT THE HOTEL DOCTOR!
I unfortunately became very unwell on my last day and went to the doctor in the hotel. To cut a long story short, I was not fit to fly, ( I needed 3 days of treatment) but the Hotel kicked us out anyway! I was left extremely sick, with no room and Thomas Cook were totally uninterested because our travel insurance was not with them! We couldn't even get them to help us at reception when none of the hotel staff spoke English.
We ended up facing a 1100 Euro bill from the doctor, yes 1100 euros! and a 154 Euro bill from the hotel because I couldn't even get off the bed when the time came to check out! (At this point, I still had a catheter stuck in my arm and 2 days worth of treatment to receive!)
Anyway, thanks to our amazing insurance company, and Adele in particular, we escaped the Selin and were put up in a beautiful hotel in Antalya while I received the rest of my medical treatment in the hospital. We finally flew home a couple of days later.

I know this might seem an extreme review, but this is what we experienced at this hotel. This was our 3rd stay in Turkey in under a year and, although I'm a firm believer that your holiday is what you make it, (ok, we didn't like the food and you might. I though the air con was rubbish, yours might be the best you've ever had. I like to chat with people on holiday, you might not etc.) sometimes things happen outwith your control and if you are in a hotel where no one cares then you really are in big trouble!

Room Tip: Don't accept room 2621 in the Selin! The beds are really comfortable!
Bratislava, Slovakia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

I am 19 years old and I spent a week in Kamelya Selin. Straight to the point: Hotel Selin is a great place to enjoy your holiday time, but there are few minor glitches (especially in service) you need to know about.

Rooms and public areas of Selin : As the hotel was fully refurbished in 2008, rooms are modern, but also very spacious and clean, with LCD tv( 36 chanells, majority is german, turkish and russian, but there is CNN, BBC and Eurosport, all of them in international editions), there is no PayTV avaiable, but if you are interested, there is AdultMovie chanell free of charge. Bathroom is a bit small, but there is a good bath and even enlarging mirror with its own light. Beds are sort of kingsize with quality mattresses, just lying on the bed is like a lullaby. Even an extra bed was comfortable, although in comparison with original bed, there was no match.
Every double room has its balcony, and be aware that the balcony door has to be closed to let aircondition work. Aircon is good, but as someone mentioned in his review, it is turned off during the night.
Internet connectivity in Selin hotel is perfect. There is Wi-Fi avaiable in the Lobby(free-of-charge), but what is even better, is the Ethernet connection directly in every room, which is also free. The connection is fast( online-video streaming is not an issue) and I have not noticed even a speed drop during the whole week, not to mention breakdowns. Perfect.
Public areas of Selin are nice and clean, only the on-wall paintings are sort of cheesy, but you do not have to care about that. There are five elevators purely for guests ( staff has its own), but for some reason, not all the elevs. work all the time. But that is not a thing to be concerned about, as the elevs. can handle the situation without making you go despair to get to your favourite bar or restaurant :).
All of the areas like main restaurant, lobby, sport facilities are clean and there are glasses prepared for the guests together with some fruits on the reception. (dont drink the "champagne", it is not much of a tasty stuff).

Food and drinks: If you have already found some info about Kamelya, you might know that there are seven bars and three main restaurants(one for every hotel). There are also special restaurants( turkish, italian, chinese etc) where you can come for a dinner only if you book your table in forward. As I was there only for a week and everyone in my group was satisfied with food in main Selin restaur. I was not to any of those special ones. The main restaurant offers very wide range of food from breakfast to dinner. My preferences are slow-food and not to eat caloric meals three times a day, and I was satisfied. I promise, everyone from person on diet(there is a special buffet issued for them) to Michael Phelps like eater will find a range of well prepared food to eat. Only patisserie products were not top-notch, but cakes and sweets were exceptionally tasty. If you can not live without pork, do not go to Selin, but you know, that is an issue of all islamic countries.
I was satisfied with the selections of drinks offered, turkish beer Efes is surprisingly good, spirits are not first-class, but vodka and cognac are O.K. even for drinking in high-profile mode( the hangover is not any worse as it is after getting intoxicated by their original counterparts). Alcohol free drinks and juices are usually too sweet, but not bad in general. If you prefer sugarfree Coke, there is Coke-light, but no Coke Zero offered.
You might have heard there is a daily-refilled minibar in every guestroom. If you put a small tip( 3 euro is fair) on your fridge with a small list of what you want (like 6 beers and 4 sodas) the minibar man will be kind to fill your fridge with it. Without tip, he ll give you just 2 beers, waters and sugared drinks. Your choice.

Service: This is sort of an issue in Selin. It could be my paranoia, but i often felt like everyone is waiting for the tip(baksheesh) to give you fair amout of service. Of course they ll serve you also without it for most of the time, but the attitude-change of staff when given the tip is very radical. Without it, most of them are almost apathetic or worse, cocky. Once we came to dinner a litlle later( hotel brochure tells you that 2030 is the convenient time to come) and we needed a table to be newly prepared and issued with cutlery and new tablecover, as the old one was left dirty by someone who had eaten there before. Young turkish waiter brought the cutlery and tried to seat us to that dirty tablecloth, smiling like total idiot. After we refused, he left. When we got a bit angry and decided to find a manager to sort out the situation, older waiter came and politely provided new tablecloth and drinks. As a result, we gave no tip to anyone of the lads in main restaurant that evening. Once during the lunch, one waiter was overlooking us so blatantly that it became sort of comic. Also bartenders expect some tip, they give you maybe even trice the dose of alcohol compared to usual drinks.
As you are told by graph displayed on the reception, sixty percent of guests are Germans and more than 20 percent are russians ( only 2 percent from UK). As a result, only english speaking staff are the receptionists, and do not expect any special info in english from them, but when I used german, their were fare more talkative. Room cleaners speek only really basic german, it is more like "putzen" than " zimmer aufräumen". They expect a tip, but work fine even without it.
Animation programme was occupied by germans, so i did not take part in any of the activities, but there is a few like water-polo, darts, petanque and water gymnastics. There was no tennis coach or animations on site, but it is possible to get tennis coach if you want. There are maybe three football pitches by the hotel, but there was nothing like football games for guests, what I think would be widely appreciated. Those pitches look professional, more like being prepared for StevieG's than average amateurs.
Towel service is O.K, you get beach towel cards when doing the check-in and you pick and change your pool-beach towels by the pool. However, if you want to secure yourself a good spot by the pool or even at the beach, you have to get up bloody early ( 0645 a.m.) and put your towels on selected sunbeds.
There are even shops in Kamelya World, most of them provide lousy overpriced goods and poor selection, but there is one small shop with newspaper from all over the world, however, from UK there is only current issue is The Sun, all others (Times, Observer, Daily Mail) are a day old. If candy like Mentos and chewing gums are vital for you(as are for me) be prepared to pay a bit more than in normal stores all over the non-hotel world. If you check the price of beer, you ll far more appreciate the minibar hint I wrote earlier.

Facilities: As I like to do some sport almost daily, I was thrilled with range of sport facilities in Selin. There is a whole Spa-Fitness part of hotel and it is free of charge, excluding massages etc. there is nicely equipped fittness centre even with towels, water and flatscreens to watch something when doing your work-out. After the work out, there are two sauna rooms, steam bath( which is too hot to stay in) and indoor pool which is almost always vacant and you can swimm there as much as you want. This whole Fitness-Spa place is a great plus of the hotel if you like to do some excercise. Outdoor poll is huge, but the one by Selin is only 140cm deep, what is not much. Beach is really clean and well maintained, there are also clean showers and toilets to wash off all the sand and salt water. The Beach has Blue Flag, what is sort of an award for well maintained beaches all over the Europe.
Tennis courts are two and they are not meant to be used for professional games, as the surface is really lazy and slow, but the fence around is strong(you do not lose a ball too often) and either in the early morning or around 6 p.m. courts offer nice chance to play some more relaxed tennis.
There is an aquapark in the Resort, it has four slides, it is nothing superb, but it is free and could be a nice experience after spending hours in the calm waters of the pool.

Location: It will take an hour or so to get to the hotel from Antalya airport, which itself is a disgrace, especially the departure hall of terminal 2 should be enlarged soon. The Kamelya resort itself is about 15 km from Side and there are few "beach and fake goods" shops nearby the resort, but it is hardly worth a visit. No english newspaper there, only HSBC ATM on site. As we were in turkey only for a week, we did not visit the city of Side.
If you are planning to go on holiday with a group of friends and you fancy clubbing, be aware that it might be sort of a problem to fully enjoy nightlife in the location. If you decide to take taxi(it is not a problem from the resort gates) to Side, than problem is solved.

Overally, Selin definitely is a value-for-money-wise clever decision. You get what you pay for, and if you pay a little extra to the right people in tips, you will spend your holiday in finest comfort.

ask more if you feel a need to do so.

• Stayed September 2010

Been to Kamelya World Selin? Share your experiences!