“Amazing Holiday at The Baia” 4 of 5 stars

Baia Bodrum Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kizilburun Mevkii Gundogan, Gundogan 48400, Turkey   |
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Gundogan
Norfolk
“Amazing Holiday at The Baia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

Myself and my girlfriend stayed at the baia after a long search for a decent hotel well away from the more trashy resorts and eventually came across the Baia.

The Hotel itself is Very large and spreadout, Nearly all rooms come with an amazing view over the bay of Gundogan.

After reading alot of the reviews before we left we were quite worried about what we would find but we both felt that the hotel was of an ideal standard and you must remember that its a turkish 5 star not uk level so its not going to be the Hilton.

We paid 500 pounds each for a week all inclusive which is about right for the baia and was of a much higher standard than other similiar price hotels i have stayed in.
Many have complained of paying over the odds for there holiday but with a simple search on the net you can get it for a good price.

The room was spacious and cleaned each day and the fridge was full of soft drinks which we were very happy to have. We had a fantastic view from our balcony and it was lovely to sit in the evening and enjoy the sunset.

The Hotel is a few mins walk from the centre of the villiage and there are a few shops and restaurants but Gundogan is not a main resort and has a much more local feel than some of the other resorts in the area.

The best form of Transport is the Dolmas which are avaliable just down the road from the hotel you can get to Bodrum with ease and its very cheap.

The food was typical buffet style but there was alot of choice and we felt most staff were friendly. But as i ve found in other countries if you take the time to be friendly with the staff they will be nice back.

We had a great time at the baia and although its not without fault we were happy to let small niggles go by.

As a warning we made the foolish mistake of booking onto the last day boat cruise which promised a new hotel to be able to use and a boat trip before our night flight back to the uk. We were taken to gumbet and checked into the most awfull hotel i have ever seen with mould on the walls and ceiling. We so wished wed stayed at the baia and although we would of lost our room at least we would of had the comfort and surroundings of a good place

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

Had a lovely time away with the family! best prices have to say are found on the internet! great views, lovely rooms and such a lovely display of food every night, wish i could have the chef at home!! Simon Weatherill i must say you will enjoy this holiday with or without the chef! see you on the beach.................. dont forget your sun cream and your money!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Essex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

We stayed from the 10th - 17th October 2009 - the hotel is very nice, has a very grand reception area, was clean and tidy. We had a lovely room with a fantastic view, probably the best package hotel view I've ever had but what let the hotel down was the food which was not what I consider to be 5 star, far from it and the service at times was not very good. There seemed to be a shortage of staff at times causing a long wait to get a drink at the bar, only to find that they had run out of what I asked for. The animation team were not very good and seemed quite happy to entertain themselves late afternoon down by the pool playing ridiculously loud "clubbing" music in short bursts - I think they were trying to impress a couple of young ladies. It was really noisy and drove us away several times.

Piped music was sometimes played - one morning whilst on the pontoon it varied from country and western, to rap then nothing - it was so inconsistent it was irratating. All they need is some middle of the road music playing gently in the background- or even better nothing so that we could enjoy the peace and quiet of what is a beautiful bay.

This was my 6th visit to Turkey and the food really let the hotel down, by far the worst food I have had in Turkey. The food lacked variety and was rather boring and uninteresting and unapptezing, there were numerous bowls of food that looked like they had been put out time and time again, and the hot dishes looked like they had been kept hot for days, if you don't like salad don't go there, but even these were not very interesting. The fruit and desserts was the same every night. The omlette chef was usually on his mobile phone instead of cooking which was rather irrating and his long hair was not covered which I found rather off putting. He also made no effort to talk or communicate whilst we were waiting for the omlettes to cook - I think we were intruding on his phone time.

The hotel was due to close a few days after we left for the winter, it felt like they were closing the hotel down around us and at any point in time they were going to switch the lights off - I won't go that late in the season again.

There was litte to do in the evening, what there was had closed down for the winter - it was like walking into a ghost town - I can't imagine it being very lively in the summer either.

A really good duo played in the restaurant each night, it would have been better to have them on the terrace in the evenings.

The dining room was not very nice, plastic chairs to sit on made it feel like a canteen rather than a dining room.

It was OK for a chill out week, but I would go back or recommend it.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Kent, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

travelled to the Baia Bodrum as a single woman wanting a completely relaxed hoilday in the sun and that's exactly what I got.

The hotel is in a fantastic location with stunning views. My room was clean, the bathroom of more than adequate size and the bed comfortable. Towels were changed every day and were sparklingly white and of good size & quality. I would have liked a top sheet on the bed as I found the duvet rather heavy & hot though I expect if I had asked, I would have been given one.

Food was perfectly acceptable and it was a real treat to be able to eat every meal outside though a little more lighting would have been nice. I did find it odd that filter coffee was only available at breakfast.

Staff were attentive but not over-friendly.

The sun deck over the sea was absolutely wonderful. I can imagine that in the height of the season it gets crowded, but when I was there I never struggled to find a sunbed. The view from here is fabulous and it was blissfully peaceful.

One word of warning - the Dalyan river excursion is a 4 - 5 hour coach drive away taking account of the taxi ride to the coach feeder park. It was, however, well worth it.

All in all, I don't think I could have chosen a better place to recharge my batteries. I had a wonderful holiday. Thank you Baia hotel. I am sure I will return.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
lancs
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

The hotel reception was impressive but was wasted space as the bar did not have enough room. The dinning room was clean and organised but when it rained we struggled to get a seat. ~If you ate outside the cats were a nuisance always begging for food and at times jumping on the table. The food was okay but very repetative. The staff were friendly and helpful. The view from our balcony was fantastic but if you are going for a beach holiday you will be disappointed. There is a little single dirty beach the width of a sunlounger and that is it. The jetty is nice but cramped and the sea is lovely to swim in.
~if you wnat peace in the day time around the pool look out as it is really loud music.
There is nothing around the hotel except a few turkish bars which were not that brilliant.
For the price I paid of this package I would have expected more.

herts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

I agree with some of the previous comments. This hotel is not suitable for people with walking difficulities, there is a lift but it doesnt go all the way. If you are looking for a sandy beach you will be disappointed, it is only a sunbed deep and very stoney. The bar staff were very friendly, and the entertainment staff very poor. The hotel is only 10 mins away from the bus station, the buses are very reliable but get crowded. If you go to Turgereis get the bus back from the bus station so that you can get a seat. Food rather boring. The reception area was too large although impressive the space should have been allocated to the bar area. There are not enough sunbeds around the pool. The view is stunning across the bay and we met some lovely people, but I would not recommend this hotel and do not consider it as a 5star.

Nottingham, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

The hotel lobby as you walk in is stunning with clean marble floors and neutral relaxing colours.
The rooms are very nice & comfortable ,the staff helpful and polite.
We have just arrived back from a week here and enjoyed our stay we met lovely people both the staff and new friends.The food was fantasic lots of choice we ate very well.The whole hotel is ran well and very clean.
Tips-take small buses from Gundegeon to Turgetreise market ect as they are a lot cheaper than the hotel.
Check in the lifts everyday to let you know what food & entertainment will be on that day.
If anything could have made my holiday better it would have been to have tea making facilities in the room and a little more information on the hotel.
We loved it x

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Baia Bodrum Hotel? Share your experiences!