“OK in the self contained cabins” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Alexandra Holiday Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alexandra
Alexandra Holiday Park
You added Alexandra Holiday Park to your Saves list
Manuherikia Road, Alexandra, New Zealand   |
christchurch
“OK in the self contained cabins”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I can not comment on other than the self contained units. But yes, I do agree as below, this is one of those family holiday parks, where the proprietors are not aware of modern standards of service.
Now the self contained cabins give plenty of space, and unlike motels, plenty of facilities.
Ther will be an oven, utensils and crockery, and TV set [ if badly positioned ] and heating. The showers are good. We stayed in "Emma" self contained cottage and "Annalyse" self contained.
in January 2013. There are a lot of children at the camp.
I like the feeling of space you get at a holiday camp, and the facilities. Usually you can not cook at a motel. Price about $90 $95. Only a slight edge on motel.
There will be a double bed, plus probably two singles in your unit.
ends paul scott

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Dunedin, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We arrived here to a man standing near the entrance he looked like a security guard we were asked if we were coming to stay there and was told were to park the car i found this a little odd we have stayed at many camping grounds and never stuck this.
We got out of the car and went to the office to check in and it was locked a young man came to the door and told us to come back in 10mins as they were having lunch we thought that was rude we have never known a place to be shut for lunch,I work in a motel and we are always open for the guests to check in or out or to be there when they need us,so we went back to the car to wait,I said to my husband why don't we drive around the camp ground to see what it was like we did this I wasn't impressed with what I saw it wasn't a nice looking place at all.
When we got back to the entrance we were told by the security man that we couldn't do that we decided not to stay we thought they were rude and the place was a dump!!! DON'T STAY HERE

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Warwick, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

My partner and I have stayed at this holiday park for almost a month now and so I can write this with real experience of this camp site.

It’s my honest opinion that if you want to go away on holiday and have a nice time, this holiday park is NOT the place to do it. It’s fair to say that the facilities are average: very dated; concrete floor bathrooms; in need of a lick of paint; hot plates that barely work in the kitchen; no decent sized ovens to cook with etc. They do have Sky TV however, in their little lounge and a few washing machines and expensive Wifi.

Unfortunately, what really let’s this place down is the people who run the holiday park. The owners and management are not warm or welcoming at all. Why are the owners and management like this? We found out at the end of our stay...

On the first day we weren’t even shown where all the facilities were on arrival. The only thing the female owner did say was that it was the cleanest holiday park in the area. This turned out to be false information as I noticed the same used plaster on the floor in the shower cubicle four days running and my partner had a similar experience.

On the second day, the cleaners –who were also very miserable and hostile towards us throughout our stay – blamed my partner and I for making a mess with chicken noodles in the kitchen. It didn’t matter that I told her that “we are vegetarians and hadn’t cooked in the kitchen yet”, she had it in for us.

All the way through our month here we were treated VERY rudely by the owners and cleaners of the park and we couldn’t work out why. I asked around guests at the campsite and they told me that the owners always run hot and cold and can be very rude to most people.

When people are rude to you from the word go, you have to assume there is some prejudice in their minds when they make their initial judgements about you.

Everything became clear when I went to the owners on our last day to ask if we could go away travelling for a couple of weeks and come back and use up the extra days that we have paid for when we come back. The owners flatly refused and said that they won’t do it because we are “messy”. This came as a shock as we take pride in cleaning up after ourselves wherever we go. The owner said we "leave a mess in the kitchen", which we never have, and that we had litter around our tent. The litter around our tent was a small jewellery box and a wrapper that fell out when the owners told us to move our tent to another spot, which we hadn't seen. I had to ask the owner “why he was being so hostile towards us when we just keep ourselves to ourselves, are tidy and get along with other guests?” All he could say was that we were messy, and I said to him that he cannot base this on a couple of pieces of litter which we did not see. He ended up swearing a lot and then marched me to a rubbish bin where he pulled out the pieces of litter and said “there!” I couldn’t believe that these two pieces of litter were the problem, so I asked him why he would be so nasty to us for the whole time we had been there when this litter was found only the day before. That’s when he made it very clear, in not so pleasant words, that he doesn’t like British people.

So, it would appear that the reason the cleaners and the owners were so hostile towards us wasn’t because we were untidy – which was lies anyway – it was because they dislike English people. Other Kiwi guests also talk about rudeness towards them from the owners, so it just seems that they are not people’s people.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, do what a lot of the guests do and stay well clear of the Reception area.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Nelson, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

We spent a night at Alexandra holiday park on our family trip around the South Island.

We were offered the tourist flat which has ample space and equipment to accommodate up to ten people so our family of five were very comfortable in it.

The unit was in the process of being revamped and we would definitely look to using it, if we were seeking similar space in Alexandra again.

The welcome there was friendly and helpful and we found this to be a great value for money stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
New Plymouth, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

This place is just walkable if you are getting the Intercity bus which drops you in the centre of Alexandra from where it is about 20 minutes walk to the camground.
It is a huge place offering tent sites,cabins,caravan parking and just about anything else possible.
The facilities are good with plenty of showers and toilets and a large kitchen but things are on the older scale of things.
The cabins are probably best described as basic with no frills but the old beds were okay to sleep on and it was reletively warm in the room at night.
At NZ$35-40 is was okay value and not bad for one night or so.

• Stayed May 2010

Been to Alexandra Holiday Park? Share your experiences!